Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should the TalkBoard votes be held in public?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should the TalkBoard votes be held in public?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think it's very alarming that

a) TB members cannot be trusted to uphold their own rules
b) TB members will come up with all kinds of justifications to justify their rule breaches.

Koko - did you ask Spiff for his permission to copy a picture of his post into this forum? Did you ask Carol's permission? If you did not, then you are in clear breach of the rules. You may not quote what he says in private without his or Carol's permission. End of. You have quoted it. You have broken TB privacy rules. It doesn't matter what is said - it's the fact you did it.

If you sought his permission, I'll be happy to apologise and agree this was not a rule breach. But absent you seeking permission, this is a rule breach.

Originally Posted by RichMSN
This has nothing to do with moderation, either.
It's the attitude towards rules. And that does have a very clear corollary towards moderation. If TB members cannot police themselves to stay within the rules by which they have to abide, they have no right to believe they are fit to have any say in moderator decisions. Why should I take direction as a moderator from someone who shows such scant disregard for the rules themselves?

And it's really sad. This rule-breaking - and your refusal to acknowledge that there has been a clear rule breach - is derailing discussion on what should have been a good idea.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:07 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have to say I love this suggestion... a brilliant sugguestion made by that wharvey guy....

Seriously, I believe this allows more transparency... and provides us general members more information on how we are being represented.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Jenbel
And it's really sad. This rule-breaking - and your refusal to acknowledge that there has been a clear rule breach - is derailing discussion on what should have been a good idea.
The only one derailing the discussion is you.

Would you kindly focus on the issue at hand so I am not forced to report your off topic posts to the forum moderator. Because by failing to stick to the topic you are committing a TOS violation. You know, the rules that you are sworn to uphold as a moderator. If you cannot police yourself to stay within the rules by which you have to abide, we have no right to believe you are fit to have any say in moderator decisions. Why should I take moderation from someone who shows such scant disregard [sic?] for the rules themselves?

See, nit-pickery is a double edged sword. @:-)

Seriously, though, if you want to talk about kicking me off the TB or moderation or whatever, start a new thread.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I think some people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The only insider info I've learned is that the private forums have banner ads.

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw that kokonutz posted the same time as me, asking to keep this thread on topic.

Last edited by N965VJ; Jan 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:38 pm

You need to review the TB rules urgently.
Did Koko seek Carol or Spiff's consent? If he did not, then it's a breach of the rules. Now, I happen to think this is nowhere near as malicious as some other breaches I am aware of. The information is nothing really interesting or exciting. That does not stop it being a rule breach.
So, not as malicious as some but still malicious. Are you joking?

While you might agree with what koko is trying to do - that does not stop it being a rule breach. The rule is pretty black and white and inescapable. Don't try and rewrite it in your mind because you don't want it to apply.
You seem to need an urgent lesson in the difference between 'the spirit of the law' and 'the letter of the law'. Sheesh.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Honestly, though, if that's what mods do, nit pick to find technical violations to prosecute someone who is trying to help improve FlyerTalk, it would be wise to keep any decisions about moderation well away from them.
Such a perfect description of what is happening here. And makes me question the motivation behind it.

This rule-breaking - and your refusal to acknowledge that there has been a clear rule breach - is derailing discussion on what should have been a good idea.
The derailing is all you.

Great idea, btw. ^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:43 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The only one derailing the discussion is you.

Would you kindly focus on the issue at hand so I am not forced to report your off topic posts to the forum moderator. Because by failing to stick to the topic you are committing a TOS violation. You know, the rules that you are sworn to uphold as a moderator. If you cannot police yourself to stay within the rules by which you have to abide, we have no right to believe you are fit to have any say in moderator decisions. Why should I take moderation from someone who shows such scant disregard [sic?] for the rules themselves?

See, nit-pickery is a double edged sword. @:-)

Seriously, though, if you want to talk about kicking me off the TB or moderation or whatever, start a new thread.
Brilliant!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I think it's very alarming that

a) TB members cannot be trusted to uphold their own rules
b) TB members will come up with all kinds of justifications to justify their rule breaches.

Koko - did you ask Spiff for his permission to copy a picture of his post into this forum? Did you ask Carol's permission? If you did not, then you are in clear breach of the rules. You may not quote what he says in private without his or Carol's permission. End of. You have quoted it. You have broken TB privacy rules. It doesn't matter what is said - it's the fact you did it.

If you sought his permission, I'll be happy to apologise and agree this was not a rule breach. But absent you seeking permission, this is a rule breach.

It's the attitude towards rules. And that does have a very clear corollary towards moderation. If TB members cannot police themselves to stay within the rules by which they have to abide, they have no right to believe they are fit to have any say in moderator decisions. Why should I take direction as a moderator from someone who shows such scant disregard for the rules themselves?

How is this on topic? Should this not be a PM *if* it is a sincere belief rather than attempt at intimidation?

Should not a moderator, granted authority to enforce these rules in others, not adhere to a higher standard themselves?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems to me the only reason to have private TB forum would be if different TOS applies

(until such a time that TB is voting on issues more "emotionally" complex than creating forums etc)

maybe im missing something, but Spiff didnt "say" anything in pictured post? its TB "legalese" that was subsequently posted publicly verbatim, all according to standard operating procedure.

ah, one thing is that it was posted 1 day before this thread was created publicly >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...xas-forum.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 18, 2012 at 9:15 pm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

To be honest, I have more concern about a moderator who has no concept of the spirit and intent of rules and think that the rules are a "black and white" issue. So should general members of FT.

So with that said, let's stay on topic, shall we?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
it seems to me the only reason to have private TB forum would be if different TOS applies

(until such a time that TB is voting on issues more "emotionally" complex than creating forums etc)

maybe im missing something, but Spiff didnt "say" anything in pictured post? its TB "legalese" that was subsequently posted publicly verbatim, all according to standard operating procedure.

ah, one thing is that it was posted 1 day before this thread was created publicly >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...xas-forum.html
But it was posted after the fact. Nothing was divulged ahead of time. Spiff was merely performing his duties and nothing he said there was ultimately privileged.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea !^
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by RichMSN
But it was posted after the fact. Nothing was divulged ahead of time. Spiff was merely performing his duties and nothing he said there was ultimately privileged.
Please explain where the concept of 'privilege' is included in the TB rules? You seem to be adding in a new concept. Everything another TB member says in the private forum - no matter how mundane - can only be revealed on the public forum by that TB member. There are no exceptions in the TB rules - I posted what it said earlier on this thread - no exceptions. As soon as one TB member reveals what another TB member says - no matter how mundane - without their permission - that is a breach of the TB rule.

BTW - this post shows most clearly I am not the only one derailing. Afterall, I first responded to a comment by RichMSN

Strange, how the anti-moderation crowd cannot see a problem with the rules being broken. Perhaps we start to see to the heart of their problem with moderation?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:36 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Jen, I've had high regard for a lot of things that you've posted over the years, and while I don't always agree, I've respected your opinion.

That said, if Spiff or anyone else (including you) had a problem with what was posted in post #1 of this thread, then the procedure is to do what any other FT member would do and hit the red triangle to report it or PM the proper authorities. It would then be Carol's or Craig's job to determine whether there was a breach of the TB rules and take care of it. I appreciate that you think you are trying to be the TB police here, but even though you are a moderator, you are not in charge of this forum or any other except for CBuzz and Virgin.

And yes, I would admit that RichMSN was the first to mention it, so you felt compelled to respond. But you of all people should know what the protocol is to report things that you don't think are right. Airing them out in the open as you have is NOT the way to do it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
So ANYWAY....back to the original post's topic....

I have come to learn that it may be the case that the poll technology can only allow posters to view the vote counts live. That only admins can click on the number to see who voted how. If that's the case, then perhaps the only way to have full voting information live is to do the voting via posts in a separate voting sub-forum or perhaps in the town hall forum.

So until we can verify how the poll feature would work in real life, I guess the most productive use of this thread is to talk about what is important:

- Seeing votes tallied live

- Seeing who votes how live

- Both

- Neither, keeping the votes and roll call secret until voting ends (either after 2 weeks or after all 9 TB members vote, whichever comes first).

- Something else?

And, again, if you want to talk about me or moderation or TB guidelines (whether it is to pillory me or defend me), please, PM me or Carol or Craig or start a new thread.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:29 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Thank you Koko for bringing this back to the topic of: Should the TalkBoard votes be held in public?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.