Talkboard is considering Term Limits - seeking your input

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Anything missing on either side?

Pros of term limits as proposed:

Overcomes inherent incumbent advantage, ensuring new blood and fresh ideas in each TB seat every four years at the most.

****I don't see it as an inherent incumbent advantage. There are some people whom, after being voted into office, I'm sure folks, after seeing their voting record or participation record, would never vote for again.

Motivates TB members to be active rather than passive stewards of FT as their time to serve is limited.

****How? There have been 1 termers who have been more passive than some several termers.

Prevents a permanent class of TB members from emerging/prevents posters from using long-term service on TB as a CV-builder for their travel blogs, services or other for-profit ventures.

****There was only 1 former TBer who this can be referring to - none other have done this...and FWIW, the members elected that person by a landslide every time.

Ensures that TB members spend at least one year out of five experiencing FT from the perspective of a poster rather than a TB member/poster.

****Don't think this is as necessary for TBers as it is for Moderators.

Ensures that no weirdo masochists use prolonged service on the TB to get their sick jollies.

****Okay...no argument here!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
^^^^^^^^^^^

(And I add my amen to Eastbay1K's comment with love and respect to a few members of the current TalkBoard who I consider good friends.)

Who's to say the fresh blood can't reach out to the crustiest, oldest, and most dedicated former TB members for advice and counsel?
They can try, but sometimes when you try and take the crust off, you just find more crust underneath.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by essxjay
Just responding to some of the doublespeak posted thus far.
And doing an excellent job of it:

Originally Posted by essxjay
I didn't realize TBers took a break from being a regular remember
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: Too many
Voters are typically going to vote for people that are already elected or posters that have been on the boards for a long period of time with high post counts

Strongly in favour of term limits.

You need fresh ideas and new input from a variety of posters.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How many of the current Talk Board members have held office for two or more terms? Is it more than one?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:28 pm

In favor of term limits. The proposal seems like a decent number (4 years on, must take 1 off)

We've never had a shortage of candidates to run for TB election. You can't convince me that name recognition doesn't have a major effect on the results.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:48 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Thus why I believe no one should serve more than two terms total... taking one year off will not stop them from getting re-elected. So you would probably have someone serving 8 out of 9 years... not much of a term limit...

Originally Posted by whlinder
We've never had a shortage of candidates to run for TB election. You can't convince me that name recognition doesn't have a major effect on the results.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:58 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by tom911
How many of the current Talk Board members have held office for two or more terms? Is it more than one?
Here are election results in a nutshell:

2006 - techgirl, Spiff, Jenbel, bhatnasx
2007 - gleff, Cholula, lucky9876coins, Punki, kokonutz
2008 - Spiff, bhatnasx, skywalkerLAX, nsx
2009 - gleff (replaced by UA_Flyer), lucky9876coins, Markie, B747-437B, Radioman (replaced by jackal)
2010 - Spiff, Cholula, SkiAdcock, bhatnasx
2011 - goalie, kokonutz, nsx, jackal, RichMSN

I couldn't find anything concrete as to who was elected in years prior to 2006 or if anyone prior to the 2009 election was replaced by another member, but perhaps someone else could shed some light on those.

So interestingly enough, all of this year's "winners" would have been eligible if the rule was "two terms on, one year off", and the only ones who would not have been eligible to run again would have been gleff and lucky9876coins if they were to attempt to run. I think the rest of the data speaks for itself.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here's one more take - term limits are pretty useless, IMO. Some countries have had term limits for decades - doesn't materially make a difference to the voters; some states have put term limits in place - it merely changes the game, and eliminates people who are invested in the long urn or have contributions to make because of longtime experience.

The people elected are more important than term limits, but the idea of term limits is great window dressing - but that's all it is.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by lo2e
I couldn't find anything concrete as to who was elected in years prior to 2006 or if anyone prior to the 2009 election was replaced by another member, but perhaps someone else could shed some light on those.
The first TB formed in 2001. Randy appointed three members (Dorian, Punki and spvii), six were elected (Cigarman for sure.) Randy suspended campaigning/voting for some length of time -- a week maybe? -- due to events on 9/11. A number of resignation were tendered within a few months of the election and wharvey, Spiff and hfly were appointed as replacements. The rest of the story you'll have to dig for yourself.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Term limits isn't a new idea.. As I wade through condo by-laws and community association by-laws, it is actually quite common..

The reasoning is interestingly similar to some of the opinions in this thread.. To give everyone a chance to serve.. but usually, its one term off and on again for another term or up to three, what I've been reading.. this an aside to what FT does..

But I agree with the notion, it only could be window dressing before the inevitable happens.. that worthy directors are re-elected to serve..
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Spiff and Cholula have both served more than two terms. Cholula took a one year break after his second term and is currently in his third.

I can not tell you how many terms Spiff has served, but he was on TB before I was elected my first time (in 2004) and has remained on since.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I agree with term limits with a break in-between to start the counter running again. I like the idea of having new ideas/positions on the board.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Dovster
Spiff and Cholula have both served more than two terms. Cholula took a one year break after his second term and is currently in his third.

I can not tell you how many terms Spiff has served, but he was on TB before I was elected my first time (in 2004) and has remained on since.
bhatnasx has also served (at least) three terms.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
For housekeeping reasons, please follow the discussion on a specific initiative the TB is considering:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...rm-limits.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.