Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Change Coupon Connection Access Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Change Coupon Connection Access Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff
Posting for the sake of gaining access to Coupon Connection is an excellent way to get your Coupon Connection access revoked for a long time.
Exactly. Rapid-fire posting and then -- wonders! -- posting # 181 being in Coupon Connection will almost always get one masked because the intent is clear, both from that last post and from the rapidity of the posting (particularly when it is suddenly out of character).

There are lots of warnings about this in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...onnection.html
but it seems that many folks in that thread didn't believe them.

The mods are VERY good about spotting rapid-fire "runs."
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Too bad the mask doesn't also happen with Omni. We have several posters who had below 50 posts when the announcement was made with the new entry requirements, and magically, they managed to get to 180 by the time it took effect.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mary2e
We have several posters who had below 50 posts when the announcement was made with the new entry requirements, and magically, they managed to get to 180 by the time it took effect.
As long as such posts were communicating thread-relevant content that was helpful to some other FTers or otherwise communicated relevant content which is not an obvious violation of FT TOS, that seems to suggest this move may have worked to make some FTers more active contributors to FT than they would otherwise have been. I'm not sure why that would necessarily be a bad development.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
After being a member for over a year and now finally reaching 90 posts, i see you changed the bar to reach coupon connection. This was a bad idea for folks like me that only speak when we have something valuable to add to the conversation. Anyone can add useless posts. I can understand maybe raising the bar by requiring you be registered for a longer period of time. But 180 posts? Been working on my 90 posts for over a year and now find there is a new bar to reach. Bad move FT Board.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by GottaGoFlying
... I can understand maybe raising the bar by requiring you be registered for a longer period of time. But 180 posts? Been working on my 90 posts for over a year and now find there is a new bar to reach.
If you can make 73 posts within the last 30 days, I am sure the new 180-post bar won't be too big a problem for you to participate in any interesting discussion on FT.

ETA: Just keep in mind any "useless" post run will only get someone farther away from CC entrance.

Last edited by lin821; Nov 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm Reason: ETA
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
After being a member for over a year and now finally reaching 90 posts, i see you changed the bar to reach coupon connection. This was a bad idea for folks like me that only speak when we have something valuable to add to the conversation. Anyone can add useless posts. I can understand maybe raising the bar by requiring you be registered for a longer period of time. But 180 posts? Been working on my 90 posts for over a year and now find there is a new bar to reach. Bad move FT Board.
This happened months ago. Be active, and you'll get there. I personally got to 90 posts long before 90 days. Instead of complaining to Talkboard, start posting more! You've been a member for over a year. FTers are interested in your opinions as well!

Originally Posted by lin821
If you can make 73 posts within the last 30 days, I am sure the new 180-post bar won't be too big a problem for you to participate in any interesting discussion on FT.

ETA: Just keep in mind any "useless" post run will only get someone farther away from CC entrance.
Where do you get 73 posts in the last 30 days?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Where do you get 73 posts in the last 30 days?
Just go and check the posting history from anyone's profile, then you'll see how, when & where someone makes posts. FTers' posting history is "public record." Said poster has been much more active during the last 30 days than the previous say 12 months.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
I was out of the country and not able to access FT for a while.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I was out of the country and not able to access FT for a while.

FT is accessible on a global basis as we have members in nearly every civilized country in the world. And probably more than a few in some uncivilized countries.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Cholula
FT is accessible on a global basis as we have members in nearly every civilized country in the world. And probably more than a few in some uncivilized countries.
There are definitely civilized FTers in uncivilized countries. And uncivilized FTers in civilized countries JK of course!!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lin821
Just go and check the posting history from anyone's profile, then you'll see how, when & where someone makes posts. FTers' posting history is "public record." Said poster has been much more active during the last 30 days than the previous say 12 months.
Anything that makes people more active posters is fine by me, as long as the posts are valuable posts in the community. And that only blatant post-padding in order to meet the requirement should raise eyebrows.

This is one place where a lot of people seem to be less than inclusive and friendly. Personally, I'm not sure I care if people post 180 times -- I think that a membership length of 180 days probably eliminate the trolls in OMNI, for example.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Personally, I'm not sure I care if people post 180 times -- I think that a membership length of 180 days probably eliminate the trolls in OMNI, for example.
That's my take too on the OMNI posting requirements which I supported as a TB member. We're just trying to take out the obvious trolls, Spammers and search engine bots. Not trying to necessarily limit anyone's access to the OMNI's if they are so excited about the opportunity that they'll throw in a few extra posts here and there.

Coupon Connection, where goods are traded and some serious $$$ equivalents change hands, is a whole different matter IMO. I'd be much more apt to report and/or stop a CC post-runner than I would one trying to gain access to the OMNI's in a similar manner.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Cholula
That's my take too on the OMNI posting requirements which I supported as a TB member. We're just trying to take out the obvious trolls, Spammers and search engine bots. Not trying to necessarily limit anyone's access to the OMNI's if they are so excited about the opportunity that they'll throw in a few extra posts here and there.

Coupon Connection, where goods are traded and some serious $$$ equivalents change hands, is a whole different matter IMO. I'd be much more apt to report and/or stop a CC post-runner than I would one trying to gain access to the OMNI's in a similar manner.
Agreed. I'm not a CC person, but I can understand being protective of such a forum. OMNI? I'd prefer listening to the person who's been moderating OMNI for the past few years.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:59 pm
Formerly damitssam

What exactly is Coupon connection or Omni for the newbies?!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by damitssam
What exactly is Coupon connection or Omni for the newbies?!
According to the forum descriptions, Coupon Connection is

The exchange forum for legally transferable coupons issued by various frequent traveler programs. This is N-O-T a forum for anything related to the buying, selling or barter of awards.

While OMNI & OMNI/PR are

OMNI is the place for vibrant dialogue on topics unrelated to miles, points, and travel. It is fascinating reading and provides quite a bit of humor and entertainment.

Politics and religion are two hot button topics that have earned a special place in the land of OMNI. While passionate debate is encouraged, civility is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.