Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bobsgt
As a preface to this post I would like to note that I like kokonutz, I have voted for Koko for TB before, and would do so again.
Thanks, dude!

Now the nitty-gritty, from someone who has never been a moderator nor run for TB- and is unlikely to be asked to serve in either capacity:

I generally vote for TB candidates who are or have been moderators. Bearing in mind the adage that 'power corrupts', I find reviewing a candidate's actions while in a position of authority (moderating) to be a likely indicator of how they might behave when elected to TB. While Kokonutz's proposal would not stop a member from being a mod and then giving it up to serve on TB, it would pose another dilemna for me as a voter- If I vote for candidate X because I like the way they moderate, what will the impact be on the forum they will no longer be moderating? I would not have voted for three of the four TB candidates I did in this most recent election had I known that they would cease to be Mods as a result of my vote. Why? The forums are more important to me than TB from a "Joe the FT User" perspective. And given the handful of members who actually do vote (1850 +/-) I would suggest that I am not alone.

That being said, Koko's proposal addresses a perceived harm, but does not establish an actual harm as presented. It is a Rexford Tugwell (The Emerging Constitution) dilemna- we can write the perfect constitution, but can we actually ratify it? TB could probably rewrite every rule to avoid perceived ills, but it will lead to endless debates and a guidelines spanning hundreds of pages...

I believe TB, given what I have seen of it's operations over the past six years (I lurked before I lept), keeps it's own in check when necessary- up to and including removal from TB. And we must keep in mind that the TalkBoard is not congress. The whole FT experience exists at the whim of the "company" that owns it. It could be sold to Google tomorrow- and our 'votes' would have no force or effect in that decision.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (risk of change paradigm- just for gleff). I fear a change that would turn my favourite forums over to new moderators, and I fear a TB that has no experience working within the framework of FT.
Ok, you don't think mixed perspectives have been a problem in the past. I strongly disagree, and I think the UA/CO merger process is just the latest example of TB moderators not worrying about a TB function because the moderator corps already created their own action plan.

But forget the past. Let's look forward.

And the thing is, you get right at the heart of the matter in the bolded bit above. The era of FT being under Randy's benevolent dictatorship is at an end. FT is going fully corporate now. The blurry line between working for 'Randy's community' and working for IB is now a bright line: the mods work for IB.

Frankly if I were a moderator I'd probably be organizing some collective bargaining with the boys at IB, working toward a compensation package of some sort. Now, some would say that such a notion is exactly why I am not allowed to be a moderator, but the fact of the matter is that what was heretofore a benevolent dictatorship divided up into fiefdoms where regional governors kept the peace through noblesse oblige and Randy's oversight is transforming into an corporate sweatshop. Like it or not, things ARE changing.

And through this change it would be comforting to know that the folks on the elected focus group actually represented only the perspective of the posters.

Then again, perhaps IB and Carol will find the TB irrelevant. Maybe IB will professionalize moderation of their own volition. But in the meantime, imho, active moderators already have split perspectives. And that split is only going to widen through the coming change.

The emotional dynamic runs at full tilt between some of the posters here, and I am certainly not one to throw stones over that topic as I frequently get very upset and walk away from FT for days at a time until I have regained my perspective .(Ok, I lurk- but I don't log in ) But in the end, I know we cannot legislate perfect behaviour, nor can we drag those who offend us to the communitybuzz forum for a public flogging. My impression is that this proposal is more of an escalation of interpersonal dynamics than a malignancy that requires new rules to cure.
This is not personal. Not for me, anyway. I suspect, but will never be able to confirm, that it is personal for some folks who like to have as many titles under their name as possible. We are a community, after all, of people who define ourselves by the various 'status'es we hold.

As for perspective, I believe I may have originally coined (or stolen from somewhere else) the acronym IJAFIBB. Nothing said or done on FT is as important as the LEAST important thing that ever happens in real life. ^

That said, I am a fan of citizen legislators, of untainted opinions and of pure perspectives. I neither gain nor lose anything personally from this proposal. I believe that the entire posting community stands to gain from it though, and that it would stand as a bulwark for my philosophical priorities.

As we learned from Bill and Ted, "be excellent to each other!"

As one of the "small people" (non-authority FT'ers), that is my take on the proposal.
I prefer "The Dude Abides."

And the Dude abides.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
As a former TalkBoard member AND a former moderator, I would absolutely 100% support Koko's proposal.

I in no way want to limit how anyone participates in FT or how much time they give to/spend on FlyerTalk. But my experience is that moderators have access to information and discussion that makes it very difficult to represent the community impartially.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by techgirl
As a former TalkBoard member AND a former moderator, I would absolutely 100% support Koko's proposal.

I in no way want to limit how anyone participates in FT or how much time they give to/spend on FlyerTalk. But my experience is that moderators have access to information and discussion that makes it very difficult to represent the community impartially.
Bravo!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thank you so much for sharing your perspective & so well done/though out/articulated. Very much appreciated. And may we all 'be excellent to each other'.

Cheers. Sharon
Thank you, SkiAdcock. I appreciate your acknowledgement
(I knew I was going to like you from the way you handled yourself in the "Come fly to me" thread when one of your posts was grossly misunderstood.)

<snip> But my experience is that moderators have access to information and discussion that makes it very difficult to represent the community impartially.
ME: I read this as an interested outsider, sitting in a roomful of people with security clearances way above my pay grade. Thank you for sharing your perspective! ^

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Ok, you don't think mixed perspectives have been a problem in the past. <snip>

ME: From my position as an end-user, I have not taken notice of any ill effect on the product (FT). Caveat: As an outsider, I do not have the same information as you. I can llok at the NW/DL merged threads and be happy with what I got. I don't have that nagging little voice in my head saying "BUt if we had done it this way, it would have been so much better. I logged in, found the new thread, and rolled with it. I am unencumbered by the 'what ifs' that come with the additional knowledge you posess.

<snip>
This is not personal. Not for me, anyway.

ME: I can accept that on face from you, Kokonutz, but some of what has been written in this short thread doesn't seem very friendly- as in "Spiff will just block it".
<snip>
That said, I am a fan of citizen legislators, of untainted opinions and of pure perspectives. I neither gain nor lose anything personally from this proposal. I believe that the entire posting community stands to gain from it though, and that it would stand as a bulwark for my philosophical priorities.

ME: Here is a well articulated paragraph that I think should have been in your original post (my hindsight is pretty good, eh?). But I still have not read an explanation of why this proposal is necessary. I have not seen anything in the proposal itself that establishes a harm that this proposal will cure. You wrote the OP to include phrasing such as "Not that they DO, but they COULD" which indicates this proposal does not have a problem to address yet, making this proposal pre-emptory. I can support a prophylactic measure, but only when a need to do so has first been established. You may well be able to establish this need, but I suggest that you have not yet done so. I realize that it is difficult to cite examples without running afoul of the forum rules, but a clever sophist should be able to find a way
Obviously my support or oversion to this proposal really doesn't mean much one way or another. But in recognition of a point Kokonutz makes, I have a different perspective from most (if not all) of the other posters in this thread in that I have never been anything at FT other than a registered user. My post count is artificially inflated from the "come fly to me" thread. I had 246 posts until then, and likely only 20-30 that were of any value to anyone of those. (Explaining how credit card processing works, what an expedia booked room is from the hotel perspective, a few MR deals.)

In summary, I shared my opinion not only because I like to hear myself talk, but because I wanted to share my unique perspective with the board and interested FT'ers. My position, at this point in time and based on the information available to me at this moment, is that my experience would be diminished if I had to choose between Cholula moderating the AS forum or serving on TB. I would not put my favourite mods on TB. And that means I may well end up voting for less-qualified, or perhaps even unqualified candidates for TB. And as a California voter that just faced that dilemna in November, I do not want to have to make that kind of choice here.

For what amounts to volunteer army at TB, I am exceedingly pleased with most aspects of what I see as "Joe the average user". But I have an open mind, and could be made to see value in this proposal if somebody would explain to me how I would benefit if this change were made.

Cheers!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Bravo!^
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Bravo Four.

I served with techgirl during my 2 year elected term on Talkboard, and Jen and I seldom voted the same way on any motion, so there is no mutual back-slapping going on here - as the voting records will clearly show.

A brave and honest post, and a most telling one, carrying far more weight than most on this thread IMHO, to any savvy readers.

As Koko says "the times they are a changin" with FT and IB and Randy et al.

I agree with him the Mod group should communally hit up whomever is making the mega bucks from all the ads here, for some recompense for their time and input, and if that comes to pass, there really must be separation of powers.

A year back this idea would be a total non-starter, but in 2011 .. who really knows?

Glen
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
[SIZE="4"]
As Koko says "the times they are a changin" with FT and IB and Randy et al.
They sure are.

In addition to requiring TB members to take a leave of absence from FT moderation, I think TB members should take a leave of absence from MilePoint leadership roles. MilePoint is a direct competitor to FT and there could be a conflict of interests to serve in a leadership capacity on both sites. To be clear, I am not saying there IS a conflict. I'm saying there is the perception of one and there clearly COULD be one.

Gleff acknowledged this when he resigned from the TB (and its presidency) to go work on MilePoint.

I think that was the right thing to do and should be made part of the TB Guidelines.

Maybe I should have started a separate thread as this is a related but different issue.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by kokonutz
They sure are.

In addition to requiring TB members to take a leave of absence from FT moderation, I think TB members should take a leave of absence from MilePoint leadership roles. MilePoint is a direct competitor to FT and there could be a conflict of interests to serve in a leadership capacity on both sites. To be clear, I am not saying there IS a conflict. I'm saying there is the perception of one and there clearly COULD be one.

Gleff acknowledged this when he resigned from the TB (and its presidency) to go work on MilePoint.

I think that was the right thing to do and should be made part of the TB Guidelines.

Maybe I should have started a separate thread as this is a related but different issue.
I think you should have started a separate thread.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I think you should have started a separate thread.
lol, ok, I will.

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I have complete and absolute support for kokonutz's proposal, and with his permission, would like to introduce it as a motion to TalkBoard once it has run its course of discussion here.
AS am I ^
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
That the membership have elected Moderators year after year tends to suggest that fewer of the membership see this an a real issue, that do some people here.

As TB motions can only be made by TB members, unless you can obtain traction from a couple of the current members this won't get to First Base. However, elections are due in a few months and this could certainly be a platform for anyone running for TB.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Markie
That the membership have elected Moderators year after year tends to suggest that fewer of the membership see this an a real issue, that do some people here.
How much of that is due to the fact that censoring discussion of moderation prevents the membership at large from becoming aware of the conflicts that occur on a regular basis?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by B747-437B
How much of that is due to the fact that censoring discussion of moderation prevents the membership at large from becoming aware of the conflicts that occur on a regular basis?
Not sure, but I am afraid that since your regretted departure from TB there is no one championing the idea of term limits, and so we might well see the position remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Markie
Not sure, but I am afraid that since your regretted departure from TB there is no one championing the idea of term limits, and so we might well see the position remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.
Term limits & mods being elected to TB by FTers are 2 separate issues.

Speaking only for myself I'm supportive of term limits ala, serve 2 terms, take 1-2 years off, like professional assns I belong to do, and which I mentioned in the term limits thread in this forum that koko started. I do not support the if you've served it means you can never serve again. Also doesn't mean the topic won't be discussed & voted on this year, btw. There's plenty of time, & even B747 when he was on TB, said he'd bring it up later in the year.

And WRT to mods being TB members, I don't have a problem w/ it. I'm not a moderator & still feel that way. I've never subscribed to the black helicopter thing re: mods.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
even B747 when he was on TB, said he'd bring it up later in the year.
And now of course B747 is no longer on TB. Conspiracy theory anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.