Search

Forum Proposal: Only IB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Forum Proposal: Only IB

Since IB now runs this place, and Randy does not, wouldn't it be nice if there was one forum where we could ask IB questions?

For instance, my first question would be what in the hell was the IT team thinking when it changed the way that My Flyertalk functioned.

My second question would be why wasn't anyone on FT asked prior to making the change.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since it is neither within the power nor purview of TB to decide how IB communicate, it has as much sense to ask TB to create an "IB only forum" as to ask them to create an "Obama only forum" or a "God only forum" unless the aim is just to provide a ranting space for some FTers. But if that is the aim, then perhaps it would be more honest to call it the "ranting and raving only forum".
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
Since it is neither within the power nor purview of TB to decide how IB communicate, it has as much sense to ask TB to create an "IB only forum" as to ask them to create an "Obama only forum" or a "God only forum" unless the aim is just to provide a ranting space for some FTers. But if that is the aim, then perhaps it would be more honest to call it the "ranting and raving only forum".
Why are you assuming IB wouldn't write back?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Since IB now runs this place, and Randy does not
I don't believe that statement is completely accurate.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Aren't there already Technical Issues and Suggestions forums in place?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would like to see IB have a more obvious presence on FT in the manner suggested by the opening of such a forum, but then again I'm not sure what useful things it would accomplish if IB is intent upon just doing (or not doing) whatever IB is intent upon doing (or not doing) in response to member concerns.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 17, 2010 at 1:01 am
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
wouldn't it be nice if there was one forum where we could ask IB questions?
I know some TalkBoard members have addressed this during the election.

Remember this question:

Question 7: What would you say to IB about tech issues?

I think RichMSN, who was not chosen, addressed it pretty well:

Someone needs to step up and be a liasion between IB and FT members. While in theory this would be Randy, I've seen too many instances lately where Randy isn't aware of issues or changes and I'm convinced it's because Randy already has a lot on his plate. I do not know if this would be someone from TalkBoard, although I think this would be a great role for one of the elected representatives.

If that person was me, I would sit down with a list of concerns brought to me by members and would ask, mainly, for one thing -- a lurker who could have his/her own forum to address questions like this directly. I would suggest as the model the very excellent William Sanders, the Starwood Lurker, who does not always have pleasant or popular news for people and is not afraid to tell people when they are being a bit unreasonable, but is pretty much universally respected.

Whether IB would be willing to do that is another question only they can answer, but it's time someone steps up and tries to get them to the table to talk directly to the customers.
And from winner lucky9876coins who supported a dedicated IB forum:

I'm not much of a tech guy, so I'd probably be the wrong person to sit down with them. Heck, the only cookies I know of are the ones in my kitchen.

Anyway, there definitely are issues, even for a technologically unsavvy guy like me, relating to the reliability and at times functionality of FlyerTalk. But I'm sure they know of those problems as well as I do, yet they seem not to care.

I like Rich's idea. While I doubt they'd be receptive to it, the best way to hold them accountable would be for them to have a dedicated forum for members to post their thoughts/comments/complaints in, and hopefully have an official lurker that would respond. It sounds nice, at least in theory...
And from winner Markie who advocated IB sitting down with the TalkBoard before making changes:

I feel that FT has been terribly let down by IB. I am not sure they understood our community when they first acquired the board. However, they do seem to 'get it' in person when they have sent reps to Moderator Meetings.

I think they need to find a way to pay back their investment, but some of that has been heavy handed.

I'd love to sit down with IT and discuss what makes FT special and possibly unique in the board they own. I'd like to be honest and accept that they have to make money from the board, and to work out ways that they can do this without having a negative impact. I'd like to encourage them to discuss things with TalkBoard in advance of making changes, so at least people can be told what's going to happen. Engagement usually generates light even if we don't agree!
Maybe the last two members I quoted here, who are TalkBoard members, can comment about how things are going between TalkBoard and Internet Brands. I don't recall seeing TalkBoard members post about any of this on the public side of the forum. Have any of you been in contact with Internet Brands about the future of FT and the concerns members have expressed?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are you assuming IB wouldn't write back?
Well, I thought that this was the TB forum, i.e. the forumconcerned with issues pertaining with TB. What you are talking about has nothing to do with TB. The ORP forum would be rather more relevant to such a thread, imo, than TB.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe the last two members I quoted here, who are TalkBoard members, can comment about how things are going between TalkBoard and Internet Brands. I don't recall seeing TalkBoard members post about any of this on the public side of the forum. Have any of you been in contact with Internet Brands about the future of FT and the concerns members have expressed?
Great research. ^

Yes, let's hear from our TB representatives who campaigned on communication with IB.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Well, I thought that this was the TB forum, i.e. the forumconcerned with issues pertaining with TB. What you are talking about has nothing to do with TB. The ORP forum would be rather more relevant to such a thread, imo, than TB.
What are you talking about? TB recommends new forums be created. Why would I ask Randy to create a forum when that is (the only thing?) TB does?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you talking about? TB recommends new forums be created. Why would I ask Randy to create a forum when that is (the only thing?) TB does?
You may want to look again at what you posted and what I was replying to.
If you go back to asking TB to create a forum, I point you back to my original reply: there would be just as much point in TB voting to create an "IB only" forum as there is in TB voting to create an "Obama only" forum: TB is not IB and has no power to determine how IB want to communicate. Even if TB created such a forum, this would not in itself result in IB staff using it in pretty much the same way as if TB decided to create an 'Obama only' forum, this would not automatically result in Obama participating in FT and deciding to answer posts in that putative forum. The net result would be, as I suggested in my original answer, that the forum, if TB were unwise enough to create it in such circumstances, would be little more than a rant and rave forum.

Before there is any point whatsoever in TB discussing the creation of such a post, there would have to be a desire on the part of IB to use such a device. The point about posting the issue in ORP is that RP is better placed than TB to communicate with IB on this. Until it is established that IB would be interested in such a move, it is a pure waste of time and energy.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:40 am
Original Poster

You may want to look again at what you posted and what I was replying to.
If you go back to asking TB to create a forum, I point you back to my original reply: there would be just as much point in TB voting to create an "IB only" forum as there is in TB voting to create an "Obama only" forum: TB is not IB and has no power to determine how IB want to communicate. Even if TB created such a forum, this would not in itself result in IB staff using it in pretty much the same way as if TB decided to create an 'Obama only' forum, this would not automatically result in Obama participating in FT and deciding to answer posts in that putative forum. The net result would be, as I suggested in my original answer, that the forum, if TB were unwise enough to create it in such circumstances, would be little more than a rant and rave forum.

Before there is any point whatsoever in TB discussing the creation of such a post, there would have to be a desire on the part of IB to use such a device. The point about posting the issue in ORP is that RP is better placed than TB to communicate with IB on this. Until it is established that IB would be interested in such a move, it is a pure waste of time and energy.
Surely you read the transcripts of the various chats and whatnot Randy and IB had with us while Randy was selling this place to IB, yes? They expressed a distinct desire to have an active communication channel open between FT and IB. Based on my review of TB's actions, there has been little except campaign rhetoric regarding this issue. IB is on record as having requested such a channel. Read the chats; you can start here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...nternet+brands
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely you read the transcripts of the various chats and whatnot Randy and IB had with us while Randy was selling this place to IB, yes? They expressed a distinct desire to have an active communication channel open between FT and IB. Based on my review of TB's actions, there has been little except campaign rhetoric regarding this issue. IB is on record as having requested such a channel. Read the chats; you can start here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...nternet+brands
Yeah, sure. I spend every hour that god gives me reviewing 3 year old threads .

But since you provided the link (thxs), I did skim through and you will have to tell me where it says that IB wanted an IB only forum in those chats as I just can't find it. I did, however, see that JohnMcG state that, should an FTer find that IB comms were not good, they could email JohnMcG.

Presumably you have done that very recently and John has told you that IB really wants an IB only forum to be created? Because, yes, at that stage, it would make sense to have TB involved. Before that, however, it is rather pointless.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:29 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

magician:
it may or may not make any difference to your discussion, but there really is a fairly active dialogue between the Moderators and IB with regard to the technical issues on FlyerTalk. While it may be handled differently than in the past, there really is not much if anything missing.

For instance, in additional to the normal active dialogues for things such as this issue, in the Moderator forum, there are two ongoing threads for general tech issues and whether you accept it or not, the Mods have done an outstanding job of letting IB know exactly what doesn't work.

For instance, in the two active thread launched since IB took over tech for FlyerTalk, there are currently 965 posts back and forth between the Mods and IB regarding tech issues. These posts have been read 9,812 times by both sides, so there is plenty of interest and while you may not want to hear this, a balance of the 80+ Moderators does make for a pretty well-balanced view of tech things and really is not any different than a reflection of our general membership base.

So, to your point, there is plenty of dialogue already existing and it has helped tremendously, though as you point out, there is certainly some distance to go. As well, in the particular issue you have in front of you, I think IB has been active on the thread devoted to the topic. so it's not that they have hidden away. As to how they go about making their tech decisions differently than what the House of Miles did, you can ask those questions in the existing forums Tech issues and Suggestions and likely to get some sort of replies. I really don't remember that you thought there needed to be a direct forum for you to talk to or dialogue with the House of Miles staff when we handled tech, so I'm not understanding the newer need. Granted, I have some but not all of the same anguish re: tech issues as you and hope that they've now understood the importance of a good search solution and as well the uptime of FlyerTalk, and they are well aware of those topics in my personal exchange with them.

I do believe that there are currently enough of a channel for dialogue to IB and that a different approach will not lead to different results. Again, look at the above numbers, your voice and concerns about certain tech issues is well-represented by your volunteer Moderators and there are any number of them who have not been shy at all with their opinions and comments toward IB.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:32 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Your better contact for these messages direct is with Brent Conver who is a registered member. He has taken the place some time ago of JohnMcG for the overall general management of the travel sector for IB which includes FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.