Wiki Posts
Search

Can a 35 minute turn @BHX be done?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Can a 35 minute turn @BHX be done?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth to throw some money at LX and do a mileadge-run on short notice over a weekend. Best destination I found is BHX which I could do a nested J-run for 20 K miles using two tickets bringing me home into my own bed on both evenings.

That said to do this I would need to turn within 35 minutes in BHX, basically leaving on the same plane I came on. Never been to BHX, so I wonder if this can be accomplished - online-checkin is available ex-BHX, so that should help reducing my turn-time. But: Do I need to go landside and back through security?

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 6, 2008, 2:23 am

Programs: LH SEN (*G)
Yes you will need to go landside and back through security. You will also have to go through UK immigration.

I would not like to try a 35 minute turn around at BHX. All you need is to get stuck in a queue somewhere to mess it up.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
As a regular at BHX, I would say this is too tight. You might have managed in T2 but they've moved to T1 now.

I've waited 10 mins in security and 10 mins in immigration before.

You don't tend to get ATC holds, but they're doing some work at BHX so a lot more flights are using buses and with only one bus drop off point (I believe) you can get a backlog forming here too.

Assume also that they will close the gate 10 mins before too.

If it helps, there are some decent hotels in Birmingham (Malmaison is very sylish and often reasonable) or you could head the other way and take a train to Oxford (1hr).
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by Mountain_Man
Yes you will need to go landside and back through security. You will also have to go through UK immigration.

I would not like to try a 35 minute turn around at BHX. All you need is to get stuck in a queue somewhere to mess it up.
With immigration being most likely to be the chief culprit, although security can be fun at the wrong time in the peaks. I reckon an hour turn would be safe, but 35 mins is asking for it.

However, I do understand airside transit (including T1-T2) is coming within the next couple of years.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks for your feedback...seems I need to get back to the drawing-board...;-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, LH SEN, CZ G, QR G, CX G, BA EC, HH D, MR S, SPG G, IC A
I agree with the previous posters. Immigration, security, and being bussed is the biggest problem. That said, I have twice managed to check-in with luggage for LX425 20min before take-off. The counter was already closed, but staff came back from around the ticket desk and let me check-in (I had no status at the time). That was back in T2 though.

If you want to give a turn around in 35min a try, I suggest flying into BHX on LX420 (possible from STR). If the flight is on time, there will be nobody at immigration but pax from ZRH. If you sit to the front of the cabin and hustle to immigration, you should breeze through. Going back through security at that time should be ok as well. Especially if you pick-up a Priority Channel stamp on your BP from the check-in desk.

You're still playing with fire though and might get burned.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by Desert Traveller
If you want to give a turn around in 35min a try, I suggest flying into BHX on LX420 (possible from STR). If the flight is on time, there will be nobody at immigration but pax from ZRH. If you sit to the front of the cabin and hustle to immigration, you should breeze through. Going back through security at that time should be ok as well. Especially if you pick-up a Priority Channel stamp on your BP from the check-in desk.

You're still playing with fire though and might get burned.

You've found the priority channel working! OK, I only fly out of the Council Terminal about once a month, but I've never seen it function.

I understand until the new international pier is finished, we can expect Buses, Buses and more Buses. Anyone would think we were at Bankfurt
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:11 am

Programs: SQ QPP, LH SEN, CZ G, QR G, CX G, BA EC, HH D, MR S, SPG G, IC A
Originally Posted by iainbhx
You've found the priority channel working
Yeah, it works, reduces the queue to about five people. Though a lot of the times, the security grunts do not read the BP carefully enough and send you into the queue. If you point it out to them though, they let you bypass the crowd.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:54 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Hello

Sorry to bumb this thread. So, did anyone acctually managed to do this turn around?
Does Security really need this stamp to get you into priority line or is the status on he BP and the card sufficient?
If not, I guess I would need to get the stamp from the LH check in desk, right?
Does LX 422 get a bus or a terminal gate?

Oh well, I will give it a try beginning of January, would appreciate your input and will definately tell you how I managed.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:19 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aquaguy
Will do this 6 days in a row.
Wow! Are you going for HON or something?

I hope immigration is not going to get awkward. Even if you go through the channel for EU passport holders, they swipe the barcode everytime you enter the UK. But they don't check anything when you leave the country. I hope immigration at BHX has heard of mileage runs.

BTW I've moved my reply to this thread .
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Oh well, I will give it a try beginning of January, would appreciate your input and will definately tell you how I managed.

Donīt do it!! 35 minutes are impossible at BHX, you will most likely be stuck... I have been to BHX a few times and even though it is a rather small airport, the security and immigration can take up to 10 minutes each, plus walking = not a good idea....
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Wow! Are you going for HON or something?
Hello

No, need to requalify in 2009, so thought to go for SEN. Try to do it as early as possible in the year so that I can utilize it.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by berlinflyer
Donīt do it!! 35 minutes are impossible at BHX, you will most likely be stuck... I have been to BHX a few times and even though it is a rather small airport, the security and immigration can take up to 10 minutes each, plus walking = not a good idea....
Hello

Well, already booked. I have been there several times too and I know that it will be very tight. But LX422 seems to be coming in all by itself, so one should have empty immigration. Even departure time looks ok, but security is still my main concern. Still not sure if it is better to run to the desk and get the stamp for priority line (which will cost another 5 min or so), or go right away to the security and take the normal line.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:17 am

Programs: LH
Question Well-Thought

I hope, you booked the six tickets well-thought.

If possible, it is advisable to book two tickets in a pair, like
Day one: ZRH - BHX on Ticket 1, BHX - ZRH on Ticket 2
Day two: BHX - ZRH on Ticket 2, ZRH - BHX on Ticket 1
This way, you can return on day two if you did not get the flight back on the first day.

If you book the first ticket to return on the last day, you risk that you have to get to BHX, no matter how, to proceed with the chain of the other tickets.

Last edited by chumbawumba; Dec 7, 2008 at 4:27 am
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
No, need to requalify in 2009, so thought to go for SEN. Try to do it as early as possible in the year so that I can utilize it.
Wondered if that might be the reason.

Originally Posted by chumbawumba
If possible, it is advisable to book two tickets in a pair, like
Day two: BHX - ZRH on Ticket 2, ZRH - BHX on Ticket 1
This way, you can return on day two if you did not get the flight back on the first day.
Hmmm.... you probably meant

Day two: ZRH - BHX on Ticket 2, BHX - ZRH on Ticket 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.