Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked seats in Swiss First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH 1*SEN
Blocked seats in Swiss First

I'm flying Swiss First in a few months. On expertflyer.com, the seat map shows 7 empty seats in first class cabin (only 1A is taken).
Nevertheless, the other window seats seem to be blocked somehow (a blue cross in expertflyer). I called Swiss International Air Lines and the operator told me that these seats are blocked "for infants and for security personnel"
Was the swiss lady on the phone lying to me and are these seats reserved for HON Circle members oder other VIPs? Whats the problem there?

An answer from the official Swiss lurker would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by flylocal
I'm flying Swiss First in a few months. On expertflyer.com, the seat map shows 7 empty seats in first class cabin (only 1A is taken).
Nevertheless, the other window seats seem to be blocked somehow (a blue cross in expertflyer). I called Swiss International Air Lines and the operator told me that these seats are blocked "for infants and for security personnel"
Was the swiss lady on the phone lying to me and are these seats reserved for HON Circle members oder other VIPs? Whats the problem there?

An answer from the official Swiss lurker would be much appreciated.
The lady told you the official version. Less officially this is the way LX protects seats for their elites and for those guests paying high $$$ fares, but only shortly ahead of travel.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
The lady told you the official version. Less officially this is the way LX protects seats for their elites and for those guests paying high $$$ fares, but only shortly ahead of travel.
I asked her specifically if these seats are blocked for elites. She denied it. Why do they lie to their customers, especially if it is so obvious...?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:49 pm

I asked her specifically if these seats are blocked for elites. She denied it. Why do they lie to their customers, especially if it is so obvious...?
No. They are blocked for the given reasons, so she didn't lie. It is just that a HON (certainly a SEN as well) can call the HON/SEN team and those guys (!) are able to unblock the seats.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
No. They are blocked for the given reasons, so she didn't lie. It is just that a HON (certainly a SEN as well) can call the HON/SEN team and those guys (!) are able to unblock the seats.
Hairsplitting...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:58 pm

Lol another I am not happy with tread...

A bit of research from your side would have yielded many answers...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...a-2k-lx-f.html

You might be able to get a single seat .....
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:31 am

Hairsplitting...
If you feel better in believing that an agent was lying, then go with it.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laoshu
Lol another I am not happy with tread...

A bit of research from your side would have yielded many answers...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...a-2k-lx-f.html

You might be able to get a single seat .....
Thank you for the link. I see that I'm not the only one who doesn't like being lied to...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
I called Swiss International Air Lines and the operator told me that these seats are blocked "for infants and for security personnel"
It might be that marshalls are foreseen on this specific flight. It would explain why seats are blocked for "Security personnel".
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesfixed
It might be that marshalls are foreseen on this specific flight. It would explain why seats are blocked for "Security personnel".
Of course... and the air marshall flies in international first class? And they tell me his seat?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Of course... and the air marshall flies in international first class? And they tell me his seat?
Air Marshalls, called "Tigers" with Swiss police, travel at random in all cabin classes - although they tend to travel close to the cockpit door.

Which flight they will be on is not determined as far out as you can book seats, so it is indeed possible that seats may be kept empty until it is clear if marshalls will require to be on that specific flight, in this specific cabin.

But since you seem convinced that you have been lied to by Swiss, it seems futile to belabor the point.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:33 am
Original Poster

It is official now. I called LX again and insisted to talk to the supervisor (who is only on duty after 8AM local time in Zurich on Mondays (!?)). He apologized for the "wrong information" and booked seat 2A for me. There is no "air marshal" or something like this in these seats, they are just blocked for elites and revenue customers, like SleepOverGreenland said. However seats 1A and 1K seem to be real "facility seats" which can be given to people with infants even if they are pre-reserved by others. Thats why I choose 2A instead of 1K.
So here is my advice for everyone with the same problem: insist!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is official now. I called LX again and insisted to talk to the supervisor (who is only on duty after 8AM local time in Zurich on Mondays (!?)). He apologized for the "wrong information" and booked seat 2A for me. There is no "air marshal" or something like this in these seats, they are just blocked for elites and revenue customers, like SleepOverGreenland said. However seats 1A and 1K seem to be real "facility seats" which can be given to people with infants even if they are pre-reserved by others. Thats why I choose 2A instead of 1K.
So here is my advice for everyone with the same problem: insist!
2A and 2K tend to be used as facility seats so if you get bumped out you will know why. Seriously all the seats in F are the same- you will get one you want- there are only 2 rows anyway so the splitting of hairs as this thread talks about is if you are in row 1 or row 2.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
Of course... and the air marshall flies in international first class?
of course air marshalls fly in first class. For your information the cockpit door is in front of the aircraft
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
2A and 2K tend to be used as facility seats so if you get bumped out you will know why. Seriously all the seats in F are the same- you will get one you want- there are only 2 rows anyway so the splitting of hairs as this thread talks about is if you are in row 1 or row 2.
I don't care about the seat row, but I would like to have a window seat @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.