Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing duty-free in US when traveling via ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Purchasing duty-free in US when traveling via ZRH

I looked on the Swiss website and it looks like this is possible so long as any liquids are properly packaged. Is my understanding correct? We are also considering waiting until ZRH to purchase but only have an hour and a half between flights. Our final destination is in Italy. Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: LH HON
When arriving from the US in ZRH there is no additional security before your connecting flight.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Great! Thanks so much! I thought that was the case, but wasn't positive.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by shipsmail
When arriving from the US in ZRH there is no additional security before your connecting flight.
The last time I went from the E gates to the D gates in December, it involved another trip through security, so this isn't always the case.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

So, then back to my original question: If I happen to have to go through security in ZRH, will I be able to travel with my properly packaged and sealed packages containing duty free liquids? Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:30 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Google is your friend.

Liquids in hand baggage

Also permitted in containers over 100 ml in certain circumstances:

Liquid tax & duty free items of over 100 ml together with the purchase receipt in a sealed, ICAO-compliant bag.
https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...ecurity-checks
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Yes, and that is why I stated in my original question, "I looked on the Swiss website and it looks like this is possible so long as any liquids are properly packaged."

I just wanted to confirm that my understanding was correct. Just being overly cautious, I suppose, but I'd rather be certain than end up having to toss it before continuing in our travels. Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by eerickso
Yes, and that is why I stated in my original question, "I looked on the Swiss website and it looks like this is possible so long as any liquids are properly packaged."

I just wanted to confirm that my understanding was correct. Just being overly cautious, I suppose, but I'd rather be certain than end up having to toss it before continuing in our travels. Thanks.
Airlines do not operate security at airports. You should check the relevant airport's website.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Airlines do not operate security at airports. You should check the relevant airport's website.
Good point. In this case, the verbiage you quoted was the same as I found on the Swiss site. Thanks again.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
In ZRH's case, security is performed by the Zürich Cantonal Police. But their website points you at the link you provided above on ZRH's website.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: LH Sen, OW Sapphire, Skyteam Gold
I just returned from LAX and the lady in duty free advised, that liquids and cosmetics if connecting through LHR, FRA and ZRH would be taken away at security check and for these three airports they do not recommend to purchase items at the duty free shop or on board.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by eerickso
So, then back to my original question: If I happen to have to go through security in ZRH, will I be able to travel with my properly packaged and sealed packages containing duty free liquids? Thanks.
In the past they confiscated to me a sealed bottle of perfume purchased at the airport in the US. Most recently (but I was traveling from Singapore) upon arrival in ZRH they checked hand baggage and they wanted all the fluids to be in ONE plastic ziplock bag of a certain size that they had. Everything in excess was taken, even the little La Prairie samples in the First Class amenity kit that I received during the flight. They told me to pick and choose what I wanted to keep and what to be left with them as I exceeded the size of the plastic bag. Excessive, particularly considering that I was entering the Country, not flying out.
But this is not a Swiss airline issue, it is an airport control issue. I don't understand their logic.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by txlflyer
I just returned from LAX and the lady in duty free advised, that liquids and cosmetics if connecting through LHR, FRA and ZRH would be taken away at security check and for these three airports they do not recommend to purchase items at the duty free shop or on board.
I cannot comment on LHR as their website is not at all clear on this but ZRH (as already discussed) and FRA (check this page) allow duty-free items purchased in shops after security or on board an aircraft to be carried through the security check if they are enclosed in a transparent special bag (known as a STEB) that has been sealed by the sales clerk. The bag must contain a receipt that indicates the date and place of purchase and can be read from the outside.

If you arrive in FRA from the US (and ZRH in most cases) you don't have to re-clear security in any case.

Originally Posted by afmiami
In the past they confiscated to me a sealed bottle of perfume purchased at the airport in the US. Most recently (but I was traveling from Singapore) upon arrival in ZRH they checked hand baggage and they wanted all the fluids to be in ONE plastic ziplock bag of a certain size that they had. Everything in excess was taken, even the little La Prairie samples in the First Class amenity kit that I received during the flight. They told me to pick and choose what I wanted to keep and what to be left with them as I exceeded the size of the plastic bag. Excessive, particularly considering that I was entering the Country, not flying out.
But this is not a Swiss airline issue, it is an airport control issue. I don't understand their logic.
We are talking about duty-free goods carried in a special sealed, tamper-evident bag (like the one below) and not in individual ziplock bags.

Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by afmiami
Excessive, particularly considering that I was entering the Country, not flying out.
Huh? You went through security in ZRH at arrival, i.e. on your way to go landside and not to catch a connecting flight?

Then something must have gone seriously wrong.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Just circling back to provide an update re: our recent experience: When traveling MIA-ZRH-FLR and returning, we had to go through passport control in ZRH when moving between the A and E gates, but not security. We put our duty free purchases in ZRH into our carry-on and it was never checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.