Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage addition midflight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Luggage addition midflight

I snatched an UA award ticket on LX from the U.S. back home to NRT with a stop at ZRH. There will be an overnight connection at ZRH. I want my niece to fly in from FRA to bring me a luggage full of German delicatessen. So we will meet at ZRH outside of passport control. How easy or difficult, possible or impossible is it to add an extra piece of luggage midflight? We are in C, so I have two pieces checked in already and am entitled ( don't mean "entitled" in that sense, meaning more "privileged" ) to an extra piece being *G. Help!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Should be no problem. Since your connection is over night my guess is that you will need to retrieve your luggage anyhow and recheck everything the next day for the flight to NRT, so there will be no issue checking your maximum allowed luggae then.

Even if the connection would be the same day and your bags checked through, as long as you have not exhausted your allowance checking additional pieces en-route should not be an issue as well...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Have done this several times at ZRH without problems, both while reclaiming the "other" bag or leaving it in transit.

As long as you are within your baggage allowance, you will not have any problems.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if you are above your allowance, you will still be permitted to check an additional bag. You will simply pay the fee for the additional bag.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Got it. Good to know. Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. ^
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Have done it myself without problem. Cleared immigration in Zurich, without claiming my bags, had a shopping spree in Migros which I packed into a duffle and checked it in as an additional piece of luggage in Zurich. I had a record of my other bags which had been checked through from South Africa and obviously my boarding card for the continuing flight. This was for a two hour stopover and not an overnight one so no need to worry even if you don't pick up your bags in transit.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwugson
Have done it myself without problem. Cleared immigration in Zurich, without claiming my bags, had a shopping spree in Migros which I packed into a duffle and checked it in as an additional piece of luggage in Zurich. I had a record of my other bags which had been checked through from South Africa and obviously my boarding card for the continuing flight. This was for a two hour stopover and not an overnight one so no need to worry even if you don't pick up your bags in transit.
Good to know, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.