Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS AIR FAIL - I want my iPad back!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
SWISS AIR FAIL - I want my iPad back!

21APR2016 Flew ZRH-SFO Business Class - left my 22" iPad pro in the seat pocket. Call Swissair they say go to website and fill out a form, I go, no form available, call back they say call the SFO lost and found open 10-2330 7 days a week 866.540.3669, I am told I have to contact Swissair as the item was left on the aircraft and the companies responsibility. I called Swissair back and was told to contact the SFO Lost & Found, 650.222.8755 or I could call operations 650.821.1084. When I explained I had talked with SFO Lost and Found, Swissair representative said that is the procedure. I explained in a blunt manner I was not interested in a procedure that did not work and asked to speak to a supervisor. The Swissair representative said that no supervisors were available and that "Swissair was not at fault, the situation was created due to my "callus" behavior in leaving the item on the aircraft." I assure the Swissair representative the issue was not about assigning blame, rather I was seeking a pragmatic approach to fixing a bad situation and I asked to speak to a supervisor. When she said no supervisors were available, I told her that was impossible as all shifts have a supervision...after a few more untruths were passed I talked with Rachel, the supervisor, and asked her to call SFO Lost & Found on my behalf in a conference call. I learned items left on board are turned over to Ground Services Department within 24 hours, A report is generated every 48 hours notifying Lost & Found SFO of items that have been recovered. After an item is reported to Lost & Found they have 24 hours to get back to you on determining if they have recovered the item and how to get back to you. First communication is via phone, second is an e-mail, no text is allowed.

So I am waiting 24 hours!!! All told, I was lied to by the 3 Swissair representatives at least 2 dozen times. All this is should be avoidable, read about how Virgin America employees send a text to you based on your seat number within a few hours of landing and you see a different model for customer EXCELLENCE!!!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT.

Great first post.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Did SWISS or you YOU forget the Computer on the plane?

And I am very surprised that you still reached somebody from Swissair, as they ceased service on 31MAR02: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair

Calm down, it was your fault! They just want to help you according their rules!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
There's no such thing as a 22" ipad Pro.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:30 pm

My wife left hers (on Air Asia of all carriers) and they found it in Bangkok, flew it to Tokyo (where we were staying) and couriered it to the hotel (which we paid for). It took time (a week in total)

So my suggestion is to be a bit more patient and also look at your insurance options as getting it back is not usual.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So you are trying to blame Swiss for your negligence? Please give us a break. I'm surprised they spent as much time on the phone with you as they did (no one lied to you, they just told you what you wanted to hear since they knew that the chance of you being reunited with your goods was limited). This is completely your fault/problem, and I doubt you will see your 22" iPad (that's a really big device) again. It has probably been taken by a cleaner and not handed in. Your best bet is to contact your travel insurance provider, but you'll have to invent a story, since I don't believe 'forgetfulness' is covered.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by madkins
All this is should be avoidable,
Sure is... don't leave your stuff on planes... Been there, done that.

read about how Virgin America employees send a text to you based on your seat number within a few hours of landing and you see a different model for customer EXCELLENCE!!!
So, how many times have you left your 22" ipad on a VX flight?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:00 pm

Actually, I have left a laptop on a plane once... so long ago I can't even remember who we were flying... (oh brain).

Usually, with lost and found, you can find out who the local manager is for that airport/airline section.

I would propose placing a very polite call and asking, nicely, if they can help you.

Also, it's not the staff member you are spewing your bile at's fault.
Be nice, and they might just turn it up for you.

If I remember correctly, once we spoke to the manager of lost and found at that airline, it came back on the next flight the following day.

Protip: don't be a jerk when you need help!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...assuming someone turned it in of course.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Did SWISS or you YOU forget the Computer on the plane?

And I am very surprised that you still reached somebody from Swissair, as they ceased service on 31MAR02: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair

Calm down, it was your fault! They just want to help you according their rules!
Excuse me Swiss International Airlines. I understand it was my fault, they have the iPad they know it is mine and they are not putting into FedEx. Everyday I call and get the same bull response. No one is answering at SFO ground we do not have any information for you. Poor customer experience

The Ipad was turned in they have it but they are not sending it. FF on Delta, Alaskan, Virgin, have all had the items returned in short order it has been 7 days...

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...assuming someone turned it in of course.
IT has been turned in...

Originally Posted by erik123
My wife left hers (on Air Asia of all carriers) and they found it in Bangkok, flew it to Tokyo (where we were staying) and couriered it to the hotel (which we paid for). It took time (a week in total)

So my suggestion is to be a bit more patient and also look at your insurance options as getting it back is not usual.
They have the iPad at SFO ground, I am in the US, I have given them a FedEx number how difficult is it to return it?

Last edited by beckoa; Apr 28, 2016 at 6:14 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... the iPad was turned in they have it but they are not sending it. FF on Delta, Alaskan, Virgin, have all had the items returned in short order it has been 7 days...
They? The airline or some random person??
How do you know who they are?
Has the they confirmed they have it and are willing to return it you?

If you have left stuff on Delta, Alaska & Virgin before, it would seem prudent to take extra care with your belongings.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I realize I am an idiot for leaving the iPad on the plane. None the less the airline has provided a means to recover the lost item when it had been turned in but they do not execute well. According to SWISS, SFO Ground submits are report within 48 hours of landing, then they make a request against that report and within 24 hours you will be notified if the laptop was recovered. In this case the item was found, but they have not put it in the FedEx system and our travel is on hold until we get it. Waiting at the location where we posted the FedEx delivery is very difficult. SFO Ground has a number but no one has answered the phone for me since I started calling days ago. If they answered the phone and said we put items in FedEx every Friday or every other day I would understand. But there is no information and you have to go through SWISS baggage claim to get any information. Very frustrating...

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
They? The airline or some random person??
How do you know who they are?
Has the they confirmed they have it and are willing to return it you?

If you have left stuff on Delta, Alaska & Virgin before, it would seem prudent to take extra care with your belongings.
I did not leave material on Delta, Alaska or Virgin but I have had other FF that I know do it an they have gotten their materials back quickly.

Yes SFO Ground confirmed to SWISS baggage that they have the laptop and asked me to fill out a form with a FedEx number and ID to return it to me. What they are not saying is when it will be put in FedEx as I have selected the overnight option.

Last edited by beckoa; Apr 28, 2016 at 6:17 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am not upity, the iPad was turned in they have it but they are not sending it. FF on Delta, Alaskan, Virgin, have all had the items returned in short order it has been 7 days...
It's Alaska, not Alaskan. (and "uppity" not "upity") And those are all carriers with a couple dozen flights daily flying into SFO, and domestic flights, so really no basis to compare.
While it's been 7 days now, you posted a screed days ago. Perhaps your attitude showed through and the airline felt no need to rush a forgotten item to a discourteous passenger?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:09 am

It sounds like SFO ground are passing the buck and Swiss have been more than helpful in trying to help you get through. As a policy, you'll find most airlines deliver objects lost on a plane to ground services either at the destination or origin.

A supervisor being unavailable was a lie? Did you think that they could have been otherwise engaged?

Not sure why this post irked me so much - despite being my home airline I rarely fly LH or LX - but this just stinks of an the-US-can-do-no-wrong poster blaming who he wants to for "poor customer service", despite the fact pattern suggesting the opposite.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I think one of the other issues here, which isn't a US v. foreign issue, is that Swiss doesnt run its own ground services operation at SFO. Rather, its a third-party contractor -- just like Delta's ground services crew in ZRH would be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.