Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Business Class Upgrade for United 1K

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Swiss Business Class Upgrade for United 1K

I'm not sure if this thread belongs here or at the United forum, but I had to make a pick...

Last week I flew IAD-FCO-ZRH-TLV (IAD-FCO on United and the rest on Swiss). I've used a United GPU to upgrade my IAD-FCO leg, flew Y on FCO-ZRH, and much to my surprise I was moved up to C on the ZRH-TLV leg.

I'm trying to understand the logic beyond my upgrade, and perhaps be able to reproduce it in future . To the best of my knowledge, using a GPU on a United leg doesn't get you upgraded on the next leg if it's not on a United metal.

I actually asked the ZRH transfer desk why I was upgraded and they told me it was because Y was overbooked, but if that was the case, why didn't they upgrade one of their own? I'm quite sure they had at least one M&M Frequent Flyer or above seating in coach. I know United would upgrade a MillagePlus Silver domestically over any M&M Senator. Any ideas?

If it makes a difference, it was a United issued ticket with LX flight numbers for the LX legs (no codeshare).

Thanks,
Lior
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
The GPU has nothing to do with it. You got lucky.

LX uses a priority list for operational upgrades, when required:
M&M HON > M&M SEN > Star Gold (like your UA 1k) > M&M FTL > Star Silver

And if they only need to upgrade 1 pax and you are travelling alone whereas, say, a SEN is in a party of 2, you go first.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
The GPU has nothing to do with it. You got lucky.

LX uses a priority list for operational upgrades, when required:
M&M HON > M&M SEN > Star Gold (like your UA 1k) > M&M FTL > Star Silver

And if they only need to upgrade 1 pax and you are travelling alone whereas, say, a SEN is in a party of 2, you go first.
Thanks! Does that also mean that if there is still space in coach, no one gets a complementary upgrade, even if when Business class is not full?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by lishorsh
Thanks! Does that also mean that if there is still space in coach, no one gets a complementary upgrade, even if when Business class is not full?
Yes, normally they don't upgrade if they don't have to although I have been upgraded a couple of times even though there were few Y seats open after doors closed.

One time they did it to accommodate a family with small children and needed my seat. I gave it up with a smile and told the GA I take whatever seat is there but if possible not a middle seat. Was moved to 2A.

Some other times I guess there were a couple of no-shows (perhaps inbound plane got delayed even further than predicted) but they already sorted out
the upgrades

Also upgrading purely on status is a LX thing, OS and LH upgrade based on the booking class...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:19 am

Does that also mean that if there is still space in coach, no one gets a complementary upgrade, even if when Business class is not full?
Yes. Welcome to Europe. Unlike US carriers, all European carriers fill their planes "back to front", i.e. there are no complimentary upgrades for anyone unless operational reasons require it. If you want to sit in a premium cabin, there are numerous ways to pay for it with $ or miles, but unlike in the US, there is no free upgrading of FFP status members.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, SPG Platinum
I actually asked the ZRH transfer desk why I was upgraded and they told me it was because Y was overbooked, but if that was the case, why didn't they upgrade one of their own? I'm quite sure they had at least one M&M Frequent Flyer or above seating in coach. I know United would upgrade a MillagePlus Silver domestically over any M&M Senator. Any ideas?
Hey lishorsh,

To shed some light on this LX has a very specific Upgrade-Priority:
> own Gold
> *Gold (UA 1K in your case)
> own Silver
> *Silver

On some routes we just can't find any HONs or SENs, so like in your case you got lucky to get the upgrade as *Gold. There are quite a few routes that aren't frequented very often by a lot of high status members, so the chances get higher if you fly on those routes. Sometimes TLV is one of them, but usually routes to PEK, PVG, NRT, YUL, BOS or JNB are some of those long haul routes with a low density of HONs and SENs, especially regarding upgrades from Y to C!

Source: I work at ZRH at the gates myself and shell out the upgrades

Hope I could help you a bit.
Cheers

Last edited by flySWISSdude; Aug 4, 2015 at 11:00 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by flySWISSdude
Hey lishorsh,

> HONs&VIPs
> SENs&CIPs
> M&M FTL
> *Silver
> Staff on ID travel

Cheers
Do you know how a person travelling on ID (staff/friend) with SEN status is treated? I guess ID gets more weight?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:36 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Welcome to FT

Cheers
Welcome to FT flySWISSdude, especially as you appear to be an insider who will help us to understand many things around ZRH airport better .
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by alinghi90
Do you know how a person travelling on ID (staff/friend) with SEN status is treated? I guess ID gets more weight?
ID tickets do not hold FQTV information, such as your SEN status.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
And all *G benefints are not valid when flying on ID/DM tickets. Also no lounge acces.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: M&M FTL, SPG Platinum
As above stated you are not allowed to put your FFP into your booking when travelling on ID tickets. No status benefits granted at all.

But in case of an upgrade we check a lot more than just Status to find out if you're qualified for an upgrade.

Last edited by flySWISSdude; Aug 4, 2015 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:36 am

Hey lishorsh,

> HONs&VIPs
> SENs&CIPs
> M&M FTL
> *Silver
> Staff on ID travel

On some routes we just can't find any HONs or SENs, so like in your case you got lucky to get the upgrade as *Gold. There are quite a few routes that aren't frequented very often by a lot of high status members, so the chances get higher if you fly on those routes. Sometimes TLV is one of them, but usually routes to PEK, PVG, NRT, YUL, BOS or JNB are some of those long haul routes with a low density of HONs and SENs, especially regarding upgrades from Y to C!

Cheers
Thanks for this, very helpful. I can attest to a Y to C upgrade on a recent ZRH to JNB flight. The beep from the boarding pass scanner at the gate put a smile on my face quicker than the GA could tell me I was upgraded. A nice gesture by LX for a *G
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: LX SEN
As above stated you are not allowed to put your FFP into your booking when travelling on ID tickets. No status benefits granted at all.
Of course you might be lucky to get access to the lounge, but it's against the rules and up to the lounge staff's discretion.
But in case of an upgrade we check: Status, booking class (no upgrades for mileage tickets, ID tickets, those who paid more for the ticket get preferred for upgrades, sometimes we even just upgrade 724 tickets ahead of 220 or OAL). We also check for special meal orders and won't upgrade anyone with a special meal order, at least not from C -> F.
And if you're flying in a party with someone without status or lower status, chances are high we skip you.
Thank you flySWISSdude - and welcome to FT!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Hey lishorsh,

> own Gold
> own Silver
> *Silver

Cheers
Thanks flySWISSdude!
It will definitely be a consideration for planning my next BOS trip. Honestly I'm very pleased when flying Swiss, partly because it's the only airline (I know of) using wide body aircraft from TLV to Europe. The main downside I see when flying Swiss is that it charges for advanced seat assignments even for rather expensive economy fare classes, even unlike it's sister Lufthansa.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I got upgraded on LYS-ZRH, was a nice little surprise.

Would I book future travel based on a single op-up?
Never.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.