Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZRH Swiss Baggage Police

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
ZRH Swiss Baggage Police

Today when I entered the airport I was stopped before security by a junior Swiss employee who tried to tell me that I'm only allowed one piece of handluggage. After some discussions he agreed that business class and HON circle status do mean something. I found the whole approach a little strange, maybe designed for tourists but he could have been friendlier and better informed. Anyone else experienced this before?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:47 pm
zxd

Programs: A3
So I guess this is the Eco Light police in full-force :/
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:12 pm

Given LX totally clueless "support" on Facebook which give out customers completely wrong information* regarding hand luggage allowance (and don't even have balls to apologise when "catched") this doesn't surprise me at all.

Cost cutting has reached a new all-low, and it can be felt everywhere.

Having some clueless, useless, in fact contra-productive interns to run around and scold pax for having "too much" luggage seems to be yet another move of pushing their former loyal customers into the hands of alternative carriers who still treat their customers as what they are - the people that bring them money - rather than as annoyance/cost factors as what LX likes to see them.

Swiss, Switzerland's biggest LCC.

* I'll provide a link happily if anyone is doubting it

Sent alinghi90 by PM

Last edited by YuropFlyer; Jun 30, 2015 at 2:39 pm Reason: I can send the link by PM - as it contains real life names of users
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

* I'll provide a link happily if anyone is doubting it
Not that I doubt it, but would be interested out of curiosity
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by alfahund
Today when I entered the airport I was stopped before security by a junior Swiss employee who tried to tell me that I'm only allowed one piece of handluggage. After some discussions he agreed that business class and HON circle status do mean something. I found the whole approach a little strange, maybe designed for tourists but he could have been friendlier and better informed. Anyone else experienced this before?
Yes, noted the guy too when flying out on Monday. He looked very young and insecure and I felt quite a bit of pity for him and his mission. Wondering what he messed-up to get put into this role.....
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 am
zxd

Programs: A3
I bet if you take out a tape measure and ask them to measure they won't probably know what the rule even is (55 x 40 x 23)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA
They seemed to have started doing this a short while ago but only on the Swiss side of security. Just go back to the other security check point and nobody will look at it. Did this just recently after I got stopped and sent back to check a carry on (was flying economy).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by German Expat
They seemed to have started doing this a short while ago but only on the Swiss side of security. Just go back to the other security check point and nobody will look at it. Did this just recently after I got stopped and sent back to check a carry on (was flying economy).
If your carry-on was above the size-limit, expect to have super-strict gate-checks in the future too.

That bouncer/trainee they've there will probably be moved (with some collegues) to the gates. I just hope for Swiss that they've replaced their joke-test-bins with real-size ones.. could become ugly otherwise..

After all, that's how Swiss wants to operate in the future. As a LCC where you'll get a lukewarm coke (but no tomato juice) and on "longer" flights a dry sandwich..
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
They should be consistent in handing out those tags "approved for cabin" on every route at checkin... I always feel embaressed if at one sector my rimowa is allowed but not on the connecting flight while on the return it's the opposite
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by alfahund
Today when I entered the airport I was stopped before security..
What got him there?

Is this the LX dedicated security of the general one? I would be tempted to ignore someone without a Kantonspolizei uniform. Without the minimum standard you could loiter around and randomly check people for violation of your made up policies.

At the gates, I get it ... but security?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by weero
What got him there?

Is this the LX dedicated security of the general one? I would be tempted to ignore someone without a Kantonspolizei uniform. Without the minimum standard you could loiter around and randomly check people for violation of your made up policies.

At the gates, I get it ... but security?
There is no "LX dedicated" security. If you mean the security downstairs (next to Terminal 1 checkin) - that is open for everyone. The silly thing is that since the new security was built, the LX "side" is actually less comfortable to get into their own lounges

And yes, he wears just some LX (ground staff) clothes, that's it. I agree, simply ignore him would be the best approach (as long as your hand luggage is not over the allowance, of course )
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:57 pm

A different option is to just tell them you fly a different airline. A previous time I got stopped I just happened to park in P1 but was flying Air Berlin and told him so.
When they ask you either tell them none of their business or you fly a different airline.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:36 am

"Do I look so stupid to pick your enhanced airline? Of course I fly Turkish/Emirates/Qatar/Etihad"
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
"Do I look so stupid to pick your enhanced airline? Of course I fly Turkish/Emirates/Qatar/Etihad"
Works on long haul flights but not so much if you fly to Paris, Berlin, London, etc.
But there I might as well look at low cost options (e.g. Berlin I used Air Berlin)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by German Expat
Works on long haul flights but not so much if you fly to Paris, Berlin, London, etc.
But there I might as well look at low cost options (e.g. Berlin I used Air Berlin)
Of course for European destinations, the options are limited (especially since LX lobbyied against Etihad Region to keep their prices high.. "thank you" Swiss ) - but as you, whenever there is another option outside LH Group, I'll gladly pick it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.