Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear SWISS Lurker Can I earn miles on the LY codeshare flights?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Can I earn miles on the LY codeshare flights?

I noticed that the office booked me onto LY-347, TLV-ZRH which SWISS code shares on, I'm connecting on to LX-086, ZRH-YUL.

The ticket was issued by SWISS, in S fare bucket. I know I'll earn 100% award miles for LX-086 but what about the EL AL codeshare, is it a mileage earning flight?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think you are out of luck on this one...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:08 am
Company Representative - Swiss Airlines

Programs: Miles & More (LX)
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
I noticed that the office booked me onto LY-347, TLV-ZRH which SWISS code shares on, I'm connecting on to LX-086, ZRH-YUL.

The ticket was issued by SWISS, in S fare bucket. I know I'll earn 100% award miles for LX-086 but what about the EL AL codeshare, is it a mileage earning flight?
Dear rafi2k6

Thanks for choosing SWISS!

It take it you are a member of the Miles&More program.

On this flight - as long as you are booked with the SWISS flight number - you will earn award miles as usual. You will not be earning status miles, HON Circle miles or any executive bonus miles.

If your travel agency booked you with the El Al flight number LY347, I'm afraid you will not earn any miles, as El Al is not a partner airline of Miles&More.

I hope I could help you with this information.

Kind regards,
Gianrico
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SwissInternationalAirLines
Originally Posted by rafi2k6

Dear rafi2k6

Thanks for choosing SWISS!

It take it you are a member of the Miles&More program.

On this flight - as long as you are booked with the SWISS flight number - you will earn award miles as usual. You will not be earning status miles, HON Circle miles or any executive bonus miles.

If your travel agency booked you with the El Al flight number LY347, I'm afraid you will not earn any miles, as El Al is not a partner airline of Miles&More.

I hope I could help you with this information.

Kind regards,
Gianrico
Thanks Gianrico, It was booked as LX4221 so it looks like I'll be earning the award miles. Good to know I can at least get award miles, 1hr50min cnx time at ZRH is plenty. For me it's better than leaving at 5:00am on 257.

Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Sorry to revive an old thread, but what about the opposite. Swiss Lurker, if I book a a flight through LY (with an LY code) but that is operated by LX, will I earn M&M miles for that flight? (And If I'm Senator, will my Senator status be recognized on the flight?)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:03 am

I'd like to know what happened to the original OP. As far as I understand, it is the metal flown that determines the mileage obtained. Hence, flying LY on an LX codeshare should earn exactly zero, since LY is not part of M&M (or *A).

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I'd like to know what happened to the original OP. As far as I understand, it is the metal flown that determines the mileage obtained. Hence, flying LY on an LX codeshare should earn exactly zero, since LY is not part of M&M (or *A).

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course.
You definitely earn award miles when flying an LX-coded (and booked) flight, operated by LY. You simply won't earn status miles. That's the general rule of codeshares - you don't need to be members of the same alliance or FFP, just partners with each other.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You definitely earn award miles when flying an LX-coded (and booked) flight, operated by LY. You simply won't earn status miles. That's the general rule of codeshares - you don't need to be members of the same alliance or FFP, just partners with each other.
No its not general, but in this case LY-LX clearly made some agreement for this route.
For example VIE-CDG operated by AF as OS codeshare counts as a normal OS flight for M&M (there is a thread somewhere).
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanor
No its not general, but in this case LY-LX clearly made some agreement for this route.
For example VIE-CDG operated by AF as OS codeshare counts as a normal OS flight for M&M (there is a thread somewhere).
No - I mean a general rule that you earn award miles (at least) on codeshare flights when booked through the codeshare, even if operated on a non-alliance metal flight. ("General" rule means there are obviously exceptions. But when flying LY booked through AA with AA flight #, you earn AA miles. Flying QF booked through LY with LY flight #, you earn Matmid points. Flying EI booked through UA with UA flight #, you earn UA miles - and in that case, I believe status miles as well.)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by kanor
What about the LX coded and AF operated flights between GVA and CDG? I always thought that might be a dodgy one for getting miles. Apparently the Ukrainian International flights with an LX code actually earn miles.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:20 am
Company Representative - Swiss Airlines

Programs: Miles & More (LX)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Sorry to revive an old thread, but what about the opposite. Swiss Lurker, if I book a a flight through LY (with an LY code) but that is operated by LX, will I earn M&M miles for that flight? (And If I'm Senator, will my Senator status be recognized on the flight?)
Dear joshwex90

You will only receive miles if your ticket is issued with the LX flight number (both on the LX and LY operated flights). If your ticket is issued with the LY flight number, you will not receive miles, even if your flight is operated by LX.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, and have a safe trip,
Gianrico
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by SwissInternationalAirLines
Dear joshwex90

You will only receive miles if your ticket is issued with the LX flight number (both on the LX and LY operated flights). If your ticket is issued with the LY flight number, you will not receive miles, even if your flight is operated by LX.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, and have a safe trip,
Gianrico
So that about logic:
The metal only counts if it is good for the Airline! (So no status-miles if operated by LY).

If it would be an advantage for the customer: The metal does not count!

Thank you for clarification.

Since they introduced the silly - metal counts - rule I avoid codehsares like the plague!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:24 am

Here's a fun brain-bender: what about a Swiss flight number (LX4220), operated by El Al, ticketed by Austrian (eTicket starts with 257), and crediting to Aegean. No, I didn't just make that up - I actually have a ticket like that.

What are the odds of actually earning Aegean miles for that flight?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by The Shadow
Here's a fun brain-bender: what about a Swiss flight number (LX4220), operated by El Al, ticketed by Austrian (eTicket starts with 257), and crediting to Aegean. No, I didn't just make that up - I actually have a ticket like that.

What are the odds of actually earning Aegean miles for that flight?
None? (needs to be operated by *A carrier)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by duvin
None? (needs to be operated by *A carrier)
By that logic, why would an LX flight operated by LY earn M&M miles? LY is not a *A carrier. And yet it's been clearly stated that it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.