Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ground services special assistance requests for seniors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Location: Near the pole, at the beach, top of mountains, underwater, golfing
Programs: AC E, FPC plat, TK E, VA G, HIlton diam, spg plat, CX gold, US air Plat, Hyatt Dia, A club Plat
ground services special assistance requests for seniors

I called swiss to ask if they offer special assistance to my parents. I got the phone number of swiss special assistance from swiss reservation.

Parents are seniors and tend to get lost easily. I asked swiss agent if i can make a request: if they offer a special ground service guide to wait at the gate for their arrival at zurich, and guide them to the first class lounge or their next destination. They will be traveling in first class to zurich and right now it looks like they are the only ones on the new first cabin.

me: my parents will be traveling first class to zurich and they are seniors and tend to get lost in the airport easily, do you offer special assistance like a guide , for some agent to wait for them at the gate and guide them to their next destination?
agent: no, you have to make these request at check in only...
me: oh..
agent: we can only make these request at check in as swiss do not know if the passengers will be actually be flying that day or not and they don't want to have agents waiting.. we also do not want to tied up wheelchairs.
me: uh?? ok. hang up.

either i got a clueless agent which obviously did not listen (i have never said they are on wheelchairs), or i find it weird that swiss cannot at least make a note on their file prior to departure. I specifically tried to call early on their behalf as they might not remember to ask at check in.

Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:29 am

Just book a wheelchair. Tell them that your parents can walk shorter distances (no problem getting to/from the seats) but have problems with longer distances.
The tricky part will be to convince your parents that they actually need a wheelchair.
You will get exactly the kind of help your parents need. Worked great for my mother, and it is free of charge.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LX doesn't seem to allow WCHR special service requests to be made at the time of booking, they don't provide guide services (like LH does in FRA & MUC against 50€) either. ZRH airport has VIP services that are pretty pricey: http://www.zurich-airport.com/deskto...spx/tabid-147/

However, I would suggest contacting them (VIP services in ZRH) and asking how you could arrange something for them. I've used the LH guide service in FRA for my in laws and its great to have such a paid service. Faking the wheel chair thing is not nice, it irritates me everytime when I board/deplane and see otherwise fit seniors (mis)using the accessible travel services.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E, FPC plat, TK E, VA G, HIlton diam, spg plat, CX gold, US air Plat, Hyatt Dia, A club Plat
Thanks for the link.

But i found something on that site:

Services at Zurich Airport for passengers with reduced mobility (PRM)
Zurich Airport offers support for passengers whose mobility is reduced due to disability or age. Service is provided by careport AG and is free of charge to all passengers with reduced mobility.
If you have a need for support that corresponds to one of the following categories of disability or impairment, please notify your travel agent or the airline operating your flight. When your requirements have been correctly communicated, careport will look after you and provide you with support while you are at Zurich Airport.
WCHR: Wheelchair Ramp. You are able to walk short distances and climb stairs. For longer distances you need a wheelchair and the appropriate assistance.
WCHS: Wheelchair Steps. You are able to walk short distances, but cannot climb steps. For longer distances you need a wheelchair and the appropriate assistance.
WCHC: Wheelchair Carry. You need a wheelchair at all times, including on board.
BLND: Blind. You are blind or visually impaired and need assistance during your journey..
DEAF: Deaf. You are deaf, hearing-impaired, or deaf-mute and need assistance during your journey.
MAAS (elderly): Meet and Assist Elderly. Your mobility is reduced due to age, and you need assistance during your journey.
DPNA: Disabled Passenger Needs Assistance. You need assistance during your journey due to a mental disability.
Other offers and services
Service is also available at Zurich Airport for other kinds of special needs. These may include children under 16 years of age who are traveling alone (UM: Unaccompanied Minor), passengers who rarely travel and need assistance in the airport or who do not speak the local language (MAAS Meet and Assist), or passengers who are ill (Medical Cases, Stretcher). Passengers who require these services must notify the airline directly.
If you need one of our special services, please request it when you book your flight. You should arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight and proceed directly to the check-in desk for your airline, where the procedure will be explained to you.

It looks like zurich airport does offer these services, (elderly and passengers rarely travel and need assistance in the airport) but swiss agent stated we cannot request in advance? And he implied we have to book wheelchair services if we need assistance?

Maybe just a clueless agent, but still it is noted on that web site! Why do swiss make us request wheelchair services if we do not need wheelchairs and tied up wheelchairs availability for others? Why does that agent said we can only request at check in?? Disappointing, even more considering that they are in swiss first class...

At least i know how it works now and will not judge fit seniors requesting wheelchairs... The swiss zrh ground services system force them to do that.

And yes, some fit seniors may be offended that a wheelchair wait for them, but they have no choice.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:02 pm

It seems as if you spoke to a clueless agent. All they need to do is add the "MAAS" fact into your parents' reservation. The procedure shouldn't be any different to a passenger requesting a special meal. If they fail to do so, then the agents must do so at the latest when your parents are checking-in.

At ZRH, with a MAAS fact in the system, your parents won't be picked up with a wheelchair unless they require it (at which point they'd have a WHC_ fact in the system anyway). The procedure for MAAS-Passengers is simple:
- a Careport agent will pick your parents up at the gate of their arrival flight and accompany them to their onward one.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: Miles&More
Originally Posted by SR116
It seems as if you spoke to a clueless agent. All they need to do is add the "MAAS" fact into your parents' reservation. The procedure shouldn't be any different to a passenger requesting a special meal. If they fail to do so, then the agents must do so at the latest when your parents are checking-in.

At ZRH, with a MAAS fact in the system, your parents won't be picked up with a wheelchair unless they require it (at which point they'd have a WHC_ fact in the system anyway). The procedure for MAAS-Passengers is simple:
- a Careport agent will pick your parents up at the gate of their arrival flight and accompany them to their onward one.
MAAS (meet and assist) is not offered anymore !! If the parents cannot find the way alone at the ZRH airport is a bit embarassing......it is the easiest APT in EU...... plenty of people talking all kind of language around you (staff, passangers)....misusing the WCHR service if they are fit enough to walk is unfair ....(book the VIP service then)....
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by MUC1A
MAAS (meet and assist) is not offered anymore !! If the parents cannot find the way alone at the ZRH airport is a bit embarassing......it is the easiest APT in EU...... plenty of people talking all kind of language around you (staff, passangers)....misusing the WCHR service if they are fit enough to walk is unfair ....(book the VIP service then)....
ok lets not get carried away here .....arrivals are in E and connecting flight in A/B......not easy for older people...VIE MUC way way easier to connect than ZRH
let the airport/airline staff decide what is fair and what is not
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:39 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
MAAS (meet and assist) is not offered anymore !!
But Zurich Airport's website still mentions it...
http://www.zurich-airport.com/deskto...spx/tabid-149/

...it is the easiest APT in EU
Really?
Besides Switzerland is not in the EU, unless you mean Europe by EU, but I still can't agree with you.

...... plenty of people talking all kind of language around you (staff, passangers)
Hmmm... I thought the problem wasn't the language.

Why doesn't the OP post this question in the SWISS lurker thread? They are usually good at providing the "official" answer.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
....If the parents cannot find the way alone at the ZRH airport is a bit embarassing......it is the easiest APT in EU......
You have a warped view of the world. What appears simple to you can be confusing and disorienting to those not acustomed to navigating airports, to overseas travel. An overnight onboard an aircraft can exacerbate any underlying anxiety felt by elderly passengers.

Some people are nervous flyers, nervous travellers. You are not: bravo!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MUC1A:18154292
Humm let's not judge.
Some may looks fit physically but mentally?
Some may look to you that they can walk short distance from the aircraft to the gate but longer distance may be a problem?
Some are disoriented, have medical or mental conditions?
Etc etc...

most people, seniors included, prefer to stay independent as long as possible and prefer not to rely on others unless needed.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Why doesn't the OP post this question in the SWISS lurker thread? They are usually good at providing the "official" answer.
I am a newbie. did not know / read / how. can i post a reference to this thread on the swiss lurker thread?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really helpful to have a meet and greet service. I wouldn't want to book a WCHR for my grandparents as they have no mobility issues but they are certainly capable of getting lost in an airport and finding the whole thing rather stressful. It's good that ZRH offer this service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.