Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Looking to fly with LX from BOS to ZRH in Y. Does LX still offer cash upgrades? If yes, how much are they these days? Can I do it at the check in or at the gate or wait to get on board and ask the purser?

TIA
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
hi volta,

yes LX still offers cash upgrades (at least in september they still did). you can ask for it at checking, and on board. my experience has been that at the gate they usually can't do it since they don't have the credit card machine with them. onboard upgrades will be more expensive than at checking.

regarding the price from BOS maybe someone else can answer...

hope this helps

synd
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
I am currently in HKG and was offered a cash upgrade "special promotion" to F for €1700 (LX139). I politely declined. Probably this due to the fact that the flight is oversold (by 3 pax in biz).
On a side note: 2 HON and 12 SEN in C. They told me that I am SEN #1... can't believe that but hey if this moves me up one row I won't say no .
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE51-1/100.34.20; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
I am currently in HKG and was offered a cash upgrade "special promotion" to F for €1700 (LX139). I politely declined. Probably this due to the fact that the flight is oversold (by 3 pax in biz).
On a side note: 2 HON and 12 SEN in C. They told me that I am SEN #1... can't believe that but hey if this moves me up one row I won't say no .
update: opup to seat 1G . A wonderfull flight. Truly LX F.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
update: opup to seat 1G . A wonderfull flight. Truly LX F.
congrats on the op-up always a great feeling! 1700E for a last minute upgrade that's a little too much for my wallet though, and apparently for everyone else in C.

for half of that amount i would consider it on an A333 and take it without a second thought on an A343.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:07 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Any recent experiences/prices for cash upgrades Y(L actually) -> C on LX JFK-ZRH?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Question Upgrade for cah - ZRH-YUL

Any recent experience on upgrading ZRH to YUL on Swiss?
Probably travelling Monday 18th in economy
Any ideas on cost and probability of it being offerred?

Last edited by steviebas; Jan 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Upgrade for cash - ZRH-YUL

So, to answer my own question

Just flew from ZRH to YUL on LX86

Went to economy ticket desk at ZRH and asked about upgrade potential. I dont have M&M so only option was cash - 800CHF

A little bit steep,

Ended up in 7K with empty seat beside me
Service was impeccable but the old A330-200s will really benefit from an interior makeover.

Will see what return leg looks like.......................
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:57 am

Cash upgrade JFK-ZRH

I was on a LX plane (A330-300) from JFK to ZRH last Friday. Asked at the Swiss ticketing desk for upgrade options from Y to C. They have not asked for my booking class (which was W) and just offered me a special close departure upgrade for USD 1022 (CHF 1100). The business class was pretty full.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by Travelidgio
I was on a LX plane (A330-300) from JFK to ZRH last Friday. Asked at the Swiss ticketing desk for upgrade options from Y to C. They have not asked for my booking class (which was W) and just offered me a special close departure upgrade for USD 1022 (CHF 1100). The business class was pretty full.
Presumably this comes with C-class miles, too?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
They wanted 1500CHF to upgrade me ZRH-LAX two weeks ago. I passed.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: LH/LX, KLM/AF
Hi Everyone!

...was flying JFK - ZRH LX15 on 17Feb and checked flight schedule beforehand since I wasn't sure if it would be the new 333 or the 343. Booked via UAL site into S class (economy) and did OLCI. Got to the airport and went to the checkin to drop my bag and inquired about the cash price for an upgrade into C. The woman said they used to have an LX promotion last year, but at current its >1000 US for the leg to ZRH. Checked in, and then went to the ticketing desk to ask the same question over again. The woman there was quite unfriendly and told me it was going to be about 1100 US, but it would be the brand new business class. kindly refused since i knew the load was low anyway, and not sure about her statement. in the end, it was the 343 (with old C class) as stated in the LX online timetable...

when boarding, i checked with the gate agent in order to get a seat in an empty row of 4 seats in Y. Wasn't a problem and thus had a great sleep across four eco seats. :-)

BTW: flew ZRH - BOS 11Feb since the 10Feb flight to BOS was canceled for weather reasons. Also asked for a paid upgrade in ZRH, but checkin agent said it would be >1500 CHF. refused and sat in a packed eco of a 343...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN, OW Emerald, AF/KL Gold, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by volta
Looking to fly with LX from BOS to ZRH in Y. Does LX still offer cash upgrades? If yes, how much are they these days? Can I do it at the check in or at the gate or wait to get on board and ask the purser?

TIA
The cash upgrade at check in was priced at USD 400 last summer.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any idea at all how they rank SENs for Opups when there are multiple SENs?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:46 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
any experience in YUL ?
prices seem to change quite a lot depending on the airport. Knowing that in many cases the difference between Economy (G, L) and Biz is around 1'000-1'200 it seems there is no more real advantage to checkin upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.