Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signatures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Signatures

from time to time I like to change my signature. This changes it on all messages old and new. I think it would be better if the changes were only effective for new messages. Can that be done?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether its technically possible to do so or not is out of my realm of knowledge - however, currently the system seems to take into account current user profile data for certain things (such as your post counts, your location & affiliations) and I assume that since the signature line is part of your profile, it is something that can't be changed as you want. But that's my guess...
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mshaikun
I think it would be better if the changes were only effective for new messages.
How would you address FTers that have links in their signature line that may change? For instance, the photo site I use now is different than the one I used in early 2007. The link from 2007 is dead.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Agreed. The current version is fine. I use my signature for links to things like my flight memory and notification of upcoming DOs I'm participating in or arranging. Wouldn't want old ones hanging around.

Another suggestion re: signatures: I understand the reason behind the 250-character limit (ugh...some of the sigs on other fora are unbearable...), but is it possible to make the 250-character limit not include BBCode? I had a fairly short signature I wanted to add, but I couldn't make it smaller using the size command or link to the full URL I wanted to link to because of the limit. As long as the BBCode doesn't result in a visibly longer and more obnoxious signature, what can it hurt?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
jackal - would using tinyurl.com have helped with your sig link?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
jackal - would using tinyurl.com have helped with your sig link?
It may have, but I don't really like using obfuscated URLs.

If FT administration has valid reasons for not raising the limit or continuing to include BBCode in the limit, I suppose I could use it next time I encounter that problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.