Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Section for Motorhomes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Suggestion: Section for Motorhomes

Is it possible to have a section for people who travel using their motorhomes?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
but -FLYERTALK - it's a forum for flyers and flying. Have you searched for motor home forums?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is not really a technical issue, we have moved into The Suggestion Box forum.

Are there data that indicate the number of RV owners and websites out there? Those might be useful for our parent, Internet Brands, to think about a website for them, if RVing is not a fit for FlyerTalk.

Thank you for your suggestion.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A motor home forum seems pretty far afield from the core mission of FT. I agree there are probably other message boards better suited.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps some limited questions / threads could be housed in the new Non-hotel Lodging Forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-h...rbnb-vrbo-757/

I am not a motorhome person myself but in my (limited) motorhome interaction - it would seem is some crossover with non-hotel lodging services especially surrounding campgrounds and the like.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Duke787
Perhaps some limited questions / threads could be housed in the new Non-hotel Lodging Forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/non-h...rbnb-vrbo-757/

I am not a motorhome person myself but in my (limited) motorhome interaction - it would seem is some crossover with non-hotel lodging services especially surrounding campgrounds and the like.
My guess is not so much. (I've done extensive RVing including a one year solo trip in Central America and Mexico in a VW camper and a lot more in a 4WD truck with camper.)

It's more about RVers, vehicles, destinations including campgrounds, local and traffic regulations, sewerage connections, where to buy everything from parts to cooking gas to foodstuffs, repair stations for appliances, etc. etc.

Easily sufficient for a hefty forum and subfora, or even a website. See Internet Brands automotive sites (I'm surprised they don't have an RV site, but then Petersen's, Woodall, www.rvlife.com and others have been around a long, long time.)
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Coly Hope
Is it possible to have a section for people who travel using their motorhomes?
Coly Hope, thanks for thinking about this and putting the idea forward. I'm in agreement with those who feel it strays too far from our core mission. I know the RV industry is huge. Surely there must already be websites that specialize in this topic. I don't think our air and hotel site is the place for it. We attract flyers and not those doing road trips. Let me give you an example why I don't see this gaining traction here. We have a cruise forum. It's lightly used. Often the responses are "Go to cruisecritic.com. You'll find everything you want to know there." I hope that someone will come along and let us know where the cruisecritic version is of RV travel. I just don't see it being on FlyerTalk.

Carol
Community Director
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I know the RV industry is huge. Surely there must already be websites that specialize in this topic.
RV Forum dot net is one such forum.
I don't think our air and hotel site is the place for it. We attract flyers and not those doing road trips.
Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be any forums for discussing RV rentals, so perhaps FT would benefit from a RV renting forum in FT's Rental Car discussion section. I'll offer three possible reasons:
  1. There are types of flying trips on which renting an RV could be the preferred option -- for example, several US National Parks have campgrounds, but no lodging facilities.
  2. Like car rental companies, some of the RV rental companies offer cheap one-way rates when their fleets need repositioning.
  3. Nobody knows how to exploit program rules like FTers....
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Coly Hope, thanks for thinking about this and putting the idea forward. I'm in agreement with those who feel it strays too far from our core mission. I know the RV industry is huge. Surely there must already be websites that specialize in this topic. I don't think our air and hotel site is the place for it. We attract flyers and not those doing road trips. Let me give you an example why I don't see this gaining traction here. We have a cruise forum. It's lightly used. Often the responses are "Go to cruisecritic.com. You'll find everything you want to know there." I hope that someone will come along and let us know where the cruisecritic version is of RV travel. I just don't see it being on FlyerTalk.

Carol
Community Director
Thanks for your response. There are other forums for this but thought it would be a nice edition to Flyer Talk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.