Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I stayed at this resort with my family in 2006 and it was definitely quite tired already then. The service wasn't anything special nor was it particularly bad. The setting, right on the beach, though, is unbeatable and that in and of itself was worth it. The swimming pool was a lagoon style and not the cleanest but when you've got a terrific beach to swim on, it's hard to want to stay in the pool. They could have offered beach amenities (chairs/umbrellas) though but none were available. In short, not the best place but not a place to avoid.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:27 am

This Hotel and surrounding golf course is currently for sale by Tender.
Agent says Vendor must sell. Starwood are hoping to work with the new owner to do a significant property upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
is there any more recent information on this property? I plan to stay 5 nights in August and hope that things are better now than indicated in this somewhat dated thread.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:30 pm

I would be interested in any thoughts as well. I currently have two rooms reserved in late April but was told by the front desk that Platinum members aren't upgraded to villas. I'm wondering if it would be better off staying at a nearby villa.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:32 pm

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mwong2
I would be interested in any thoughts as well. I currently have two rooms reserved in late April but was told by the front desk that Platinum members aren't upgraded to villas. I'm wondering if it would be better off staying at a nearby villa.
I stayed there over the Christmas break and asked about Villas b/c I'm a plat as well. I was told that the villas are all individually owned and some owners have a deal with the property to rent them out. You can't get upgraded to them, and because they are all individually owned, you run the risk of having a place that isn't even up to Sheraton standards, etc.

The rooms were definately tired, but we spent most of the day by the pool anyways or in the restaurants, etc.

I found the staff very easy to deal with and super accomodating when you have kids in tow.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Stayed in Sheraton Port Douglas in Summer 2008 for three nights. Tired room and spotty service. Recreation facilities are nothing special. We did not spend time at the beach or the lagoons but rather used this hotel as a starting point for trips around the cost and dives at the Great Barrier Reef.
It took me numerous trips/calls to the service to get upgraded to just a marginally better room.
To conclude, I was treated better as a Gold in Hilton Cairns than PLT in this SPG property.
Old May 12, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Parking charge??

I am most likely heading to the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglass for a week this upcoming July. I am planning on renting a car in Cairns and keeping it the whole time. Does anyone know if there is, and if so how much, the car parking fee is at the hotel?

I found a weekly SUV rental at CNS of $400. I figure it is worth it (when I take into consideration that we then have transportation to get around Port Douglas as well as surrounding areas) to rent a car for the whole week than to pay round-trip transfer costs for a family of five from CNS to Port Douglas. Parking fees at the hotel could impact the decision though.

Thanks,

AC
Old May 13, 2009, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I stayed there quite some time ago and valet parking was complimentary. You could also self-park. (The car parks are outdoors).

A little research indicated this should still be the case.
Old May 13, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
When I stayed there a couple of years ago self parking was free. I don't see it as necessary to use Valet parking. I would recommend hiring the SUV, if at that price of $400. Probably cost effective, plus having your own transport in Port Douglas is a plus.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by rick253
When I stayed there a couple of years ago self parking was free. I don't see it as necessary to use Valet parking. I would recommend hiring the SUV, if at that price of $400. Probably cost effective, plus having your own transport in Port Douglas is a plus.
Ok, I went for renting the car. The price was pretty decent and I was able to get a Toyota RAV.

The only problem is that our flights from MEL get into CNS very late at 10:20 p.m. How long of a drive is it from CNS to the Sheraton Mirage?

Thanks,

Onedog
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by onedog
Ok, I went for renting the car. The price was pretty decent and I was able to get a Toyota RAV.

The only problem is that our flights from MEL get into CNS very late at 10:20 p.m. How long of a drive is it from CNS to the Sheraton Mirage?

Thanks,

Onedog
Onedog, the distance is 68 kilometres or 42.2 miles.
The road twists along the coast and the Crocodile Park along the way (not at night) is well worth a visit.
My suggestion would be to drive during daylight hours (keep left!!) after staying a night in Cairns.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, ANA Loser Status
We will be in Port Douglas in April/May -- has anyone had any recent experience at this hotel. The reviews see quite mixed. I was wondering if there had been any recent renovation activity?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA and BA
Originally Posted by Qwiklap
We will be in Port Douglas in April/May -- has anyone had any recent experience at this hotel. The reviews see quite mixed. I was wondering if there had been any recent renovation activity?

Thanks in advance.
I was just there last month. I was not aware of any renovation activity. Any questions, fire away.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:33 pm

Stayed there in November. Grounds are nice, but the rooms are old, tired, and have that musty/old/humid smell. No free internet (even in common areas); no gym (they use a country club across the street that has a horrible gym). Food was poor at best;

They tried to rip me off with 2 rates for conversion of USD to AUS --- one for cash and one for Cash and Points.

Overall, just an OK property, but Port Douglas is great.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
We just returned from a stay for only 2 nights in the begin of Feb. We dcided only to be here for 2 nigths due to the very different opinions and rating. Not only in this forum. And we loved it and were sorry to leave so early! We moved to another property for another 4 nights - sadly!

First of all for us being in Port Douglas should be relaxing as well. If the weather conditions are over 30 degrees we like to stay half of the day in a nice pool area - and this you have in this property. The garden is just amazing. All the birds making noise (much more than children :-)). The beach with sand on the pool was very clean all everything of the location.

Service was comming to the sunbed in a regular time. The stuff everywhere was just nice. And there was stuff everywhere.

First night we had dinner in teh restaurant and as it was late there wa no other choce. The was a dinner on th evening buffet for 80 AUD per person. Which I think is quite high. But we had the choice only get the BBQ specials with meet and some fish without dessert and some other things on the buffet for 30 AUD each. Very nice and fair price which makes sense compared to the prices in Australia.

We received a room upgrade to a pool view room which was quite nice. Yes the furnitures are old and the colour oft the bathroom is old feshined. But it is clean. I mean really clean. It even does not look very worn. Room wall where painted not too long ago. Depending on the price you pay - we stayed for 180 AUD/night, without breaky I would never stay somewhere else in Port Douglas again. If I pay 300 AUD it might look different.

We were wondering where the people are in the evening becuase the baar was empty an the town as well but there were some in the restaurant and pool but almost 0 at the bar.

Excursions can be book in the agency on the room and you will get points for it. (Was not possible in Sheraton Bangkok)

To say it again if we come back to Port Douglas we will stay here again - for sure. THANKS!!!

Some pics for you

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Lobby

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Restaurant area

[IMG][/IMG]

Room

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Beach

[IMG][/IMG]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.