Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hoboken [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I stayed at the W in Hoboken last night for July 4th. I booked a Wonderful room using a free weekend night from the current promotion. I asked about upgrades when I checked in but was told that the hotel was at 100% capacity (and also was last weekend). I thoroughly enjoyed the room (decor, location, etc.). My view was great watching the boats pull up for the fireworks. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. I also tried the restaurant today for brunch. Theey have a brunch menu and also offer a brunch buffet for $30 pp. I opted for the steak and eggs and skipped the buffet (but it did look very good).

Overall, I really enjoyed the W in Hoboken. It was great to stay there for the 4th. Plus, a good night away from home (even though I live around 10 blocks away) .
Old Jul 5, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Yesterday on the Food Network show "Chopped" hosted by Ted Allen, the W sous chef, 24 yr. old David Kirschner, came in 3rd out of 4 chefs - his Bison was undercooked! Competition was very tough though. Presented as the "Future Stars" of cooking in NY area. Sous chef from London - NY won it.

Moral of the story - don't order the Bison?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:21 am
Suspended

I ate at Zylo -- the W's hotel restaurant -- a couple of nights ago and was impressed. Hudson restaurant week was going on and the 3 course prix-fixe dinner was $35.00. I can recommend the individual pizzas, the branzino and their chicken and artichoke dish (somewhat less so).

For those that are interested, fill out the form below and you will be sent a 20% off discount coupon that is likely good for only the month that you submit your request -- mine is good until the end of this month. Not sure if this discount will be continued -- and it can't be used with any other discounts/promotions, like the restaurant week promotion that ends this week.

Use Promo Code CRG09 when filling out the form.

http://www.cornerstonerestaurants.com/promo.html

By the way, this restaurant group also has locations at the following W hotels, and presumably the e-mailed discount coupon would also be good at the following:

WAVE @ W Chicago Lakeshore
We @ W Chicago City Center
Solea @ W Mexico City

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Aug 4, 2009 at 7:34 am
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for the tip NJupintheair ^
Will be staying here in October-hope they extend that offer.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Thanks for the tip NJupintheair ^
Will be staying here in October-hope they extend that offer.
Also, right across the street is Trinity -- excellent for bar food on up to eclectic offerings. It's on IDINE and Opentable.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
I've never understood this hotel's appeal.
w hoboken and downtown hotel rooms/suites dont grab me, but residences do. keep hope alive for no minimum lease.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
reservation for Thursday night.

Hoping for a nice upgrade!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
I had a chance to stay here using the ZBT rate last weekend. No upgrade (and none expected since I'm only gold). Very convenient to Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, which worked well for me. I'd definitely stay here again, as this hotel was 1/2 the price of the collection of poor W's in NYC.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:09 pm

W Hoboken is ramping up really well actually.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
W Hoboken to Broadway?

I've got the W Hoboken booked for a one night stay on Oct. 8 (flying out of the country the next day). An opportunity has come up for me to attend a play on Broadway that evening. Since I've never been to the metro NYC area before, what would be the preferred way to get to Broadway and back.
I chose the W Hoboken because I didn't feel the need to be in NYC proper and the view from the W seems wonderful. AND, the price was right for me.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
You could take the PATH train to 33rd street and then take a cab to the show that you're seeing or you could connect via subway at 33rd depending on what theater you're going to.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I've got the W Hoboken booked for a one night stay on Oct. 8 (flying out of the country the next day). An opportunity has come up for me to attend a play on Broadway that evening. Since I've never been to the metro NYC area before, what would be the preferred way to get to Broadway and back.
I chose the W Hoboken because I didn't feel the need to be in NYC proper and the view from the W seems wonderful. AND, the price was right for me.
First off, see where your play is located - it is possible to walk -- if you are so inclined, from the PATH station at 33rd street to your show, if it is in the lower part of the theater district.

An alternative to the PATH -- which is the way I usually get into the city -- and I walk from the PATH to 42nd St (my wife's office is located there) is for you to take the #126 New Jersey Transit bus that runs along Washington Street in Hoboken (the main street in town) and it goes into/out of Hoboken to the Port Authority Bus terminal located at 41st/42nd and 8th Avenue. I believe the bus costs $2.55 each way (exact change). You can find a schedule online with a google search of the information provided above.

Also, the PATH runs all night and is safe, and the Bus runs on an hourly schedule I believe, as well late at night.

Enjoy the show!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Thanks!

Thanks to the 2 of you for offering me suggestions on how to get to the theatre. I'm going to see A Steady Rain at the Shoenfeld (even if the play stinks, having Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman on stage is enough to make it worthwhile. Some semi-nudity would be a plus ). I'll be alone, but I'm used to wandering around major cities around the world on my own. I'll probably just hit up Zylo for an early dinner and head over the River. I'll come straight back to the
W and end the evening with a couple of cocktails and just admiring the view across the river.
Any hints on how long I should plan to give myself to get from the W to the Shoenfeld?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Stayed there for one night on Sept 24 on points. As a platinum I was upgraded to a Wonderful Suite, on the 7th floor overlooking all of Manhattan. I was able to see from the George Washington Bridge to the Verrazano.

Arrived at 230pm. Valet parking took my car for what I believe was $35 a night. There is a parking garage directly across from hotel for $20. Hotel check in promptly recognized my platinum status and said they had already upgraded me to a suite. The room was not ready at that time but would be ready shortly as they called up to housekeeping to put a rush on it. The agent asked for my mobile phone number so she could call me when the room was ready.

They collected my bags and put them away while I waited for the room. I enjoyed the Living Room with its free wifi while I waited for my room to get ready. After 45 minutes and no call it was time to put a visit into the front desk again to see the status. The room was in fact ready, why no call I have no clue and I would be curious to see how long it would have taken to receive it but no complaints from here, especially after I walked into the room.

By far, it was the largest W room I have stayed in. 1.5 bathrooms, nice spacious master bathroom with tub and shower. Two flat screen TVs, one of those very loud (forget what they are called) sound systems, deskspace in both the bedroom and main area, small round table for eating, nice L-shaped couch, balcony with two chairs and table and what I thought was the coolest feature, a docking station with every conceivable different type of connector to charge just about any electronic device including my iPod Touch.

Called down to the front desk to ask for an extra set of pillows and blanket as my friend was spending the night as well and he would have been on the couch but they suggested bringing up a full roll-away for him so that worked out well.

Drinks in the Living Room Bar was pricey but I guess that's expected from a W, especially near NYC. $42 for two martinis, which included tax and gratuity already built in.

Overall, a very nice experience in a great part of Hoboken. Let me know if I can answer any more specific-type questions.

Mike
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
Overall, a very nice experience in a great part of Hoboken. Let me know if I can answer any more specific-type questions.

Mike
Thanks a lot Mike - great trip report

Having given a super detailed account my only question would be regarding the fact that I'm going for leisure with someone who is going to NYC for the first time..

Night life wise do you think we'll miss out on the "NY feel" - is it really that easy to commute in the evening - have a drink say in manhatten and then come back and relax in hoboken (assuming that the area has some nice bars)..

Thanks again - looking forward to hearing back from you!!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.