Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood looking for a Chief Beer Officer. Pay = 50,000 *points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood looking for a Chief Beer Officer. Pay = 50,000 *points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
Starwood looking for a Chief Beer Officer

I just read this article in Brandweek (http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/rec..._id=1003407982) and at first, thought it was a joke...
Joining rock star, Playboy photographer and Zamboni driver on the list of dream jobs will be chief beer officer, courtesy of Four Points by Sheraton.

The Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide brand will launch an executive search starting today for someone with brew eloquence and a rich knowledge of beer as part of its Best Brew program. The job posting appears in a full page in the Wall Street Journal and on HotJobs.com and Monster.com. The new hire—who actually would be brought on as an independent part time consultant—will be showered with Starwood Preferred Guest points and a generous travel and expense account for fulfilling duties like attending beer fests, sampling more than 300 brews, touring breweries, hosting Oktoberfest and choosing beer menus for new hotels. The CBO will assume the post by mid-January and begin documenting beer-related activities while imparting knowledge to others through a Web blog.

"The role of chief beer officer is really designed to help us create enthusiasm, to be our beer ambassador to create, promote, cultivate our Best Brew program and celebrate beer," said Hoyt Harper, svp, adding that a lot of his employees are volunteering for the job. They are ineligible, however.

Best Brew is rolling out of Four Points' "Comfort isn't complicated" positioning, which has included tangible Simple Pleasures like free bottled water, Seattle's Best coffee and apple cinnamon pie, which also is the signature scent wafting in the lobbies. North American properties will feature a wide selection of imports—Paulaner, Chimoy Red, Pilsner Urquell—and craft brews—Sam Adams, Fat Tire Amber Ale and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale—and every Four Points worldwide (130 in 22 countries) is encouraged to carry indigenous craft brews. Hotels will offer at least four draught beers and up to 20 bottled brews and sampler flights of 4-ounce pours accompanied by story cards.

The selections are broken down by style, character and body, so guests can easily pick. If they're still confused, they can consult with the lounge and restaurant staff who have all completed a training program for mastering aspects like the brewing process, presentation and pour. Each hotel has a Beer Champion who can educate guests about the differences between beers, food pairings and encourage them to try something new.

The program was developed with assistance from the Brewers Association, a trade group representing more than 1,900 craft, micro and home brewers. Four Points sponsored the Great American Beer Festival during September, which attracted a record 41,000 visitors to the Denver Convention Center and is the official hotel for the association.

The Best Brew program was featured in an October USA Today insert that showcased Simple Pleasures amenities. Another insert will appear during 2007. Additional support will include print hitting trade magazines for the Craft Beer Association and the Home Brewers Association, and direct marketing to Starwood Preferred Guest members.
I don't drink, but I imagine this could be a fun job for a beer lover.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:02 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by jeffshih
I just read this article in Brandweek (http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/rec..._id=1003407982) and at first, thought it was a joke...

I don't drink, but I imagine this could be a fun job for a beer lover.
Man, too bad it's going to be an outside posting. If it was internal only, I'd be all over that in a minute.

number_6? Looks like we could use some of your expertise.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the world-wide notoriety of the Four Points LAX's massive beer menu and all the special beer event programs they hold, and them supposedly having the first "Beer Sommelier" anywhere...Four Points should be able to find whoever was behind that whole thing, to at least consult with on this job search.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Smile

I think it's a great idea and fun too! ^

So many press releases are boring corporate-speak, so I really enjoyed reading the original release and all the tounge-in-cheek word play. I liked the quote from Four Points Senior Vice President Hoyt "Hops" Harper.

FP had not been known for being interesting in the past, so this along with the pies is a good way to give the chain some personality.

Here is the link to the, um, "job posting"

(William: sorry it's not an internal position, but we need you here at FT anyway! )
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Brandweek article misspelled Chimay Red as "Chimoy Red." Looks like these folks could use a brewmeister. If introducing the traveling public to Belgian Trappiste ales via Chimay, go with the Cinq Cents or Grande Reserve, or upgrade to Maredsous or St. Bernardus.

Also, the Pilsner Urquell we get here doesn't hold a candle to the stuff you get in Praha, and it's a shame the truly good Czech beers like Staropramen and Krusovice are well nigh impossible to get here.

Just 1:10 until work finishes so I can go get my beer fix.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Me! Me! Me!!!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG-PLT, DL-PLT, AA-GLD (1 MM)
My application has been submitted.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Brandweek article misspelled Chimay Red as "Chimoy Red." Looks like these folks could use a brewmeister. If introducing the traveling public to Belgian Trappiste ales via Chimay, go with the Cinq Cents or Grande Reserve, or upgrade to Maredsous or St. Bernardus.

Also, the Pilsner Urquell we get here doesn't hold a candle to the stuff you get in Praha, and it's a shame the truly good Czech beers like Staropramen and Krusovice are well nigh impossible to get here.

Just 1:10 until work finishes so I can go get my beer fix.
Sounds like you'd be a good man for the job. Do the first letters of your names - A-L-C-O hold any significance?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
LOL...sounds like it would be a blast with excellent perks...but I don't think I'll give up my day job
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:54 am
MeNoSay

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
and it's a shame the truly good Czech beers like Staropramen and Krusovice are well nigh impossible to get here.
You like Krusovice? I mean it's prevelent, but I didn't think it was that good...many many others I found much better in the C.R. and S.R. (and Poland).

Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I very much like Krusovice. However, Staropramen is my favorite. Different strokes...

Can't wait till New Years...will be spending it in MUC. If I fail to post in the weeks after New Years, it means I died a happy otter.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:05 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
There is a beer museum under development in Canada.....I am sure they would be most prepared to assist.....
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone actually tried to apply to this? Doesnt appear that the web page does anywhere....
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I was astonished to see that at least one 4Pts location has already implemented this upgrade ... the Phoenix Metrocenter location now has its bar stocked with Duvel in bottles, Paulaner on tap and a dozen other noteworthy beers (which is a step up from premium). Really nice to see some flavourful beers being carried, including some local microbrews. And the adjacent restaurant has rib-eye steak for $7.95 (cheaper than their breakfast buffet); didn't try it, however it seems that Starwood is making a concerted effort to counter the Hyatt initiative with Hyatt Place (which was blowing 4Pts out of the water; still is, but at least 4Pts is trying).

Last edited by number_6; Nov 18, 2006 at 6:55 pm
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SJCPremier
Has anyone actually tried to apply to this? Doesnt appear that the web page does anywhere....
It's still there. The link above has an extraneous period at the end so it should just be http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/cbo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.