Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Atlanta - Downtown. GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Atlanta - Downtown. GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Sorry to hear that your stay was less than impressive. Things must have gone downhill since I was there last year. BTW, is that the Wow Suite you were in Cheap?

I'm not sure of the room name/type. I know it was above the select standard pool. From my understanding the corner kings that look south are the Platinum upgrade.

It was obvious that had no plans to use this room, given how dirty it (dusty, things between the furniture and windows or walls) and how many light bulbs were out along with the finger prints all over the windows.

After seeing all those roaches (and it was a nest, not a couple), I was really tempted (I almost pulled the trigger) to move to the Westin. But I wanted to see their recovery and really check out the hotel. I wonder how many people slept in that room not knowing they were sleeping next to roaches?.

This is why I go over every inch of the room before I unpack a thing to make sure everything is in order.

I highly doubt I'll return as a guest.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:08 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Thanks Cheap ^. Looks like I'll be skipping this one an staying at the Midtown property instead.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Enjoyed a quick one night stay at the W Downtown! Didn't get a great platinum upgrade but did get a nice Cool Corner Room (even though it had two doubles and I prefer a King)....they were evidently sold out. Room was more spacious than most of the hotel rooms I have been in recently and I particularly liked the floor to ceiling windows in the room. Very nice gym on the 16th floor with great equipment, nice floor workout area and a view of ATL. Best part of the hotel is definitely the BLT Steak Restaurant! I have eaten at way too many steakhouses to count and this was by far one of the best dinners I have had in recent memory. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal and the steaks (and everything else) was prepared perfectly! Will definitely be trying some of the other BLT locations in the future.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by christianj
Best part of the hotel is definitely the BLT Steak Restaurant! I have eaten at way too many steakhouses to count and this was by far one of the best dinners I have had in recent memory. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal and the steaks (and everything else) was prepared perfectly! Will definitely be trying some of the other BLT locations in the future.
Did they enjoy the bill as well? I agree, very good restaurant and they know it as reflected by their prices.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Any recent updates

I usually prefer the Midtown location, but alas, they are sold out at my rate for one night of my stay. I'm planning on staying at the Downtown location next week.

Last edited by MJonTravel; Feb 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Delta GM, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
I've stayed at this property a few times. As a platinum, I usually get upgraded to one of the oversized corner rooms (though not a full suite).

The rooms are nice, but I have to say that they really need to work on the lighting - the rooms are WAY too dark. I realize it's part of the the W "vibe," but really, can't they put in some more powerful lamps?
Old May 9, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update on their Plat breakfast. Very nice continental with fresh made pastries, Vitamin Water, yogurts and the like all jazzed up W style.

Last edited by CNWO4LIFE; May 10, 2012 at 12:15 am
Old May 10, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We had a nice one night stay at the W Downtown this weekend. Got upgraded to a corner room with tons of window and a spacious and fun layout. Didn't use any services at the hotel other than valet parking ($30, valet only). Valets were super friendly and efficient.

The check-in agent was cordial, but had trouble swiping my AMEX and asked for another card. Being the points whore that I am, I asked if she could try again or manually enter my card info and she refused (how W of her). Ended up using my wife's AMEX and went back in the a.m. to another agent and switched it back to my AMEX. Kind of silly, but it all worked out in the end.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Downtown isn't the liveliest part of Atlanta, but if you need/want to be down there, the W is a great choice.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I have a meeting at the Ritz tomorrow, so I decided to stay in the city instead of driving back home. I got this on the AAA rate (cheaper than my corporate rate). I was going to stay at the St. Regis due to the proximity to the Ritz, but I ultimately decided to spend a little less money ($149 AAA at the W vs. $199 corp at the St. Regis) and "deal" with traffic in the morning. I booked a Wonderful room, was pre-upgraded to a Fabulous, and then pre-upgraded again to a Studio Suite overlooking the Connector. I believe this is the same room I was upgraded to during my last stay here, to be honest (same view, same room type). You can obviously see the "wear and tear" to the furniture and rooms in general. Things look nice and very "W" from a distance, but a close-up look certainly paints a slightly different image... not that it is bad, but I'm not really certain it should have been moved up a category earlier this year.

This hotel is within walking distance of a few restaurants (within a half block from the affordable Mellow Mushroom and Jimmie John's) and a few blocks from Hard Rock and others. Due to the location, street noise can be a problem, but it is also quite convenient to Downtown and Midtown.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:14 pm

Kennected, THANKS :-) All the photo's you provided make me "drool" :-) ME LIKEY!!! Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I stayed at the W Downtown last week on a rare business trip. My conference was about equidistant from the W and Westin. I had stayed here once before and had a decent experience so I chose it again. It was fine this time, but there were a series of small things that added up, leaving me thinking I probably won’t be back.

Highlights
• Upgraded to a cool corner room
• BLT food was excellent (but pricey)
• Staff were friendly

Lowlights
• Check-in took about 20 minutes. I was the only guest and there were two staff. They couldn’t get my credit card to swipe. Ended up rebooting their computers, which took a while. I had a very similar problem on my first stay two years ago.
• My room wasn’t as clean as I’d like. Frosted glass in bathroom was dirty, nightstands had glass rings, sofa had food residue, trash can had dark gunk caked on it. It was also worn. The desk was pretty banged up.
• Not enough lighting. I know this is the stereotypical complaint about Ws (which I usually find to be overblown), but I had every light in my room on full blast and it was still too dark in there.
• After checkout, I was charged for the Munchie Box (minibar). It was quickly corrected after an e-mail.
• I opted in to Green Choice at check-in, but didn’t receive the points. Upon following up, I was told that I didn’t opt in and that leaving a DND sign on my door didn’t make it automatic, but they would give me the points anyway (you’re wrong, but we’ll make an exception for you).
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Does anyone know what the plt breakfast option is at this hotel? I'm trying to decide between staying here and and the nearby Westin (which I believe does a cold continental) for an upcoming stay

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
Does anyone know what the plt breakfast option is at this hotel? I'm trying to decide between staying here and and the nearby Westin (which I believe does a cold continental) for an upcoming stay

Thanks
They have a nice selection of hot pasties, assortment of drinks, boiled eggs, and several types of yogurts and cereals. I am a more eggs and bacon guy, but their selection is very good.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
They have a nice selection of hot pasties
Now that would make for an interesting breakfast...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Now that would make for an interesting breakfast...
LMAO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.