Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Atlanta - Downtown. GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Atlanta - Downtown. GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:53 am

Yes, most definitely. Buckhead is in good hands and we still have some of our very best there. Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
When you look at room availability, this property used to show the studio suites, now it does not. Why? I wonder if it is a way to say these are not select standard suites?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another great weekend at my favorite Atlanta hotel. Upgraded to a nice Fantastic Suite.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
W Downtown Atlanta Foreclosure Worries

A bright sopt in ATL may be dimming....

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...605200^2836741
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwsatl
A bright sopt in ATL may be dimming....

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...605200^2836741
Wow! If the worst happened, what would become of the folks who bought apartment homes there. Scary thought.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Wow! If the worst happened, what would become of the folks who bought apartment homes there. Scary thought.
Good question. If I recall correctly from another article I've read only 1 has sold to date. Apparently this project and several others (Rosewood, IC, and Loews - this spring) came onto the market at just about the worst posible time.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:58 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The posted article states that only one of the residences has closed.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
The posted article states that only one of the residences has closed.
That place has been open for a year, and only one residence out of 74 has sold? Wow!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:36 pm

That place has been open for a year, and only one residence out of 74 has sold? Wow!
This was my thought as well. I thought maybe the article actually meant foreclosed, but rwsatl's comment seems to confirm that only one has sold.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
ATL is so overbuilt and the local economy is crumbling at an alarming rate.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
ATL is so overbuilt and the local economy is crumbling at an alarming rate.
So very true and the W downtowns ridiculous rates can't be helping occupancy
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I heard CE just finished a stay here, and I am awaiting his meticulous review.
Old May 1, 2010, 6:36 am

No rush CE, but have you had a chance to compose your review yet? Looking at a stay here in June, so you have another month if you have not (kidding of course )
Old May 1, 2010, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

The W Atlanta - Downtown is located in the Allen Plaza development in Downtown Atlanta. That includes W hotel residencies, office and retail space. Due to the economy the development has slow considerably and the building which houses the W and it’s residencies nearly went into foreclosure and almost auctioned off. The area has a way to go before becoming a truly seamless walking/urban neighborhood.

The W Atlanta - Downtown is a sleek 28 story tower with approximately 230 rooms, located on the north end of Downtown above the 75/85 connector.

RANKINGS

Exterior Common Areas [4]
Driving up to the hotel you drive into the Wheels motor court, indicated by the trademark “W” most properties have outside. Due to Atlanta’s traffic, it’s pure hell getting in and out.

Check-in/Check-out [0 out of 5]
I was “greeted” if you can call it that by one of the nasty check in agents I’ve even encountered. She was dismissive and super condescending. She appeared unhelpful, unmoved and as though she didn’t want her job. As a HUGE W Fan, this individual is not what I've come to expect when checking in. I was given a small room that was not clean. Went downstairs and was handled by someone else and given a much better room. I have to wonder why wasn’t I given this room to begin with? I don’t throw “I’m a Platinum member” or the “do you know who I am” BS lines about, but in this instance, I felt like the agent could have placed me in a better room. I’m sure this room is not apart of the upgrade pool, but at least the agent could have tried done more than the tiny and more importantly, dirty room I was initially assigned.

Interior Common Areas [5]

Once you enter the building, you can go left to check-in area or right to the living room. although oddly shaped and space planned, I really love the decor of the living. It’s bright and lively and is definitely a conversation piece unto itself. Definitely a good spot to start of the night! You can be in the middle of the action while at the same time having some privacy. The check-in area borrows a bit of the same feeling yet is a bit darker.

The elevators didn't have the "whimsy" you would find at other W. It's rather plain.

Guest Rooms [3]
I wish I could rate this room higher but despite the size and view, there nothing spectacular about the room.

Parlor [2]

Your enter an “L” shaped parlor that overlooks the connector and gives you full views of midtown.
Overall First Impression: Great - this is what I what I’m accustomed to in regards to size.
Furniture & Decor: I think it’s hideous. It’s like Barney and Grimace collaborated on the design scheme. Not to my taste. My friend Richard would love it though )
TV: 40” HD TV with good channel coverage. However, the TV is not adjustable so you can only see it from one side of the room.
Lighting: Lighting over the dining table and two table lamps. During the day it’s not needed but at night, its a challenge to balance the lighting.
Workspace: There is no designated or functional work space in the parlor. If needed one could work at the dining table.
View: View north of midtown

Bedroom [4]

Overall First Impression: Nice and spacious. City views continue around the corner.
Bed: Inviting, very firm & nice linens. If you’re a person who chooses to work in bed, you’ll need to unplug several devices so that you can get to an outlet
Furniture & Decor: same as the parlor, but I do like the feature wall behind the bed.
Closet Space: One small closet that houses the safe and iron/ironing board.
TV: Identical to the parlor
Lighting: Lots of lighting on either side of the bed.
Workspace: Desk is opposite bed and faces building across the street. Good lighting and electrical sockets near the desk.
View: The bed and desk face the apartment building and the view is of that buildings recreation deck.

Guest Room Bathroom [4]

Sink: Residential feel with good counter space. Enough working space for multiple people to prepare without causing any issues.
Shower: Nice sized shower with rain shower head. Good pressure and water temperature.
Tub: No tub
Toiletries: Typical bliss toiletries and lots of towels

Housekeeping [0]

I only spent one night in the hotel but there are some major issues from housekeeping. My room was so dusty my asthma flared up and I’ve never seen so many dust bunnies. There was dust all over the desk and the W snack tray, night stands and lamps. In addition, the mirrored top of the coffee table was not secure and as I brushed up against the table to reach for a book, it nearly fell off.

I encountered more issues with housekeeping. I usually walk around the property and take picture early in the morning when most people are sleep. I was on the floor where meetings take place. I checked in on Saturday afternoon and in the hallway, Sunday Morning, there was food left from a meeting on Friday. (Initially I thought this was from Thursday, but I was mistaken)

Club Level/Lounge N/A
No

Fitness Center [5]

Large room with amazing equipment, cardio machines and free weights. Room is well planned and spaced.

Pool [3]

Infinity pool and deck but super tiny. If you’re looking for tranquility, you wont find it here. Pool provides views of downtown. Personally I think they should have planned better for a pool in a downtown property in a warm climate city.

Business Center N/A
There is one on site, but I did not use.

Concierge N/A
There is one on site, but I did not use.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [4]
There is free wireless in the living room. There is a $14 fee in rooms. Rooms are also wired. The signal was very strong and quite fast & I was never dropped.

Parking/Valet [5]

Very fast. I called for the car prior to going out and it was there before I got downstairs. This was approximately 5-7 minutes.

Dining N/A
BLT Restaurant on site but didn’t dine there

Miscellaneous
Hotel offers Acura service to surrounding area. Be sure to make reservations in advance.

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
Doesn’t appear housekeeping department is on staff nor accountable.

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
The initial room assignment was inexcusable. Agents at a top notch property should know the loyalty program benefits, so top level elite members don't have to, “work” for published benefits. The other employees were nice, especially the Valet staff.

Good location if you need to be downtown or southern midtown. Easy access to downtown and midtown restaurants, venues and highway access. The major problem is getting in and out of the property.

Would I return?
Maybe. The property doesn't seem clean and check in staff needs to be more receptive to loyal members and break from the “I can only do so much” script. Based on my experiences at other W hotels and comparing this property to the other W hotels in Atlanta, this experience was bad. I like the physical plant more than the W Atlanta - Buckhead, but the service at that Buckhead property is fantastic with good restaurants and shopping closeby. Comparing to the W Atlanta - Midtown, the Midtown property has a better location, nearby restaurants, nicer decor, more suites and the staff is super accommodating and well versed in the SPG program

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
No. W hotels are not family hotels

Good for business travelers?
Yes. Property is located in the CBD

Good for a romantic get away?
No.

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
Yes. As it’s in the heart of the city and Atlanta is a city where one needs to drive to get anywhere.

Would I recommend restaurant?
NA

Value for price paid?
Good

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 5

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 18, 2010 at 8:47 am
Old May 1, 2010, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
OMG I totally forgot, but have not been motivate to write any FT reviews. Heres a little something to hold you over.

Nice lobby area but a little tight.

Blah hallways. Play book out of the original W's

Upgraded to a nice room that looks north after the original room I was assigned was infested with roaches. Someone left french fries in the night stand. I went to plug in my ipod and had to open the draw to move it away from the wall and "BAM" roaches scatter everywhere. Housekeeping at this property seems to be lacking.

I walked around the conference area early the morning of my stay. I normally do this around 5AM as I can get pictures when the hotel is quiet. I walked into one of the rooms and there was food from a THURSDAY meeting left in a room on a SUNDAY.

Housekeeping/maintenance at this property is bad!

In the upgraded room I was assigned. It was major league dusty and I had to call maintenance to replace several light bulbs in the room.

The suite was very "space 1999" in style. I dont get it.

I went to reach for a book and bumped the table slightly and the glass top damn near slide off

In addition, a member of the Valet was straight racist.

I wasn't feeling this property. I would stay at the W Perimeter and W Buckhead before staying here again. If I need to be downtown, I'll stay at the W Midtown where I'm treated very well.
Sorry to hear that your stay was less than impressive. Things must have gone downhill since I was there last year. BTW, is that the Wow Suite you were in Cheap?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.