Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

ITC Sonar, Kolkata (Calcutta), India [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ITC Sonar, Kolkata (Calcutta), India [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
made C&P reservations back in February while this property was still a Cat 2 (2800 points + $45 -- approx. INR2025) however upon checking out noticed I was being billed INR3105 (approx. $70) before taxes added per night (and even with INR 3105 stated as base rate they charged me INR3737 base rate for the first night)
Even at this properties current Cat 3, a C&P would be 4000 points +$60 so where they are coming up with their base rate of $70 to begin with is questionable (and again, it should have been $45!!).

So, before just signing off on your bill I suggest reviewing it carefully because something ''ain't" right with their billings.

I'm awaiting a disputed bill notice response from the property as they could not, or would not, respond before I checked out but this episode has definitely soured me on staying at this property in the future
i believe the state requires hotels here to charge 10% luxury tax on the rack rate....this could easily add $20-$30 to your bill....it's specially applicable if you are upgraded....

why were you not able to sort this out when you were at the property????
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
that's why I listed "base rates" so the 10% luxory tax and 5.15% taxes could be added

hotel never found my reservations in StarNet when checking in so I downloaded the reservation details received from SPG.com (Cat 2 C&P) but upon checkout (in which I wasted 45-minutes arguing with an intransagent) maintained they are now Cat 3 so should be more............ now a Starwood problem to solve

Originally Posted by Keyser
i believe the state requires hotels here to charge 10% luxury tax on the rack rate....this could easily add $20-$30 to your bill....it's specially applicable if you are upgraded....

why were you not able to sort this out when you were at the property????
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
that's why I listed "base rates" so the 10% luxory tax and 5.15% taxes could be added

hotel never found my reservations in StarNet when checking in so I downloaded the reservation details received from SPG.com (Cat 2 C&P) but upon checkout (in which I wasted 45-minutes arguing with an intransagent) maintained they are now Cat 3 so should be more............ now a Starwood problem to solve
how much were you charged in total, including tax????
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:11 pm
Suspended

the property has now responded stating that the original overcharges are to be blamed on "Starwood system generated error" agreeing to bill the C&P rate in accordance with their current Catagory 3 status....... upon further dispute they have now agreed, although I won't be able to verify for a few days, to bill the C&P rate in accordance with their Catagory 2 status which they were when the reservation was made. If in fact the additional credits stated would be credited to my credit card the final bill will be roughly 50% of the original overcharges where they should have been when I checked out instead of causing this situation!

Originally Posted by Keyser
how much were you charged in total, including tax????
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:05 pm
Suspended

-but don't count on what "they" say!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-reservation made as cash & points while property still Cat 2 (now Cat 3)
-initially charged as if they are Cat 4
-dispute results in charges as if they are Cat 3, notwithstanding res at Cat 2
-credits to be received, but that was 3-weeks ago and without any further responses as to why credits stated are not forthcoming

Dear Sir,

Greetings from ITC Sonar,

We would like to clarify the billing as follows.

Preauthorisation--8241.61.

Charged--6156.24.

Amount to be refunded to your account --1728 from the amount of 6156.24(i.e amount initially charged as per USD 60 rate).

Regards
Sushmita Ghosh
Room reservations.
ITC Hotel ,The Sonar
1,JBS Haldane Avenue
Kolkata--700046
Phone:033 2345 4545
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
incredible... they have gone from Cat 2 to Cat 4 in a year's time?

I have a 1 night stay in CCU and am debating between this property and the Hyatt Regency. The Hyatt is closer to the airport, but otherwise I can't really see much difference. Which one should I go with (Hyatt is about 1K INR cheaper, if that matters)?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
incredible... they have gone from Cat 2 to Cat 4 in a year's time?

I have a 1 night stay in CCU and am debating between this property and the Hyatt Regency. The Hyatt is closer to the airport, but otherwise I can't really see much difference. Which one should I go with (Hyatt is about 1K INR cheaper, if that matters)?
while i have not stayed at the hyatt, i have stayed at the itc multiple times & wouldn't hesitate to stay here every time i'm in kolkata....
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:19 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The Swissotel near the airport is connected to City Centre II and a very very nice new property (will actually be living at this property February-May). However, the location is on the very outskirts of Kolkata proper. The ITC Sonar is my second choice.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: DL DIA; SWA CompPass ; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; National Exec. Elite
ITC-Maurya (Dehli) and ITC Agra

I am SPG Platinum, wondering if anyone has stayed at both or either property? Any thoughts, recommendations, contacts, or onsite amenities to make the most of?

Thanks!

*posted this on the general board, then saw there was an India specific thread. My apologies.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shs.ru97
I am SPG Platinum, wondering if anyone has stayed at both or either property? Any thoughts, recommendations, contacts, or onsite amenities to make the most of?

Thanks!

*posted this on the general board, then saw there was an India specific thread. My apologies.
stayed at both....avoid itc maurya....its overpriced & service is not as good as it used to be....you would be much better off at either the le méridien or the sheraton....

i like itc agra....good property for the price....my suite upgrade success is 100% here....
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: DL DIA; SWA CompPass ; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; National Exec. Elite
Ah I knew it! The Le Meridien was booked, looked to be a great choice however. Too late now, facing a cxl penalty even if something was open.

I think the Sheraton was a bit further away, and didn't seem as nice.

Lesson learned... FT first. Book later. Ha.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:10 am

Keyser - one quick question: I noticed that all hotels are listed as smoking rooms. Is this the norm? I cannot seem to find non-smoking rooms at these hotels, oddly.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah I knew it! The Le Meridien was booked, looked to be a great choice however. Too late now, facing a cxl penalty even if something was open.

I think the Sheraton was a bit further away, and didn't seem as nice.

Lesson learned... FT first. Book later. Ha.
i would actually rate the sheraton the best of the 3....its a smaller hotel but in a very good location, great service & has 2 amazing restaurants....
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keyser - one quick question: I noticed that all hotels are listed as smoking rooms. Is this the norm? I cannot seem to find non-smoking rooms at these hotels, oddly.
they definitely have smoking rooms....just call or email them if you don't see it online....
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum. Hilton Gold. IHG PA. Accor Platinum
ITC Sonar Kolkata

Stay Period - 2011.1.15 ~ 2011.1.20
Room - Tower Room & ITC One Room

- Very good room condition ^
- High-quality meals ^
- Platinum Benefit is a breakfast and Happy Hour
- Great spa facilities ^
- Culinary Plus Card (ITC F&B card) is available ^

Culinary Plus Card
8.800 Indian rupee. Valid for 1 year. Need 2 photos

Approximately 100 photos and the reviews written in Korean
To see the reviews you need a very fast internet speeds

ITC Sonar Kolkata - Tower Room & ITC One Room

Last edited by StationaryTraveller; Feb 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.