Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Chiang Mai (former Le Meridien), Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Chiang Mai (former Le Meridien), Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'm planning an award stay here in November. It'll be just me. I'd really like a non-smoking king room. Unfortunately, the only rooms available on points are non-smoking 2 single beds or smoking king rooms. Non-smoking king rooms are available for sale, and are available for points at other times of the year, but not the week I'm planning stay. What should I book to get the biggest chance of a non-smoking king room at check in? Or should I not count on that?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I'm planning an award stay here in November. It'll be just me. I'd really like a non-smoking king room. Unfortunately, the only rooms available on points are non-smoking 2 single beds or smoking king rooms. Non-smoking king rooms are available for sale, and are available for points at other times of the year, but not the week I'm planning stay. What should I book to get the biggest chance of a non-smoking king room at check in? Or should I not count on that?
If you're SPG Plat then you'll likely get upgraded to a suite anyway so it's a moot point. Just put on your reservation that you'd like one large bed instead of two smaller ones.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by ftrichard
If you're SPG Plat then you'll likely get upgraded to a suite anyway so it's a moot point. Just put on your reservation that you'd like one large bed instead of two smaller ones.
That's usually the case, but it depends when it will be in November. If it is toward the beginning of the month, during Loi Krathong, the hotel will most likely be full, so it might not have a lot of flexibility.

Never stayed there on points, so I do not know if those bookings are treated differently than the Revenue reservations, as far as the suite upgrade priorities are concerned.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
When you are booking the reservation, just check off the box that says "I am booked for a room with 2 beds, but would prefer a king" or words to that effect. Shows up on every reservation.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:15 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
That's usually the case, but it depends when it will be in November. If it is toward the beginning of the month, during Loi Krathong, the hotel will most likely be full, so it might not have a lot of flexibility.

Never stayed there on points, so I do not know if those bookings are treated differently than the Revenue reservations, as far as the suite upgrade priorities are concerned.
Why would it matter?

Upgrade policy is the safe for both types of booking at this hotel.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I've stayed here on points and by paying... got upgraded to suite both times so that is not an issue. Property does get a ton our tour groups though and is hot domestic tourist destination so often gets packed. Last time I was there I wanted to extend but couldn't because hotel fully booked for a Thai corporate retreat.

I would just email and/ or call hotel in advance for your preference for bed type as a request. I do that for about 50% of my stays when w family in general and usually it pays dividends.

As fyi this is property where worthwhile tonupgrade to club if you are not plat -- breakfast buffet too chaotic when tour groups come and club service wonderful.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Why would it matter?

Originally Posted by UASPG

"Never stayed there on points, so I do not know if those bookings ..."

The issue that I had brought up was full occupancy (Loi Krathong), which gives the hotel less flexibility for upgrades. If there are too many Platinum guests (the Marriott Platinum & Platinum Premier are now also part of the group) staying at the hotel, in addition of booked suites, I assume that they have a look at the list of the incoming guests to determine who is getting the suites.

Last edited by UASPG; Aug 26, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Trying to book award stay that begins 31-Dec. Can't do it online and they are forcing me to call. Why? Are they going to stick me with the compulsory 5,999 THB New Years Eve Gala dinner even though booking with points? Marriott doesn't do this to me.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Did you see availability for a stay with points on NYE ?
If you did , they probably want more than the usual amount due to the holiday.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
So I bit the bullet and called (I hate talking to humans!). Rooms were available and I made a booking. During the process, the woman on the phone mentioned the NYE Gala Dinner. I asked if it was compulsory and she said it was optional and I was "invited to this exclusive event". I receive my email confirmation and it clearly states the thing is compulsory.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Webstie says compulsory. Quite common for Thailand but usually not city hotels. Good side is good there generally good
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
It is compulsory. That's why i dont stay there over NYE.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

I'll call and complain that the agent told me otherwise and if they don't make an exception, I'll cancel and stay at an Airbnb.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:40 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I'll call and complain that the agent told me otherwise and if they don't make an exception, I'll cancel and stay at an Airbnb.
Or check if booking through a 3rd party eliminates the charge.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Trying to book award stay that begins 31-Dec. Can't do it online and they are forcing me to call. Why? Are they going to stick me with the compulsory 5,999 THB New Years Eve Gala dinner even though booking with points? Marriott doesn't do this to me.
You mean, "Are the terms and conditions going to be the same as those published on the website?" Why would you expect otherwise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.