Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Photos can now be posted within threads in the Starwood forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photos can now be posted within threads in the Starwood forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Photos can now be posted within threads in the Starwood forum

We are happy to report that the FlyerTalk ‘powers-that-be’ have selected the Starwood Preferred Guest forum to participate in a pilot program to experiment with the use of photographs within the threads of the forum. Effective now, photos can be embedded in your posts! Here is an example from the Trip Reports forum of a thread containing photos.

That’s the good news. The ‘other’ news is that it is not an especially simple thing to do. We point you to this thread in the Travel Photography forum for all the technical guidance as to how posting a photo can be accomplished. When reading the referenced thread, all you have to do is mentally substitute “Starwood Forum” every time you read ‘Travel Photography Forum’ (‘TPF’ for short). Our fellow moderator, sbm12, did an exceptional job of laying out options and instructions.

The two of us will be the first to admit that the technical aspects of this initiative are outside our ‘core competencies,’ so we will leave this thread open for discussion amongst all of you as to the best approaches for posting your prize-winning hotel bathroom shots.

Naturally, there are a few rules associated with posting pictures within your threads.
  • Photos should be related to the topic at hand: Starwood hotels. The purpose of this concept is to enable you to illustrate with a photo something hotel-related that would otherwise take a thousand words.
  • All the Rules of FlyerTalk apply. So decency, staying on topic, protection of privacy, etc. are as applicable with photos as they are with words. Granted, this is a bit of new territory for FT and the Starwood forum, so we will be evaluating any issues and concerns as they come up. It’s all part of the pilot concept.

If, after reading the thread mentioned above, you have questions about ‘how to’ do something, feel free to post it here. More importantly, if you have answers, please feel obligated to post them here.

If you have concerns about something, or take issue with a specific photo that has been posted, these issues are best addressed via Private Message to one or both of us, or by using the “Report Bad Post” icon in the lower left-hand corner of every post in the forum.

This will be an interesting test process and we look forward to experiencing the journey with you.

AZ Travels the World & l'etoile
SPG Forum Moderators

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Dec 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Smile

YES!!!! ^^^^

Writing a review that includes pictures, just became so much easier!

Perfect timing as I'm sitting on a couple of reviews.

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Thumbs up

Great idea!!!

Sometimes a photo says more then 1000 words.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Great idea!

Now we can start the countdown to our first "here is a photo of the pee stain on the carpet in the <insert name of SW hotel> room I checked into."

Seriously, it will be great to see a real-person photo perspective of many of the properties we discuss in the forum.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
Fantastic news! This will definitely enrich the forum. Thanks so much!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
^^ This is wonderful news. I'm glad "the powers that be" are listening!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Great idea!

Now we can start the countdown to our first "here is a photo of the pee stain on the carpet in the <insert name of SW hotel> room I checked into."

Seriously, it will be great to see a real-person photo perspective of many of the properties we discuss in the forum.

BS we already have thread like or similar to that situation. See one of my reports from NoLa.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:04 pm

Is that really embedding a picture in a post? The example looks like just linking to pictures (that I still have to click on). Is this feature supposed to show the pictures in the post, or just links to the pictures? If the latter, how is that different from before?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by thor17
Is that really embedding a picture in a post? The example looks like just linking to pictures (that I still have to click on).
I'm a little puzzled by your comment. Did you look at this trip report?

Or take a look at the Travel Photography's thread Room with a View.

And here's Beautiful images...just because.

QF009 is an active poster in this forum. Look at his current trip report for some great images. Here is his photo record of the W Honolulu.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:26 am

Ok, for those that can't see the pictures in the post itself, make sure you have "Show Images" checked in the "Thread Display Options" under "MyFlyerTalk". I didn't even realize that there was such an option and that it was unchecked in my account. No wonder I was only seeing hyperlinks to images and not the images themselves!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
... QF009 is an active poster in this forum. Look at his current trip report for some great images. Here is his photo record of the W Honolulu.
Testing:

Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by thor17
Ok, for those that can't see the pictures in the post itself, make sure you have "Show Images" checked in the "Thread Display Options" under "MyFlyerTalk". I didn't even realize that there was such an option and that it was unchecked in my account. No wonder I was only seeing hyperlinks to images and not the images themselves!
Thanks! I can see them now.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:47 am
Community Director Emerita

I just spotted a picture in the Bangkok general discussion thread. Thank you, Moomba.

cheepneezy has added pictures to the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, Phoenix, Master thread.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 12, 2008 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Cool. And I salute this capability with these pictures of progress in working my way through the complimentary mini-bar in my room at Le Meridian Stuttgart

Last edited by u600213; Nov 11, 2008 at 9:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.