Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: CO Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Westin Times Square - Sitting Area in Standard Rooms?

Debating between booking rooms for a small group at the Marriott Marquis or the Westin TS. The biggest plus with the Marquis was the small sitting area (Chair and 2 seater small sofa, plus the desk chair) in (what I believe) were all standard rooms.

This made it easy to have meetings in the rooms without feeling cramped. From photos on SPG.com and reviews in this forum, I can't get a feel for the spaciousnes of STANDARD rooms at the Westin TS; particularly the sitting area if there ven is one.

Any feedback from frequent stayers at the property on this issue, and any other items that make it compelling to choose/not choose the Westin over the Marquis, would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:44 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
I don't think you'd get that kind of spaciousness at Westin TS standard rooms. Though they are decent-sized by NY standards, they are (the standard rooms) the typical 300-ish sq ft hotel rooms with the bed(s), desk, and that's about it. I don't KNOW for sure they don't have a sitting area, but I don't remember so, not even in their club rooms which are a bit bigger.

My last stay at Westin TS was back in May, and honestly I don't remember all the details of the room(s), except that they seem pretty standard. Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I've done impromptu meetings at Westin TS. What I like is that some rooms have window sills with padding (I think they are the club though) and there is also a bench that is padded and good for two people to sit. Add in 1 sitting chair + the desk chair and bed edge and you can get a few people in a room for a quick meeting.

What I like about WTS is that there are many many different room layouts and some take advantage of the window sill as a sitting area.

In terms of banquet & meeting rooms WTS vs Marriott are like night and day style and Food & Beverage wise. Westin is much much more contemporary.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
We stayed in a King room a few weeks ago at the Westin. Overall the room was pretty small...not sure there's really room for what you're looking for.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: CO Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Thanks all for the responses - very helpful.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Agred...no room for that at all.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:42 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I took my 9-year old son to NYC for his very first trip to the big city. As we arrived at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, the 1 block walk was extremely convenient. Check-in was swift and uneventful and I was offered my choice of amenity without having to remind the staffperson.

Corner room 3939 with a fabulous views of the Hudson River, theater district and Empire State Building. Room was clean and none of the furniture showed any wear. Check-out request for 4pm was honored and was incredibly convenient as we were out and about until 3:45pm. The Heavenly Bed was perfect.

Executive lounge always had pre-packaged snacks during non-meal hours and bottles of water and soda. Breakfast was the standard fare but plentiful and of high quality. We never made it to the lounge for the evening appetizers so I have no idea how good they may have been.

I have stayed in many other hotels in NYC but must say this had quickly risen to the top of my list of favorites in the city.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:49 am

As a gold member, I got an upgrade to a corner room, without asking. It was a large, wonderful room with nice views of the Hudson. However, the incessant traffic noise and honking at all hours of the night did get annoying and I was 28 floors up. I guess this is the penalty to pay with such a central Times Square location.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by thor17
As a gold member, I got an upgrade to a corner room, without asking. It was a large, wonderful room with nice views of the Hudson. However, the incessant traffic noise and honking at all hours of the night did get annoying and I was 28 floors up. I guess this is the penalty to pay with such a central Times Square location.
I was eleven floors higher than you and never heard any street noise.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Service is sometimes inefficient, yes, but I've been having corporate meetings there once a year, and those have been absolutely excellent. And if someone thinks a jr. suite on the 44th floor with 4 windows is not all that special, then they should only stay at 5* hotels.

The Westin is a good 4* hotel, with some excellent things, and some downsides resulting from size.

It's now my hotel of choice in NYC (3 times per year).
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Gold
I think the club floor corner rooms are a much better bet than the junior suites. I always decline the junior suite for the layout alone...plus they are larger than the junior suites. The in room PC is a nice added perk.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Good Day Everyone!

Does anyone have the contact information (email) for the executive assistant to the GM or maybe the Director of the Front Office for Westin Times Square. We will be arriving next week and I want send a short email to make sure everything goes smoothly.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Lightbulb NYC NYE: 12/29-1/1 W TS Still has Rooms $349; Westin TS Has Cash and Points!

I was playing around yesterday on spg.com with a few destinations for NYE.

I found rooms available for NYC NYE!!! The hotels seem to be wide open this year...strange, but for 12/29/07 - 1/1/08,

W TS still has rooms available AAA rate for $349/night

Westin TS has cash and point available!!! 8K points + $150

I was really tempted to go with United Airlines having p.s. F and C available on 12/29 and 12/30 in the morning and 1/1 return in the afternoon.

But in the end, I decided to stick with my original plans to go elsewhere, but I figured someone could take a last minute trip to NYC for NYE!!!!

p.s. W TS has many rooms with a view of Broadway. I know their fabulous rooms have views of the performance stage. The windows open too.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Good Day Everyone!

Does anyone have the contact information (email) for the executive assistant to the GM or maybe the Director of the Front Office for Westin Times Square. We will be arriving next week and I want send a short email to make sure everything goes smoothly.
I recently booked a 6 night C&P stay at the Westin TS for the Mrs. and my 10 year anniversary. Similar to the question above, any suggestions and/or information to help ensure we have a GREAT stay?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VfrmSea
any suggestions and/or information to help ensure we have a GREAT stay?

Thanks in advance for your help!
sure. just relax and have a great time. don't get all worried about potential upgrades, etc.

you're welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.