Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It is weird.

There's also a Park Central New York, with the same logo and web design, though no apparent Starwood affiliation.

And a Park Central Hotel in Miami, but design-wise, there doesn't appear to be any relationship to New York and now, San Francisco.

Yet the Westin website shows it under the Westin flag as the Park Central San Francisco.

Will be interesting to see what this all means.
It doesn't have to be affiliated with Starwood. There are 2 SLS hotels that are not affiliated with Starwood either.

There are also a number of Westin hotels/resorts that are part of the Westin brand but don't carry the name. Like the Swan, Mona Surfrider, and Sunset Key Cottages.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It doesn't have to be affiliated with Starwood. There are 2 SLS hotels that are not affiliated with Starwood either.

There are also a number of Westin hotels/resorts that are part of the Westin brand but don't carry the name. Like the Swan, Mona Surfrider, and Sunset Key Cottages.
I'm clear about all that, but first it's leaving, then it's 'back in the fold' and stays under the Westin flag but shares the name with a non-Starwood property.

Certainly not unprecedented, but IMO an odd series of events that will be interesting nonetheless.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

There are also a number of Westin hotels/resorts that are part of the Westin brand but don't carry the name. Like ........ Mona Surfrider, .........
You mean the one who's complete name is "Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach" ?

Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by clublounger
You mean the one who's complete name is "Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach" ?

Ok let's stick to the Walt Disney World Swan then .
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I certainly understand that there are some Sheraton and Westin affiliated properties (like the Disney properties) that presumably wouldn't cut it as Luxury Collection properties, but also deviate from brand standards enough not to be considered a true Westin or Sheraton. This property is different, however... As it was renovated right after the Westin reflag, using the exact Westin room prototype design of the time.

So if they've resolved the contract dispute with Starwood and have returned to the system, why the change in name?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sold for $350MM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...X&t=1422319981

Says nothing about remaining in SPG, even if not a Westin
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...X&t=1422319981

Says nothing about remaining in SPG, even if not a Westin
From that link:
Highgate Hotels will continue managing the hotel as an independent property. The Park Central San Francisco was built in 1984. It underwent a $28.3 million renovation in 2007. LaSalle says it will begin new renovations in the fourth quarter of 2016.

I wonder if Starwood is playing nice through the transition because Highgate runs several other hotels under Starwood Brand names?

Yelp, Foursquare, Wikipedia, etc. all seem to have been updated to reflect the new name a wipe out references to Westin.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I received this email this morning from SPG

Dear beachfan,

"We are writing to inform you of an update in the status of The Park Central San Francisco, formerly The Westin San Francisco Market Street. While the property will no longer be a Westin hotel, we have agreed to continue to allow the hotel to remain on certain Starwood systems, including SPG, on a temporary basis following the closing of the sale.

We are very pleased that the hotel will continue to participate fully in the SPG program but we realize that this news may be upsetting to our valued members who cancelled reservations or those who we assisted in moving reservations to other Starwood hotels in the San Francisco area. Upon learning that the hotel was leaving the chain as of January 23rd, it was important that we inform all our guests, and work with members most affected by the change. We regret any disappointment this news may cause and hope we can count on your understanding.

For our members who will be staying at the hotel, we are pleased to advise that all SPG benefits will be honored. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact either the hotel team at 415-974-6400 or the Starwood Customer Service team at [email protected].

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to being of service in the future."

I'm thinking I still might be better off in the Towers at the St. Francis for a comparable rate. I see some stated they preferred the St. Francis. The Westin is a hair better located for me (because of BART) but not so far as too make a difference.

Any other thoughts on my choice options?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by beachfan
We are very pleased that the hotel will continue to participate fully in the SPG program...

I'm thinking I still might be better off in the Towers at the St. Francis for a comparable rate. I see some stated they preferred the St. Francis. The Westin is a hair better located for me (because of BART) but not so far as too make a difference...
I just called Plat Concierge and she said there is no advisory that the "Park Central" is leaving SPG, at least not by mid-Feb when I will be there.

I've stayed at all of the SPG options. I like the more modern feel of the Westin, but it is also closer to Moscone, where I will be attending a conference. For old classics I prefer The Palace, especially because it has a nice pool as well as being closer to Moscone. However it's undergoing renovations so has less availability. The W used to have a nice pool but closed it, and it's always more expensive.

I've also been following the "Plat100 walked from St. Francis" thread and it's left a bad taste. Finally, I'm also hoping the recent confusion chased away so many Plats that I have a better shot at an upgrade!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not bookable beyond December 31. Also, clicking through to the hotel from the search list shows a big picture of the Westin sign.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

"...we have agreed to continue to allow the hotel to remain on certain Starwood systems, including SPG, on a temporary basis following the closing of the sale.....

We are very pleased that the hotel will continue to participate fully in the SPG program ...
This makes no sense to me - are they staying with SPG temporarily or are they participating fully on a permanent basis?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!

Any other thoughts on my choice options?
I was booked into the "Park Central" this coming Thursday but the W dropped their rates so I switched to the W. My favorite SF SPG properties in order: Le Meridien, W, St. Francis, Palace, Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, and last the "Park Central".

I find it hard to believe the will value their SPG members when I always felt snubbed as a Platinum.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:33 pm

I am at this hotel now and they did honor SPG benefits, including offering green choice and checkin points.

The people at the front desk say they arent sure yet if they will stay SPG, but for now are acting as they are. The difference from when it was Westin is really nothing, but they have done an excellent job purging the westin logos from everywhere throughout the hotel.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:08 am

Do they still have Westin Heavenly bath products?

Does the white tea aloe aroma still waft through the lobby?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
Do they still have Westin Heavenly bath products?

Does the white tea aloe aroma still waft through the lobby?
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

I would love to know the full story behind the scenes.

From the sounds of it, there is a bit of an identity crisis at the property.

Not good from a branding perspective at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.