Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ready2Go
This property has once again begun offering double occupancy rooms for standard SPG Points redemption availability.

See Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only
Print Wikipost

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Wow, they're dropping like flies. First the Diplomat, then this.
What do you mean "first the Diplomat"? We've lost about a dozen Starwood hotels here in Europe in the last 18 months. It's been going on long before the Diplomat.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I don't get everyone & their "W will be a good replacement for the Pulitzer"

Huh? The W is in no way/shape/size an option for those that once were fans of the Pulitzer.

I don't know if you can image starker opposites than those two hotels.

The ONLY thing they have in common is SPG. So if your only concern is that, yes, the W is a replacement. If you were into the Pulitzer for location, design, feel, charm, history, etc - then no, the W won't come close to replacing this gem (and the Pulitzer is a gem for SPG, no matter how you feel about it).

The pictures of the future W, irregardless of what they pull of inside.....eek. Not exactly that "Amsterdam charm" us long time visitors love so much. Even the Andaz - Hyatt's W counterpart - pulled off one hell of a feat with their Prinsengracht location [and respect for the facade/charm of the area].
For sure the W style will be almost the complete opposite of the Pulitzer, and you are right that people who like the charm of old Dutch houses will not get that at the W. But on the other hand, the W hotels that have opened on the European continent have proven to be excellent overall hotels. I expect this W to be miles better than the Pulitzer in terms of luxury and comfort. AND in Platinum recognition!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:25 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by stimpy
...I expect this W to be miles better than the Pulitzer in terms of luxury and comfort. AND in Platinum recognition!
+1

(at least I hope so!)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:01 am
Suspended

For sure the W style will be almost the complete opposite of the Pulitzer, and you are right that people who like the charm of old Dutch houses will not get that at the W. But on the other hand, the W hotels that have opened on the European continent have proven to be excellent overall hotels. I expect this W to be miles better than the Pulitzer in terms of luxury and comfort. AND in Platinum recognition!
I haven't had a chance to stay at a European W. I've come close to staying at BCN's, but am always turned off at the last minute. I hope what you say comes true for AMS.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Don't cancel! Starwood will either proactively take care of you or you can ask them later next year to switch your reservation to the W if it's ready by then. Or perhaps Des Indes.
While I've read the Des Indes is great, I'll be specifically in Amsterdam this trip for a two-night layover to visit exhibits at Amsterdam museums. So the extra hour to/from Amsterdam from The Hague makes the Des Indes a non-starter this time.

We'll see what happens with the W's plans. Besides, I'm curious as to how Starwood will handle existing award reservations, and I'm certainly in a good position to find out.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

I wouldn't call the Des Indes a substitute, or even close to being an adequate option, for the Pulitzer.

I agree with the logistics stimpy has outlined above. I just don't agree that's a viable option for those coming as tourists.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:42 am

I totally agree here. The W and Pulitzer are milk and meat. We stayed at the Pulitzer a few winters ago and thought the hotel had lots of charm and the location was great. Didn't care about SPG amenities, besides, I swiped lots of strupwafel to make up for it

We experienced the W in Bali for brunch and it made me want to vomit. To each their own.

Like I said, milk and meat.

Huh? The W is in no way/shape/size an option for those that once were fans of the Pulitzer.

I don't know if you can image starker opposites than those two hotels.

The ONLY thing they have in common is SPG. So if your only concern is that, yes, the W is a replacement. If you were into the Pulitzer for location, design, feel, charm, history, etc - then no, the W won't come close to replacing this gem (and the Pulitzer is a gem for SPG, no matter how you feel about it).

The pictures of the future W, irregardless of what they pull of inside.....eek. Not exactly that "Amsterdam charm" us long time visitors love so much. Even the Andaz - Hyatt's W counterpart - pulled off one hell of a feat with their Prinsengracht location [and respect for the facade/charm of the area].
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't call the Des Indes a substitute, or even close to being an adequate option, for the Pulitzer.

I agree with the logistics stimpy has outlined above. I just don't agree that's a viable option for those coming as tourists.
To be clear, I meant two things.

1. The Hotel Des Indes is a much better hotel than the Pulitzer, so you won't regret it from a hotel standpoint.

2. If your schedule allows it, the transport to and from Amsterdam isn't bad. And the immediate area around the Hotel Des Indes is a museum mecca. To me it's better than Amsterdam for museums, but that is of course subjective. And there's great museums all over Holland!

But as stated I hope and expect the W to be good. The Euro W's in Barcelona, Paris, Istanbul, etc. are really top notch, at least in my Platinum guest experience. There are some iffy W's around the world, but not in Continental Europe. And yes I specified Continental because I'm not a fan of the W in London!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:34 pm
Suspended

To be clear, I meant two things.

1. The Hotel Des Indes is a much better hotel than the Pulitzer, so you won't regret it from a hotel standpoint.

2. If your schedule allows it, the transport to and from Amsterdam isn't bad. And the immediate area around the Hotel Des Indes is a museum mecca. To me it's better than Amsterdam for museums, but that is of course subjective. And there's great museums all over Holland!
Agree ^

FWIW, and sort of in response to farbster, I've never seen a W I've liked (disclosure: I've only been to a handful of domestic properties). It's just not stylistically "for me"... but yes, to each his/her own.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:03 am
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
While I've read the Des Indes is great, I'll be specifically in Amsterdam this trip for a two-night layover to visit exhibits at Amsterdam museums. So the extra hour to/from Amsterdam from The Hague makes the Des Indes a non-starter this time.

We'll see what happens with the W's plans. Besides, I'm curious as to how Starwood will handle existing award reservations, and I'm certainly in a good position to find out.
All SPG award night bookings for after April 1st 2015 that were made before the exit was publicly announced will be honoured at Hotel Pulitzer under the same conditions. Any SPG guests wishing to cancel their stay or transfer to the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel will also be able to do so. SPG members will be advised that since the hotel will no longer be affiliated with Starwood, they will not earn Starpoints for any eligible charges incurred, nor will they receive any of Starwood Preferred Guest membership amenities or benefits.

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Benelux Starwood Hotels & Resorts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:42 am
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Originally Posted by Okto
Is the W Amsterdam still on track to open in late 2015?
The W Amsterdam is still scheduled to open on Sep 1, 2015.

Kurt Renold
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
All SPG award night bookings for after April 1st 2015 that were made before the exit was publicly announced will be honoured at Hotel Pulitzer under the same conditions.

. . .

Kurt Renold
^ Excellent but very different from what we've seen when other properties have exited the SPG program. Kudos to whoever negotiated this.

Could this be an indication of the way award reservations will be handled in the future for property departures?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I completely agree. W is a hotel of last resort for me, and we've had excellent experiences at the Pulitzer. And judging by the massive discounting happening at some Ws this fall, I wonder if the brand is in trouble.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I completely agree. W is a hotel of last resort for me, and we've had excellent experiences at the Pulitzer. And judging by the massive discounting happening at some Ws this fall, I wonder if the brand is in trouble.
What discounting? I haven't seen any discounting at the Euro W's. Again, in case all the above posts weren't clear, the W's in Europe are not at all like the W's in the US or elsewhere.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
.....And judging by the massive discounting happening at some Ws this fall, I wonder if the brand is in trouble.
Massive discounting at Ws? Care to mention which one? I love Ws but hate their rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.