Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa, El Vendrell, near Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa, El Vendrell, near Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
We are considering this hotel as part of a trip to Spain this year. We did Barcelona (W), Madrid and the wine region (Marques de Riscal) on our last trip to Spain several years ago and really enjoyed it. For this trip we want to do a short 2 night stay in Barcelona, fly over to Mallorca and then finish the trip at the LeM Ra. I was hoping to get some updated information or suggestions on:

- recent Platinum experiences? Was planning on booking an award room but in a higher category for more points to at least guarantee a sea view room. Planned on then submitting an SNA to hopefully get a suite
- how long of a stay is recommended at the property?
- Are we going to be bored out of our minds?
- Surrounding area
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by christianj
We are considering this hotel as part of a trip to Spain this year. We did Barcelona (W), Madrid and the wine region (Marques de Riscal) on our last trip to Spain several years ago and really enjoyed it. For this trip we want to do a short 2 night stay in Barcelona, fly over to Mallorca and then finish the trip at the LeM Ra. I was hoping to get some updated information or suggestions on:

- recent Platinum experiences? Was planning on booking an award room but in a higher category for more points to at least guarantee a sea view room. Planned on then submitting an SNA to hopefully get a suite
- how long of a stay is recommended at the property?
- Are we going to be bored out of our minds?
- Surrounding area
We actually drove by and took a closer look at this hotel while we stayed at the W Barcelona a couple of months ago (we had a car). Some random thoughts:

- El Vendrell looked pretty boring, but also had some local flavors to it. Think small and rather unspoiled seaside community. The hotel really stands out as the one and only (high end) hotel in the area.
- The hotel has a boulevard/beach promenade in front of it, so no rooms are ocean front. Not sure how much noise this means in high season.
- The beach in front of the hotel was really nice and clean.
- I think the SNAs can be applied for duplex suites, however the pictures of those IMO are not very inviting. I do not like sleeping on a small loft. The suites in the main building may be nicer? But being in the main building also means being in older style rooms.
- I really think you need a car here, unless you plan to be on the beach all day. Some interesting sights and cities are pretty close.
- We toured the restaurant and lobby, and we were strucked by how classy it looked.
- This hotel seemed VERY popular by russians. Maybe they are affiliated with a travel company in Russia?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by heakja
- The hotel has a boulevard/beach promenade in front of it, so no rooms are ocean front. Not sure how much noise this means in high season.
Semantics perhaps, but yes they are oceanfront rooms. Pretty much all oceanfront rooms have a beach in front of them no? And I wouldn't call the tiny strip of pavement a boulevard. Its for joggers, bicycles and roller skating. As this is a laid back area, there's not a lot of noise.

- I think the SNAs can be applied for duplex suites, however the pictures of those IMO are not very inviting. I do not like sleeping on a small loft. The suites in the main building may be nicer? But being in the main building also means being in older style rooms.
As mentioned above the duplex suites are very nice and should be better since the renovation. And they are in the main building. And I've never needed a SNA to get upgraded to them.

- I really think you need a car here, unless you plan to be on the beach all day. Some interesting sights and cities are pretty close.
Yes you should have a car, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

This hotel seemed VERY popular by russians. Maybe they are affiliated with a travel company in Russia?
I've never seen Russian groups there in all my stays. Why would you assume they are always there if you only went once?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Semantics perhaps, but yes they are oceanfront rooms. Pretty much all oceanfront rooms have a beach in front of them no? And I wouldn't call the tiny strip of pavement a boulevard. Its for joggers, bicycles and roller skating. As this is a laid back area, there's not a lot of noise.

As mentioned above the duplex suites are very nice and should be better since the renovation. And they are in the main building. And I've never needed a SNA to get upgraded to them.

Yes you should have a car, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I've never seen Russian groups there in all my stays. Why would you assume they are always there if you only went once?
Well, english is not my first language, so boulevard may not be the right term. I agree that many rooms have ocean view, but it looked like the pavement (?) in front of them could have some impact on the privacy on the balconies. I personally think of oceanfront as direct (and unobstructed) on the ocean, but I see your point.

Hm, I though the duplex suites were on each side of the main building, in newly added side-buildings. Sorry about that.

There were a lot of russian-speaking people in the lobby (plus on the beach where we spent half a day). Quite a few reviews at tripadvisor mention the same. But just to be clear, russia is one my neighbor countries, and it was not meant as something negative. And, of course, I could be wrong.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heakja
Hm, I though the duplex suites were on each side of the main building, in newly added side-buildings. Sorry about that.
You can read this thread and note the dates to see the duplex suites have always been there long before the renovation and new buildings. They may have added more suites in new buildings since then, but I haven't been since the renovation. The kids like the W Barcelona too much.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:12 am

Thanks for the added discussion heakja and stimpy!

Planned on using SPG points for the stay since we are going to go outside of the Starwood fold in Mallorca to pick a luxury hotel. (There's now way in the world I would consider paying 70k points or Euro 1000 per night for a Jr. Suite at the St. Regis which looks just like a larger room with a two chair seating area.)

I assume I can book a Duplex Suite with a higher amount of points so that is likely what I will do. Since we will be there in August (I know it's not optimal but it was the only time we could actually get flights on some expiring BA Companion Vouchers) I think it is likely to be very busy. I don't want to book a Standard Award room and then be stuck in it even though I tried to apply an SNA or luck out with a Plat. upgrade.

Am I right to assume that being in the newer buildings (in a Duplex Suite) would likely be a better choice than being in the old buildings since it looks like the suites in the pictures on their website in the old building don't seem to have terraces/balconies?

Was planning on getting a car so thanks for confirming that!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:37 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Av. Sanatori, 1 Playa San Salvador El Vendrell, ES 43880

Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa (0 Photo)

Both Oceanfront Duplex Suites we have stayed in right on the ocean. In fact, the terraces are delightful with the sunbeds.

If you drive you will not see the local town. We only saw it on our second trip because we got lost. It's totally unappealing.

The property is a star within the Starwood footprint, and seems to be undiscovered by most. When we go we spend the day on the beach, drink Champagne on the balcony at night and last time they had a piano player we could hear from our terrace.

It really is delightful and you can read both my reviews but we only visited for a night. A few hours more drive you can reach the Westin Valencia wish is a delightful city.

Would you like to write a review on the Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pre-renovation the duplex suites did not have a terrace, but the "junior" suites right next door did have a large terrace.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

While this is a very useful thread, I still have a few questions about the property:

1. My wife and I like to take long walks on beaches. Any estimates of how long this beach is in terms of distance or walking time, and how nice the walk is?
2. After having it on my radar screen for years it looks like we'll finally go there for a few days in the first half of June 2016. Any guesses on how crowded the hotel and the area might be then?
3. It looks like I'll be an SPG Gold at the time of our visit. Any experience regarding Gold treatment, such as upgrades or other perks?
4. Any particular restaurants folks would recommend within walking distance of the hotel (including places reachable via long walks along the beach)?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In terms of distance, I'd say hundreds of kilometers. In other words as long as you can walk.

I can't recall the names of the restaurants, but just walk to your left out the beach door and you'll see what there is. Or you can drive up to Taragonna as mentioned earlier in this thread for some good eats.

June should be a bit busy, but not as busy as July. I don't know about Gold treatment.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:00 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If you have a car I would drive to Sitges, maybe 45 mins on the freeway and eat at La Fragata, we do this on every stay http://www.restaurantefragata.com
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for the information, folks. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI the lobby is being renovated now. Which makes it a bit of a pain staying here. But returning to our room last night we found a nice bottle of Cava on ice and some chocolates to make up for it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Any recent updates?

A few of the Travelocity reviews were negative, but most here are positive. I'm looking at a 5 night stay around July 20th, either here or Pine Cliffs in the Algarve.

Also, I can book an upgraded King Grand Deluxe room. Is that a nice one?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Any recent updates?

A few of the Travelocity reviews were negative, but most here are positive. I'm looking at a 5 night stay around July 20th, either here or Pine Cliffs in the Algarve.

Also, I can book an upgraded King Grand Deluxe room. Is that a nice one?
I commented on your post in the Pine Cliffs master thread as well.

This is a nice hotel but it is NOT a 5 Star property so I think that is what most of the negative comments on TA are all about. The location is nice right on the beach but the area is in no way shape or form a high-end luxury area. Lots of locals walk the boardwalk at night and it seems very family oriented. Pine Cliffs has more of a isolated resort feel but I would also not rate it 5 stars.

IMHO if you decide on the Ra Beach you should book a room with a balcony and ocean view. (I don't think the King Deluxe rooms have balconies but I might be mistaken.) We booked a Duplex Suite which was right on the boardwalk side looking at the beach and ocean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.