Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dtremit
Here's where I think you misunderstand: in my experience, a "martini" is a classic cocktail made with gin and vermouth (or, by heretics, with vodka and vermouth).
I thought the heretics used vermouth. It's hard to keep track these days.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
and the lychee "martini" will likely have been premixed, so they wouldn't even have to hand whatever ingredients they did use
No, they were actually mixing them there. I could see the bottles.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I thought the heretics used vermouth. It's hard to keep track these days.
I have a friend like that. He used to order "bone dry" martinis. After a few chats, he agreed that he might as well just order straight gin.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:30 pm

You could have used this method to order your martini:

Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Rate seems to be increasing here

Is it just my bad luck/imagination but is the room rate increasing here?

I'm a regular visitor to this hotel (~40+ leisure stays in last three years) and know what I pay for two nights at the weekend booked a few weeks in advance - generally Baht4000++ or thereabouts. Have had rates in the Baht3000s and have gone up to high Baht4000s at times but always around there.

It's the correct price for this hotel in Bangkok being more than the Royal Orchid Sheraton, Four Points and Aloft and less than the W and St Regis.

Twice now in recent months I've decided to stay elsewhere because the entry level price in October is in the Baht6199++ which makes it Baht7000s including taxes etc. which is just too much for this hotel. All the regular rooms are gone already and the executive rate includes all the benefits I get anyway as a Platinum (breakfast, happy hour etc.). Nothing unusual about the weekend - SPG's other Bangkok hotels are their usual prices which makes LeM more expensive than the W and St Regis which is a bit bonkers.

In July, I ended up staying at the W (mistake - not a favourite hotel - I'd have preferred the Royal Orchid) and now I'm looking at the second weekend of October some seven weeks away - and same thing. Nightly rate is Baht6199++ which I'm not paying. So, they're forcing me to try the Sheraton Grande (Baht4467) or the Plaza Athenee (Baht5006) or go back to the Royal Orchid (Baht3035).

Anyone else experienced this at LeM Bangkok? Am I just very unlucky planning a Bangkok weekend when they've block booked an event into all the regular rooms only leaving the Executive Deluxe rooms? Nice for the hotel to be full at weekends so much in advance but pushing regular customers away like this risks me finding somewhere I prefer...
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ftrichard

I'm a regular visitor to this hotel (~40+ leisure stays in last three years) and know what I pay for two nights at the weekend booked a few weeks in advance - generally Baht4000++ or thereabouts. Have had rates in the Baht3000s and have gone up to high Baht4000s at times but always around there.

It's the correct price for this hotel in Bangkok being more than the Royal Orchid Sheraton, Four Points and Aloft and less than the W and St Regis.

Twice now in recent months I've decided to stay elsewhere because the entry level price in October is in the Baht6199++ which makes it Baht7000s including taxes etc. which is just too much for this hotel. All the regular rooms are gone already and the executive rate includes all the benefits I get anyway as a Platinum (breakfast, happy hour etc.). Nothing unusual about the weekend - SPG's other Bangkok hotels are their usual prices which makes LeM more expensive than the W and St Regis which is a bit bonkers.

In July, I ended up staying at the W (mistake - not a favourite hotel - I'd have preferred the Royal Orchid) and now I'm looking at the second weekend of October some seven weeks away - and same thing. Nightly rate is Baht6199++ which I'm not paying. So, they're forcing me to try the Sheraton Grande (Baht4467) or the Plaza Athenee (Baht5006) or go back to the Royal Orchid (Baht3035).

Anyone else experienced this at LeM Bangkok? Am I just very unlucky planning a Bangkok weekend when they've block booked an event into all the regular rooms only leaving the Executive Deluxe rooms? Nice for the hotel to be full at weekends so much in advance but pushing regular customers away like this risks me finding somewhere I prefer...
I looked and first weekend of October rates are 4700 and rest of weekends are 3800. The executive rooms are standard rooms with breakfast and evening drinks so if there is an executive room there should be a standard room available.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:11 am

What are you booking on? SPG app shows cheapest price for Friday 6 to Sunday 8 October is Baht6199 per night.

And the Executive rooms also have a Japanese water cleaner attached to the loo seat so they're different inventory.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ftrichard; Aug 20, 2017 at 1:30 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
What are you booking on? SPG app shows cheapest price for Friday 6 to Sunday 8 October is Baht6199 per night.

And the Executive rooms also have a Japanese water cleaner attached to the loo seat so they're different inventory.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...language=en_US

I used the date 7 - 9th which accounts for the difference.

Last edited by geminidreams; Aug 20, 2017 at 1:58 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
That is last weekend of the October 1 holidays in China which might explain high prices. Chinese tourists will flood Thailand so prices generally high. For example LM Chiang Mai doubles rates from what I paid last month
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:51 am

I know. I work in China and that's why I'm also in Thailand that week. (It's the flights that are most affected.) However all the other SPG hotels are normally priced that weekend (so far - I'll get my reservation done imminently) and this is the second time Le Meridien has priced me out by only offering high price executive rooms as the entry. Seems to be the Friday that's the problem. While I wish their wedding package well I don't appreciate its impact on my travel plans. This hotel used to be my second home in Asia. Now... not so much.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *

Same experience. The spg.com rates of this hotel became a total turn off.

I also think that the LMBKK value is quite a bit less than the PA or the SGS, so I am expecting lower rates than at those 2 properties.

I booked the first part of my next Bangkok stay at the WBKK, where I am always upgraded to a Marvelous suite. The hotel has good breakfasts. No evening snacks but the area has now many good dining options. The hotel could be a little more generous with its drink coupons to attract more Platinum guests on a regular basis.

There is also the Westin with its lounge where you can drink and eat snacks during the day and have dinner on the evening. It has often good deals, especially if you stay 3 nights.

I have been back at the ROSH, too. Great prices nowadays and the experience was not so bad.

I hear quite a bit about the Renaissance and will try it in the near future.

The Marriott Marquis Queen's Park is another good option and the Marriott The Surawongse might put a price pressure on the LMBKK, starting in January.

Last edited by UASPG; Aug 20, 2017 at 9:06 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Maybe something to do with the GM who thinks she can charge as much here as at the Plaza Athenee ...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Lament
Maybe something to do with the GM who thinks she can charge as much here as at the Plaza Athenee ...
Hopefully, that's not the case, as rates are going up at the PA due to their upcoming Luxury Collection branding.

Now, that's the plan, but the prices will have to adapt to the market and the occupancy.

Talking about the rates at both properties, the HM at the LMBKK used to be the Director of Sales and Marketing at the Plaza.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:17 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Your screen shot actually shows 4332 rates , edit just realised that’s not for the LM
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried the W last time and got a corner room, two drinks vouchers and had to choose between breakfast or 500 points (breakfast is obviously better value). Any GM who sticks so closely to the letter of the programme in a highly competitive city like Bangkok clearly doesn't need or want Platinums. At least, that's my view. Maybe spoilt by so many great SPG Platinum experiences across Asia. I did like the ROS and our suite view of the river and the lounge when we stayed there one time and it's excellent value for the money.

Thinking about it... I wonder if most hotels of this type in Bangkok have random weekends when the basic rooms are block booked in advance by a group/event and the only reason I notice it at Le Meridien is that I've stayed there so often. I don't want to move my loyalty (last time I was there two weeks ago, numerous staff commented that they hadn't seen me in a while - true because the rate was too high so I stayed elsewhere) but needs must.

Originally Posted by UASPG
Same experience. The spg.com rates of this hotel became a total turn off.

I also think that the LMBKK value is quite a bit less than the PA or the SGS, so I am expecting lower rates than at those 2 properties.

I booked the first part of my next Bangkok stay at the WBKK, where I am always upgraded to a Marvelous suite. The hotel has good breakfasts. No evening snacks but the area has now many good dining options. The hotel could be a little more generous with its drink coupons to attract more Platinum guests on a regular basis.

There is also the Westin with its lounge where you can drink and eat snacks during the day and have dinner on the evening. It has often good deals, especially if you stay 3 nights.

I have been back at the ROSH, too. Great prices nowadays and the experience was not so bad.

I hear quite a bit about the Renaissance and will try it in the near future.

The Marriott Marquis Queen's Park is another good option and the Marriott The Surawongse might put a price pressure on the LMBKK, starting in January.

Last edited by ftrichard; Aug 21, 2017 at 12:49 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:18 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
There's a new LC property in BKK? Anyone know much about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.