Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Recent visit to Le Meridien Bangkok

I thought there was a thread dedicated to this hotel, but searching did not turn it up. Mods, please move this if appropriate.

Take this review with the appropriate grain of salt, since I was only there for one night and was mainly busy with business meetings. Anyway...

When I first entered the hotel, I thought the chic nightclub ambiance of the lobby was a bit too much for me. But the overall feel of the place did grow on me in my brief time there. Service was excellent in terms of both friendliness and efficiency, including in dealing with a small glitch I'll describe below. I would call the room medium-sized, but certainly adequate and nicely arranged. View from my room on the 22nd floor was pretty good, though nothing spectacular.

I stopped by a couple of the restaurants, which definitely fit with the hotel's cool, trendy concept, but didn't dine in them. If I'd had more time, I would have probably had a meal in one to take in the scene as well as the food.

Some might love the Potpong location for what it offers; others dislike it for the same reason. I found a middle ground. I took a nice stroll through the area, checked out the stalls and got a kick out of the scene. As a guy wandering down the lanes alone, I was approached a number of times by hawkers trying to get me into clubs and massage parlors. Having lived in Southeast Asia for several years and traveled and worked in it subsequently, I took this in stride and joked with them, which is probably the best way to handle it if you're not interested. I doubt that a couple or a woman would be hassled this way. And of course, while the hotel is very close to Potpong it's on a different street, so it's not as though you have to stroll through the area if you don't want to.

Anyway, there were some glitches. None a major hassle, but enough so that I would give the place four stars out of five:

1. Apparently, if your laptop automatically connects via wireless to the internet (as mine and I believe many do), it blocks your ethernet connection for five minutes even after you disconnect the wireless link. It took a couple of visits from the helpful IT staff to straighten this out.
2. For each of the few times I was out of the room, I had to swipe the contact-less key several times before it would work to get back in.
3. My room service meal of salmon, tomato soup and pad thai was uniformly mediocre. (Serves me right for ordering room service when I could have eaten out in Bangkok!)
4. The electronic window shades are a nice touch, but take much longer to open and close than a simple curtain would.
5. No upgrade to a better room as a Hilton Gold. It's not something I have any right to expect, but still worth noting.
6. Taxi drivers don't yet know where the hotel is. But if you provide the name, the street that it's on and say Potpong, they'll get you there.
7. No shop in the hotel to get newspapers, magazines, sundries.
8. Water pressure in toilet was a bit weak (at least on the 22nd floor).

That adds up to quite a list, but these were all minor matters for me. I did like the hotel and the staff and would recommend it.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jun 27, 2009 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
5. No upgrade to a better room as a Hilton Gold. It's not something I have any right to expect, but still worth noting.
I think SPG members can live with this one
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:50 pm

Just came back from there, and had a terrific experience. Great room ameneties such as a huge tub, separate shower, integrated sound system, and top notch service, tons of bottled water.

Enjoyed the buffet breakfast; lots of food options ranging from your typical continental choices to what I would suppose are more traditional Thai foods. The atmosphere is fantastic with the sun light coming in from the glass atrium.

The staff is both extremely helpful and friendly and I'd like to especially say thanks to the Torisorn who is one of the concierge employees. The guy was able to set me up with whatever I was looking for; fishing at Bungsamlan, a trek to Chiang Mai, best restaurants to visit, etc. He is definitely a wealth of information, very friendly, great english and efficient.

The location for me was not too much of a problem. It's an easy 5 minute walk, if that, to the skytrain. One might get annoyed with all the people asking if you want boom boom while making the walk, but I found it a bit humorous. I think the more annoying thing about the location is it does not seem that any cab driver knows where the hotel is, though once you get your bearings of the area, then you just tell them Patpong and direct them from there.

The gym is standard hotel gym - a few free weights, a couple of machines and better than average cardio machines.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There are lot of promos that are only promoted here in Thailand. Right now they have a promo at the LM's Bamboo Chic restaurant where one gets free night at the LM Chiang Mai by spending 3000 THB after 9PM and by paying with one local credit/debit card.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Recent Stay at LM

Just completed a 3 nite stay in late June. As Plat was upgraded to Adventec suite. Room was nice and large, overlooking a temple. The room has pretty much everything you need, including an expresso machine, large washroom, with a large shower room.

Service was excellent. i found the service level to be top level. I would say the level of service was near the top of any hotel I had ever been to.

Plat benefits were choice of points or local amenity. I think one of the local amenity is the LM bear or some spa accessory. Anyhow, they gave my daughter the LM bear and me the points.

Breakfast was excellent. I understand breakfast is a Plat benefit, but my rate included breakfast. Plat are also entitled to a couple of hours in the early evening at Bamboo Chic. As I was with my daughter, never had the opportunity to take advantage of this benefit. Though the lounge did look pretty cool.

I would highly recommend this hotel. I did not mind the area even though it is right next to the patpong nite market. I found the location relatively convenient for tourist purposes.

I just got back from a three week Asia holiday and will post reviews of other starwood hotels i stayed at during the trip.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:58 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jjbc
I understand breakfast is a Plat benefit, but my rate included breakfast.
Breakfast is not a plat benefit - though perhaps you are saying that this hotel is routinely offering it to plats? That would be good to know.

Thanks for an excellent report on what sounds like a good stay.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
some of the reviews mentioned that the suites have dvd players ? what about the other rooms (in event i don't get upgraded) ? any idea about ipod connectivity ?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:02 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Breakfast is not a plat benefit - though perhaps you are saying that this hotel is routinely offering it to plats? That would be good to know.

Thanks for an excellent report on what sounds like a good stay.
At this property, like all in Thailand, as far as I know, breakfast is offered to platinum guests. As per my review lower in this thread the benefits offered at le Meridien, copied from the hotel's printed collateral, are:

- Upgrade to Avantec Suite, if available
- Breakfast at Latest Recipe
- Creative hour cocktails (2 hours – 1730-1930) at Bamboo Chic (anything off the excellent cocktail menu plus wine and beer, excluding French champagnes. Platinum guests are allowed in 30 mins before the regular opening time of 1800.
- Snacks (last night was freeze-dried okra is middle eastern spices) plus a taster plate of dim sum and sushi with the cocktails
- 2 pieces of pressing on arrival
- 4.00pm check-out
- Free internet
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by meremale
some of the reviews mentioned that the suites have dvd players ? what about the other rooms (in event i don't get upgraded) ? any idea about ipod connectivity ?
I can only speak for Avantec Suite, but it has a DVD player in the bedroom + a 42" LCD TV (plus a similar 42" LCD in the living room)

At the desk, there is a high-tech panel built in that has VGA and other audio connectivity, plus Ethernet. I didn't see an actual iPod dock, but if you bring a mini Y to RCA cable you'll be good.

As mentioned before, internet (wifi or wired) is free for plats, but I found it to be a bit slow at times.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by holtju2
There are lot of promos that are only promoted here in Thailand. Right now they have a promo at the LM's Bamboo Chic restaurant where one gets free night at the LM Chiang Mai by spending 3000 THB after 9PM and by paying with one local credit/debit card.
How does one become aware of these promos?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Andie007
It's really one of the most impressive Le Meridiens I've stayed worldwide.
Superb service, superb hotel, superb stlye...

Moreover, the staff + management always threats you perfect
Thanks again to Jee Hoong for the treatment.

Andreas

PS: It's now on #1 as Bangkok Hotel at tripadvisor.com
+1
I stayed there last night on a Cash and Points rate and got a suite upgrade, the service was spectacular.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This is an image of the taxi card from the Le Meridien Bangkok. It has the hotel details in English and Thai making it easy to hand to a taxi driver when trying to reach the hotel. While the hotel gives them out it may be beneficial to have one with you when you are getting a taxi from the airport at the start of your stay.

Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:55 am

I am currently staying here, redeeming my last free weekend award. I was to stay one more night at SGS, but found the hotel to be too old world for my taste. Luckily I was able to cancel and switched my last night to LM.

It's my 2nd stay here. I love (almost) everything about this hotel. Service is top notch, room gorgeous (got upgraded to the 1BR Suite again), breakfast fantastic and F&B delicious (finally tried Bamboo Chic for dinner this evening). The locker room could've benefited from a hot tub or sauna/steam room, but my biggest pet peeve is the internet access speed. It is painfully slow and it goes in/out constantly.

This is a great hotel for Plat to stay. Even though if a suite upgrade is not available, one still can enjoy the free breakfast, internet, cocktails and 2 piece pressing.

Out of all Starwood properties in Bangkok, this is the one I would strongly recommend.

PS: The Suite's toiletries were Cinq Mondes when I was here last (no more Hermes), but for today's stay they were the regular guestroom's toiletries.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I posted on the PA master thread but I will declare that the LM BKK is the best (city) hotel I've stayed in to date - I'll provide a detailed review in due course but from arrival to departure, this property is super duperly hot!! (much better than the W Hong Kong too imo)!!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:35 am

I agree with the excellent reviews posted above for this hotel.

I am currently staying for my second time this week.

Check in was extremely friendly and relatively efficient... Door staff very helpful polite and quick to bring the bags.

Upgraded to 1 bed suite (is it called avantec or something?) both stays - great rooms, spacious and modern as you'd expect for a new hotel, with a thai twist. Reminds me of the Westin Chaoyang Beijing.

Personally I love the location as I'm a (mostly) leisure traveller and the nightlife of the patpong district (and silom soi 4/2) I find exciting and fun!

Bamboo chic is very chic indeed and the quality of the nibbles provided are far superior to most exec clubs. In my case sushi, octopus salad and something else which escapes me.

Hand written notes from whom I assume to be the GM are included at check in - nice touch.

LOVE this property! Favourite SPG property at present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.