Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: most of them
Not to derail this particular discussion, but has anyone had much luck negotiating with this property for free perks? I am a basic SPG member with no status at all. I would like to stay at LM on the pay for 2, 3rd night is free promo. But this rate program does not include breakfast or internet. Actually i really only need two nights plus a very late check out (8PM-ish) rather than a full third night but I recognize that a check out this late incurs an extra night charge pretty much everywhere. I usually stay at Siri Sathorn which I like very much, but wanted to spend a couple of nights at LM on this trip. SS includes breakfast and internet in their room rates which are a good bit less expensive on advanced reservations than LMs rate. So, if I ask LM to throw in breakfast and internet what are the chances they would be willing to do that to win my business? The stay will be early Nov, so the start of "high season". But I figure it can't hurt to ask them... With so much competition in that part of the city I am thinking they may be flexible.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Not to derail this particular discussion, but has anyone had much luck negotiating with this property for free perks? I am a basic SPG member with no status at all. I would like to stay at LM on the pay for 2, 3rd night is free promo. But this rate program does not include breakfast or internet. Actually i really only need two nights plus a very late check out (8PM-ish) rather than a full third night but I recognize that a check out this late incurs an extra night charge pretty much everywhere. I usually stay at Siri Sathorn which I like very much, but wanted to spend a couple of nights at LM on this trip. SS includes breakfast and internet in their room rates which are a good bit less expensive on advanced reservations than LMs rate. So, if I ask LM to throw in breakfast and internet what are the chances they would be willing to do that to win my business? The stay will be early Nov, so the start of "high season". But I figure it can't hurt to ask them... With so much competition in that part of the city I am thinking they may be flexible.
I have had zero luck in negotiating with this property. Very difficult earlier this year with late check-out, even though the hotel was empty. Had to pay.

Asked them about a decent rate far a suite that was not fully prepaid and non-refundable for next month. Got absolutely no where. They lost my business...I booked suites with lots of extra perks at The Sukhothai and Shangri-La (Krungthep Wing) for far less the LM was asking...Both of which are true 5* hotels. I consider LM to be a very nice 4.5*.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Not to derail this particular discussion, but has anyone had much luck negotiating with this property for free perks? I am a basic SPG member with no status at all.
I did negotiate with them prior to my only stay, in January. They were very accommodating. I would assume that it has to do with PLT status, -- PLT recognition there is among the best I have experienced. FT Postings confirm that others have had the same experience. After all, that is what SPG is supposed to be about, no? Identify and be nice to your best customers.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I have had zero luck in negotiating with this property. Very difficult earlier this year with late check-out, even though the hotel was empty. Had to pay.

Asked them about a decent rate far a suite that was not fully prepaid and non-refundable for next month. Got absolutely no where. They lost my business...I booked suites with lots of extra perks at The Sukhothai and Shangri-La (Krungthep Wing) for far less the LM was asking...Both of which are true 5* hotels. I consider LM to be a very nice 4.5*.
You were correct, that had no interest in dealing with me. "That rate is already too cheap" seemed to be the gist of their response. So it is back to the Siri Sathorn for me. I guess they are getting plenty of business at the LM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just finished up a great one night stay here again. I'm batting much better getting suites here this year. I still however get frustrated about some of the lighting and switches, which I can appreciate and like, but it was like a lighting engineer was challenged to make a schematic that was too complicated. The 2 hour bamboo chic drinks and sushi is a nice touch for plats. Too bad I don't drink alcohol to take full advantage of it.

This property took in a box I had delivered ahead of my stay and facilitated it's delivery. Was very impressed with their service.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
My experience is this property tends to hew more "by the book" -- so I haven't been very successful in negotiating. However once I prepaid a night and wanted to convert it later as part of a Z3R. The front desk wouldn't do it, but when I emailed their reservations department it was allowed - so you may want to try email ([email protected]).

Last stay I wanted to extend my Plat checkout from 4pm to 6pm and was willing to pay something or give a reasonable # of points up for 2 extra hours, but they wouldn't do it unless I paid 3,000 Starpoints! For reference, 1 night cash and points is 2,800 Starpoints + $45. And the hotel was half-empty.

The advantage of "by the book" is they take Plat upgrades seriously and make their best effort to make it happen.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
Don't ask concierge about suits or jewelry

One tip for this property: don't ask the concierge about suits or jewelry locations because you'll be sent to places where there is a significant markup that goes right into the pockets of the concierge -- I was pretty surprised when I learned how much the concierges here make off these recommendations. And it ties the hands of the tailors or jewelers to offer you discounts. I'm assuming this is pretty similar across other hotels in Thailand.

At least for suits and tailored clothes, after trying many locations, the absolute best I found was Saville Row inside the Rose Hotel that is right next to the Le Meridien. The quality for price and service here is incredible. Just give yourself a little extra time for them to make adjustments on the finished products as I've seen the cutters in Bangkok rush a little and don't always get it right on the first attempt.

Someone else will have to chime in about jewelry -- not my area of expertise!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:23 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I stayed here again earlier this month. Once again, it's hard to find fault with the Le Meridien Bangkok. My booking was a short notice Cash & Points reservation. At check-in (quite late at night) I was welcomed and told that I was upgraded to the room with the round beds.

This is a good time to stop and point out just how excellent the Platinum treatment is here. This hotel provides an upgrade to the best available room, REALLY. It's not just talk. It's been documented here that the 'Avantec' rooms with the round bed are considered a higher category, and that they prefer to sell these rooms, not upgrade people to them. BUT, in my case, I'm guessing a suite wasn't available. So what did they do? They put me in the higher category room anyway. BRAVO! These properties deserve to be mentioned for great work with Plat upgrades!

The room was good. Service fine. Like I said, I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel (except for the blaring cricket and galloping horse music in the elevator and lobby areas).

The breakfast this time around was improved. Both on the seating side and the food side, service was plentiful and improved. I was offered an internet code by the foreign manager, but declined it as my room login was sufficient.

In previous posts, I've commented on breakfast. I wanted a breakfast and not a bistro. Well, I got both this time, which is just fine by me.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel (except for the blaring cricket and galloping horse music in the elevator and lobby areas).
This actually is one of my favorite things about this hotel
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:15 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Well, perhaps you're not spending 20 - 30 nights per year in these hotels. It gets mighty tiring after the first week.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:12 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I did negotiate with them prior to my only stay, in January. They were very accommodating. I would assume that it has to do with PLT status, -- PLT recognition there is among the best I have experienced. FT Postings confirm that others have had the same experience. After all, that is what SPG is supposed to be about, no? Identify and be nice to your best customers.
Dr H,

Maybe it because you stayed for 17 nights?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Well, perhaps you're not spending 20 - 30 nights per year in these hotels. It gets mighty tiring after the first week.
20 - 30 nights? Lightweight!

My disdain for the LeM Soundscape is well documented and hasn't changed.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by yosithezet
20 - 30 nights? Lightweight!

My disdain for the LeM Soundscape is well documented and hasn't changed.
You won't hear any complaints just the sound of crickets from me.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I have an upcoming itineary with an overnight in BKK, with arrival around 4pm and taking off next morning at 7am. Currently have a reservation at the Le Meridien. The question is whether it make sense for me to go into the city for one night, or should I just stay at the airport Novotel?

Also, how easy is it to get a taxi or car service back to the airport from LM?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I have an upcoming itineary with an overnight in BKK, with arrival around 4pm and taking off next morning at 7am. Currently have a reservation at the Le Meridien. The question is whether it make sense for me to go into the city for one night, or should I just stay at the airport Novotel?

Also, how easy is it to get a taxi or car service back to the airport from LM?
Since you arrive early enough, I would stay in Bangkok. The hotels are better plus there's more and better dining options. There should be no problem getting limo or taxi from the hotel to BKK no matter what time of day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.