Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Curious if anyone has any observations on "monitoring" SNAs at this hotel? I have SNAs pending for a stay next month and have periodically been checking suite cash booking availability to try to get a sense of my chances of clearing.

There's been a lot of up-and-down movement in availability, with the search frequently showing no suites available, only to have suites show as available days or weeks later. Sometimes when suites are available they only show up under a special suite package and not for a flexible rate; other times they show up on all rates.

Any idea if this is likely to reflect true changes in inventory, or perhaps does the website sometimes/frequently not show the true extent of suite availability at this hotel?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

To respond to my own questions in previous posts:

My SNA did end up clearing, which was nice. No idea what was going on with availability in the run-up, but the website did show 1 suite available before my SNA IIRC and then none afterwards, so glad I made the SNA request.

Club food offering is pretty good, not a full restaurant meal and not up to the standards of many Asian properties (including the Middle East) but pretty good for a non-Asian hotel club lounge. Breakfast included a few hot items -- scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, etc. -- cold cuts, smoked salmon, cheeses, yogurts, breads, etc. No pancakes/waffles that I recall and not a huge variety but otherwise I'd call this as good as a small-scale restaurant breakfast buffet. And Club staff were excellent.

Suite was good, exactly the same as I remember from last time I had one 6 years ago. One major annoyance was the complete absence of power outlets near the bed. Not sure if the regular rooms are different in this regard but the only accessible outlet in the bedroom that we could find was on the other side of the room on a random spot on the wall. Hotel could really use some attention to this, for example at the very least buying some bedside lamps with built-in power plugs (or even just USB plugs).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:22 pm

We have 5 nights booked for family of 5 as part of graduation gift for my daughters next June. Currently SPG Gold but would like to get club access. Can I secure access club access with additional points or do I need to get platinum status to get club access? Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:33 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
We have 5 nights booked for family of 5 as part of graduation gift for my daughters next June. Currently SPG Gold but would like to get club access. Can I secure access club access with additional points or do I need to get platinum status to get club access? Thanks
Only direct way to get it with points is to use points to book a suite, which requires twice as many points as a regular room. The suites are spacious but unless you're very rich with Starpoints, probably not worth it.

You could also contact the hotel and ask if there is a cash buy-up to a club room on top of your (I assume) points booking. Most likely would be the difference in cash price between a standard room and a club room for your dates.

Not sure how many rooms you have but note that club access is for 2 people per room, there may be an additional fee if you need it for a third person (assuming you have two rooms).
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Only direct way to get it with points is to use points to book a suite, which requires twice as many points as a regular room. The suites are spacious but unless you're very rich with Starpoints, probably not worth it.

You could also contact the hotel and ask if there is a cash buy-up to a club room on top of your (I assume) points booking. Most likely would be the difference in cash price between a standard room and a club room for your dates.

Not sure how many rooms you have but note that club access is for 2 people per room, there may be an additional fee if you need it for a third person (assuming you have two rooms).
thanks. I have two rooms with two in one and 3 in the other; the third person is a child (13) if that makes a difference. Looks like I need to book some Marriot meetings. Need 30 nights there to get Marriott platinum to match to SPG and I can find meeting space for $100 per meeting which gives me 10 nights per meeting event. The $300 spent for meeting space would probably be less than what it would cost for breakfast for the 5 of us for 5 days and less than the room differential.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

thanks. I have two rooms with two in one and 3 in the other; the third person is a child (13) if that makes a difference. Looks like I need to book some Marriot meetings. Need 30 nights there to get Marriott platinum to match to SPG and I can find meeting space for $100 per meeting which gives me 10 nights per meeting event. The $300 spent for meeting space would probably be less than what it would cost for breakfast for the 5 of us for 5 days and less than the room differential.
I'm also not sure if you're guaranteed club access for the second room. I think technically a Platinum booking multiple rooms is only guaranteed an upgrade and associated benefits on one room, and possibly the hotel may extend you the courtesy to a second room but aren't required to. Maybe others can provide better data on that.

Really the club is nice but not sure it's worth a tremendous amount of extra effort for it. There are plenty of restaurants and grab-and-go food places nearby the hotel where you could also get breakfast. But up to you.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by bgriff
I'm also not sure if you're guaranteed club access for the second room. I think technically a Platinum booking multiple rooms is only guaranteed an upgrade and associated benefits on one room, and possibly the hotel may extend you the courtesy to a second room but aren't required to. Maybe others can provide better data on that.

I am Plat and booked two rooms. They would only extend Club access to the one room.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sonomawine
I am Plat and booked two rooms. They would only extend Club access to the one room.
that's discouraging but thanks for the data point.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:27 pm

that's discouraging but thanks for the data point.
I'm sure any extra generosity would also be affected by how busy they are when you are there. It's a nice lounge/breakfast and in my opinion worth an extra effort to get access. But the best advice I can give you is to keep your expectations in check. There are also many food court and other breakfast options practically next door and around the corner.

Cheers,
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:56 pm
MKB

Undisclosed credit-card surcharge added on pre-paid booking

I had to fight at check-out at the Westin Sydney to get an undisclosed credit-card surcharge removed from my account.

My email booking confirmation showed:

Your prepaid deposit cannot be refunded, even if your new room rate total is lower. AUD 299.25 deposit is due on Sat, Dec 3, 2016 and will be charged to the credit card provided.
In fact, on 4 December, a charge of AUD 307.93 was made to my SPG Amex. I cannot find any reference in the booking process or on the hotel's webpage to the fact that a credit-card surcharge will be applied.

The hotel reluctantly agreed to refund the fee, but indicated that it was not a mistake and was their standard practice.

Surely it is not legal to charge my credit card with a different rate from the one that I have authorised?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:56 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MKB
I had to fight at check-out at the Westin Sydney to get an undisclosed credit-card surcharge removed from my account.

My email booking confirmation showed:

In fact, on 4 December, a charge of AUD 307.93 was made to my SPG Amex. I cannot find any reference in the booking process or on the hotel's webpage to the fact that a credit-card surcharge will be applied.

The hotel reluctantly agreed to refund the fee, but indicated that it was not a mistake and was their standard practice.

Surely it is not legal to charge my credit card with a different rate from the one that I have authorised?
Interesting. While most hotels now charge a cc surcharge there is nothing in the room rate details or even the hotel announcement page indicating the charge.

Checked SOTP and it was the same.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:02 am
MKB

My stay was part of a two-week trip Australia (mainly Tasmania), and the only places where I encountered the cc surcharge were a one-night stay at the Westin Sydney and a one-night stay at the Sheraton Melbourne.

The only indications of the charge come AFTER booking. The email confirmation says:

All payments made with an Australian credit card must be confirmed via PIN number, signatures will not be accepted. The following credit card fees apply and will be charged at the time of transaction. Visa credit/debit: 1.1%, MasterCard credit/debit: 0.8%, Amex, Diners and JCB 2.9%.
That is written as a single paragraph rather than two, so tends to suggest that the content relates to Australian credit cards only, and that is reinforced by the subsequent text showing the amount that will actually be charged (to my UK credit card) is an amount that excludes the cc fee.

I understand that the check-in form also includes a reference to the cc fees buried in several paragraphs of text, printed in a very tiny point-size. Of course, on a prepaid rate, telling you about the cc fee after you've paid is not helpful.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:57 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
They need to update their booking process.

Hyatt announces it during the booking process as well as in the email confirmation.

*wood, Hyatt and Hilton as well as most hotel chains now do this because they legally can according to the Reserve Bank.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:13 pm

If you have the AMEX SPG Business card, you get lounge access complementary at Sheraton locations. The Sheraton Sydney on points with free lounge access, might be worth considering.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Disappointing stay for leisure travelers--in serious need for refurbishment

The Westin Sydney

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

The Westin Sydney

159 Pitt Street Sydney, NW AU 2000

Disappointing stay for leisure travelers--in serious need for refurbishment (11 Photos)

The Westin Sydney

I brought my mother with me to Australia to celebrate her upcoming 70th birthday and a slightly early Mother's Day. We started with a 4 night stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney, followed by a 4 night stay at The Louise in the Barossa Valley, and ended with 2 nights at the Westin Sydney.

My mother and husband only stayed 1 night at the Westin Sydney, while I remained for 2 nights. As this trip was for leisure, we used 12K SPG points for each of our room nights. 

Check In

Check in took a long time...and turned into a bit of a mess. My mother's room was checked in pretty quickly, though the front desk agent seemed uncertain as to which room was hers and which was mine and my husband's (despite my Ambassador clearly having already added our names to the reservations). Eventually, my mother got her key and we sent her on her way.

My room took much longer--because somehow they had me in a connecting room to my mother's room. That was neither requested by me nor should have been organized by the hotel, since I already had requested an upgrade for my room through my Ambassador. Since the staff has such trouble deciding which room was my mother's, and since my Ambassador never lets me down, I knew it was poor hotel staffing and management which resulted in this error. The hotel was sold out...but the error clearly has been made in advance.

After quite a while on the phone, the front desk agent told us we had been assigned a Tower premium upgraded room on the 16th floor. I was pleased and we took our key and up we went--to discover a room with 2 double beds. Now I was pissed.

After several calls through Guest Services, and terrible comprehension for both calls, and a trip to the front desk and dealing with 2 managers, we finally got to our final upgraded Tower Premium room 2204. We had been here for over an hour at this point. TERRIBLE CHECK IN.

Room

Our room was pretty much a standard room, just on a higher floor. Superior tower rooms (like my mother's) are floors 3-7. Deluxe tower rooms are floors 8-13. Premium tower rooms (like ours) are floors 14-27. 

20170511_140046.jpg

The bathroom:

20170511_140114.jpg

Single vanity bathrooms are largely unacceptale for any reasonable upgraded room at a premium hotel--the first sign of a drastic need for refurbishment.

20170511_140203.jpg

20170511_140135.jpg

The glass wall near the door to the toilet room was a hazard--one that I constantly bumped into when lighting was on, and almost killed myself a few times in the middle of the night. Definitely something needing to be resolved during refurbishment!

20170511_140138.jpg

From the tub you could see into the bedroom area, unless you lowered the blind--a slightly odd arrangement, but one that mimics what we had with the sliding door in our room at the Park Hyatt.

20170511_140156.jpg

20170511_140245.jpg

20170511_140304.jpg

The lack of plugs--and their density, not allowing adapters for more than 1 adapter--was another serious problem. These 2 plugs were the only ones in the bedroom area!

20170511_140316.jpg

No plugs on either side of the bed? A tragedy...and the manager admitted as much. So why did they not put extension cords with extra plugs in every room as they did for me (see above) upon my request? Bad management or cheap ownership.

The manager did admit they were planning to address those issues on refurbishment, but didn't say when that would be.

The view was not bad:

20170512_063608.jpg

20170512_063614.jpg

My biggest problem with the room aside from the lack of plugs was the air conditioning. It turned off whenever you left the room. See service.

Service

Service was a problem throughout my stay. Aside from the obvious screw-up with check in and room assignment for my room, I encountered language and other service problems.

The manager who checked me into the proper room was definitely trying to be helpful. But he wasn't always available--even as he asked me to always ask for him. 

The Guest Services line had various female agents, not a single one of which was able to properly understand me. I had to repeat myself several times for every single call, no matter what they request. Whether it was housekeeping, room service, a call for adapters, a call to maintenance for air conditioning, it didn't matter. There is a serious English language issue for the hotel. 

Everyone on staff seemed to be Asian--which is fine by me. I do live in California! But it's an American brand for an American company in an English speaking nation. I understand that the clientele may be Chinese now. But there should be some reasonable English proficiency for Guest Services at least. That was not the case at all.

The manager was present to help fix the air conditioning problem--turning off whenever I left the room. He had an engineer meet us in the room. They told me it would stay on after we left. On our first night returning, it was off. I called them again. They said they fixed it. On my second night returning, it was off again. As I was leaving the next morning, i didn't bother again. Since I wouldn't return anyway.

Dining

Food and beverage, on the other hand, were outstanding. I ordered room service breakfast on my first morning, and room service lunch on that same day. Both were delivered promptly and correctly...and the food was great.

We also all had dinner with a Sydney friend in the nearby Intermezzo Italian restaurant located just outside the hotel in the adjoining indoor mall. Very convenient.

Location was fine! Right in the middle of the CBD. A very easy 20-25 minute drive (without much traffic) to the Sydney airport.

Overall

Overall, I expected much more from a Westin. I do believe I would never stay here again--opting instead for the Sheraton on the Park or one of the Marriott properties. Or the Park Hyatt if I had the points! The service letdowns were constant, the lack of plugs by the bedside a tragedy, and the language issues a constant source of irritation. 

Disappointing stay for leisure travelers--in serious need for refurbishment

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Sydney?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.