Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood and Wifi or free internet? Your Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood and Wifi or free internet? Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:06 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I would like to have a bucket of fifties delivered to my desk every day I log into Flyertalk. Why do you think I can't get that? After all, I'm a Flyertalk Evangelist and have been doing this for the last eight years.

Sorry for the joke, but as long as this is a revenue source for hotels, I don't think they are going to go for SPG handing out free internet service to anyone, regardless of their status.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:13 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I would like to have a bucket of fifties delivered to my desk every day I log into Flyertalk. Why do you think I can't get that? After all, I'm a Flyertalk Evangelist and have been doing this for the last eight years.

Sorry for the joke, but as long as this is a revenue source for hotels, I don't think they are going to go for SPG handing out free internet service to anyone, regardless of their status.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
The problem is that the competition IS providing free internet.

Has any decision been made on free internet in the Aloft properties?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Vulcan
aloft does offer free internet as my reservation detail reads:

Aloft Non-smoking, Aloft R And R Bed, 42 Inch Flat Screen Lcd Tv, Free Highspeed Internet Access, Oversized Shower
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:32 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level

Not all of the competition is. I don't get around much to our competitors, but I do live vicariously through your (FT'ers) experiences there. Those do not seem to indicate an industry-wide change to free internet at upscale properties from what I read.

Free internet will be a brand standard for both the aloft and element brands in North America when they launch. We will have to see if that standard is developed for these same brands in other divisions as these two brands unfold.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe instead a partnership with someone like Wayport/Boingo where we can make an annual subscription would be a more reasonable request?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I'd also like to point out that many Starwood hotels offer free internet in their lobby.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
What competitors? Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by heffa
What competitors? Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt?
I wonder if he means certain brands withing the Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt umbrella's offer free internet??
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I wonder if he means certain brands withing the Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt umbrella's offer free internet??
Or possibly the fact that HHonors members, for example, can choose free HSIA as a perk depending on the what their My Way preferences are for each chain within the Hilton line.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
We can put all we want on our wish list, but Santa is only going to bring some of it.....and so are the hotels.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I'd also like to point out that many Starwood hotels offer free internet in their lobby.
This is actually one of my pet peeves: Hotels that charge their paying guests for Internet access in their room, yet offer the same thing for free in the lobby to anybody walking in off the street! I know why they do it (because they can), but it just seems strange to charge customers for something you're giving away free to everybody else....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I would like to have a bucket of fifties delivered to my desk every day I log into Flyertalk. Why do you think I can't get that? After all, I'm a Flyertalk Evangelist and have been doing this for the last eight years. [/email]
This is the best start to an answer in many posts. Make mine a bucket of Benjamins.

We would all like more of everything, at lower rates. Priorities, gentlemen. How many times have we been surveyed on this stuff? It's not as if Starwood isn't paying attention.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mikew99
This is actually one of my pet peeves: Hotels that charge their paying guests for Internet access in their room, yet offer the same thing for free in the lobby to anybody walking in off the street! I know why they do it (because they can), but it just seems strange to charge customers for something you're giving away free to everybody else....
Just like they charge for phone calls, although everyone has a cell phone, right?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: 3 million miles LIFETIME PLT AADVANTAGE/LIFETIME SPG PLT!! 25 years member /PRESIDENT'S CLUB HERTZ
Dear Martinsu....

You are right about going to club when of course the club is open on weekends...I am off to the Sheraton NYC TOWERS this weekend and for the past 2 years they have been closing the club floor.....
then no breakfast and no appetizers and no web....

I have been a customer of this property for over 14 years and I do get breakfast coupon for the restaurant downstairs..

When I do go to an hotel I really want to enjoy my room or suite and use the dsl.... and By the way don t you think wireless DSL will be a great addition at Westin .W...Sheraton.....A lot of Four points have already wireless dsl....and all free...why only Four points....
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: 3 million miles LIFETIME PLT AADVANTAGE/LIFETIME SPG PLT!! 25 years member /PRESIDENT'S CLUB HERTZ
Do a partnership with ATT like the new contract ATT got with Starbucks in the USA to replace the stupid Tmobile company....

Now ATT customer will be able to use free internet from any starbucks or if you are not ATT and you buy something you will get a 2 hours free dsl....

even Mc Donald's give you free dls ....Come on Mr Starwood CEO
give us our free dls at least for every PLATINUM PREFERRED we are you bread and butter......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.