Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Austin at the Domain, Austin, TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by LakersFan_2008
Love the Westin Austin at the Domain. My favorite non-boutique hotel in Austin. Staff is incredibly friendly and will bend over backwards to assist you. Rooms are pretty standard, but nice and new (opened in March 2010). Gym is nice, as is the pool (usually pretty empty). Urban Restaurant serves decent dinner foods. And the Domain shopping area is very nice. Lots of good restaurants to choose from.
Agree with all of the above..

Had a stay last night and the parking is terrible. Since the Hotel is on the backside of the Domain Town Center most of the parking lot was taken up by non hotel guests. I had to squeeze my car a good distance from the hotel into a Compact Car parking spot. I know the parking lot wasn't full of hotel guests because I left at 6am and the hotel parking lots were less than half full.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG plat, SWA-list+
Three night stay 2 weeks ago. Very nice westin. Gym is pretty good. Restaurant was great - took a long time but chef came out and apologized and brought a complimentary bowl of soup. Was put on "executive level" floor - no idea what this means, room was standard but still very nice.

They were having water issues that week - I emailed the GM to let him know and he responded almost immediately. Gave me full background on the problem and offered me points as an apology. Pretty amazing customer service.

Property is walkable to lots of good restaurants and shopping- I ate at CPK one night which was great.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I see this property has not received too much love on here yet, so I will add my $.02 (not redeemable for miles).

The entire staff at this location clearly has been well trained... I have never experienced a bad staff member, they literally bend over backwards to help you, and it has all the comforts that most business travelers like. Quick check in, valet if you need it, or free self park. Rooms are nice and new, good tvs, the bar staff is excellent.

Also, if you are a business traveler, and have a SET code, this hotel is a steal. I pay less here with my SET code than the Hampton Inn around the corner, and it is a far better value.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I stayed here for one night last weekend. No PLT upgrade -- "we sold all our suites instead of giving them away as upgrades." Hotel was full and as mentioned up-thread, the parking lot was packed -- arriving at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night I had to park near the back of the building.

The ''Traditional King Room" bath had a shower but no tub (I"m good with that but I realize it's an issue for others), and two bars of soap.

My key packet included two certificates for "coffee and one pastry." Per Starwood Lurker's post elsewhere:
Apparently, the ‘coffee and pastry’ certificate is something they have been giving to Platinum guests since before the new Continental breakfast choice came to be. It’s a benefit the hotel decided to do exceptionally since they do not have a club lounge. However, it is completely separate from the Welcome Amenities. As a welcome amenity, Platinum guests at this property get a choice of 500 Starpoints, full breakfast (as an exception) or the local gift.

Last edited by cawhite; Apr 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Just stayed here over the weekend. Check-in went smoothly, as other's have mentioned I was offered the full breakfast or PLT points, I took the points. I wasn't upgraded (all suites sold), but they did put me on the "preferred floor" with "preferred view", which was essentially a view of the large parking lot. I wouldn't expect this hotel to have a good view in any direction, though.

There was a dog "pawty" going on in the area, and this hotel seemed to be very dog friendly to it.

Rooms are clean - amenities are nice. I couldn't connect to the Wifi, which was odd, but I didn't stay in the room very long so I didn't care to troubleshoot. TV's are kind of small.

TL;DR: Decent price, easy / smooth checkin.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Checked in here tonight for a weekend stay. Using my 35% award redemption thing that was otherwise going to expire on 6/30. Once again, as with all previous stays at this property, I didn't get upgraded - at least not as far as I can tell. I probably was upgraded to an "executive room", but other than it being on a higher floor, who cares. I know suites are in short supply here, but I'm hoping to get lucky one of these times.

Looking forward to the upgraded buffet breakfast, though I was only given one chit per day which specifies it's for one breakfast only. Odd considering the reservation is for two people. I will ask about that in the morning.

Will continue to pick this property over the Sheraton every time.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Whoever said the parking situation here was bad, really underestimated it. I've never, ever seen a parking situation as bad as this hotel has. I drove around for 15 minutes, and eventually gave up and parked in the garage on the other side of Dick's Sporting Goods. This resulted in a nice 3-4 minute walk crossing two roads in 102 degree heat with a backpack and roller bag. Check in time is listed as 3PM. Walked in around 3:05PM (only because I had spent the 15 minutes driving around), I had used SNAs for my stay and they cleared at the five day in advance mark. However, room was not ready. I have never had this happen before, heck I showed up to a different SPG hotel at 6AM, and they had a room for me by 7 (I obviously do not expect this). I've never had a hotel stay where I knew I was never coming back before I even checked in. They may have switched my room (though not the type), as the room was somehow ready within ten minutes. Front desk offered to pay for valet, I declined as I would have to go back to the car in the heat, and surely tip the valet (I don't have a problem tipping a valet, but I did not intend to valet the car and I doubt the hotel would cover tipping their own employees, and in addition the valet parking looked quite full as well). I then got up to the room, nice room, lots of space. However, whoever had the room before me must have requested an extra town bed in the room, as the bed still remained in the room, upright, on a cart, next to the entry door.

I'll be writing the GM, I hate to sound like a DYKWIA, that isn't my intent. I even waited a bit before posting this so I could calm down. But this is the worst hotel stay I have had in a long time and it isn't even half an hour old yet. Front desk staff was good even though I was in an honestly bad mood (not an outwardly angry mood though, I'm not one to raise my voice or make a scene), they are very good. Took down my number but still came over in person as I was waiting in the lobby for the 5-10 minutes between being told my room was not ready and that it was ready. Just wanted to let people know, think long and hard, and I strongly suggest not to arrive on a Saturday to begin your stay, or feel confident about finding parking when you return if you leave for part of a Saturday.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 16, 2014 at 2:50 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I think if this is one of your worst hotel stays you should feel very lucky. I may have missed something but it seems like you had to wait ten minutes for your room, self parking was very full and the hotel offered you free valet, and there was a rollaway in your room. Theses issues all seem relatively minor.

I bet you had a platinum guest in your originally assigned room that requested guaranteed late checkout. So the room wasn't ready and it took them a few minutes to move you into another room where another guest who had requested a rollaway was previously assigned. Again a little annoying, but I don't think it should ruin an entire stay.

The parking can get tight but it's still nice that it's free. I will agree that it can be frustrating but I still prefer the option to have the free parking instead of them blocking a parking lot off and charging $10 for hotel only self parking.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the room is nice, but it has an eight inch in diameter wet spot directly in front of the television. Also, I cannot get the wifi to work despite multiple attempts on my computer to do so (using my phone for this). The stay is subpar, I'm a very relaxed person normally. I'm well aware that a prior guest in my originally assigned room likely stayed late, I'll be doing that myself at another hotel later on in this stay. The parking situation eased out as the night went on, I was able to head out for dinner and come back to available parking much closer to the hotel. The parking lot layout is horrendous, that is my issue. The spots are too thin, and it rendered at least 4 spots unusable as people could not properly park their cars. This is a design flaw. The hotel needs more parking, and complaints on that go back on this thread for years.

It isn't one thing, if any of these things had happened as the only negative, I would be ok with that. Every one is truly just an annoyance. The collection of them is the problem. I don't feel I'm being unreasonable in saying that the stay has fallen short of my reasonable expectations. I won't be back, and I recommend for anyone considering the hotel to take another look elsewhere before committing to this location.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Any recent stays here? Looking at a weekend stay in the coming weeks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I heard they do not have unlimited self parking and that you may have to, gasp, walk if you elect not to use valet parking and that your room may not be ready within 5 minutes of the official check in time and that these things combined with a roll away bed in your room will make it the absolute worst stay in the history of the world and that you will have to take out something out to prove how big you are...you know a plat card or something like that.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dingo
I heard they do not have unlimited self parking and that you may have to, gasp, walk if you elect not to use valet parking and that your room may not be ready within 5 minutes of the official check in time and that these things combined with a roll away bed in your room will make it the absolute worst stay in the history of the world and that you will have to take out something out to prove how big you are...you know a plat card or something like that.
Everything I said still holds. But sarcasm always makes for a more welcoming forum . I've had plenty of good hotel stays before here and since here, to know this property simply isn't up to par. And I did not make any attempt to broadcast anything about my status or self-importance or how big almost anything is. Go to the property, see just how tight the parking lines are, and tell me you think any differently about the parking situation in anything remotely resembling above average demand.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:16 pm

Any update with this property?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anchor79
Any update with this property?
Regarding what?

Regards
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:02 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone stayed here recently now that the hotel is almost 13 years old? I have an upcoming stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.