Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Myrtle Beach Conv. Center, SC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Myrtle Beach Conv. Center, SC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Arrow Sheraton Myrtle Beach Conv. Center, SC [Master Thread]

I think this is a fairly new property. Can anyone tell me about their stay? How close is the property (I know their website says 3 blks - so forgive if I question thier judgement of distance) to the beach? Any input would be nice to hear.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL GOLD
Stayed there last week.

Stay here because you have an even at the convention center. It certainly is not a beach hotel but it is walkable(long walkable). They are currently renovating floors. All in all a fine stay, but it was for a trade show.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: Avis Chairmans, National Executive, Spirit Elite, Virgin Silver, United Premier
Originally Posted by rwsatl
I think this is a fairly new property. Can anyone tell me about their stay? How close is the property (I know their website says 3 blks - so forgive if I question thier judgement of distance) to the beach? Any input would be nice to hear.
It isn't a new property. It used to belong to a different chain, and it changed ownership quite a few times in the past years, the last owner is the Sheraton.

It is about a 8 min. walk from the beach (one long block to the main "highway" and one short block to the beach).
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Nice enough hotel - we stayed here for a night on a vacation road trip last month. Good platinum recognition and they were very apologetic about 'only' being able to upgrade us to a Club Floor room.

I'm assuming we stayed on a renovated room, which was pretty spacious and nicely furnished. The club lounge was closed when we were there, so we got drinks vouchers, a voucher for a couple of bar snacks in the evening and breakfast in the morning.

As others have said, it would be a good 8-10 minute walk to the beach, but I'd happily stay at the hotel again if I was in the area again.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Thx for the info. Was parking free at this property?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Parking was free when I stayed there.

(It used to be a Radisson btw).
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Trip Report: Sheraton Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

The Sheraton Myrtle Beach is located next to the convention center. While walkable to the touristy beach area, it's still quite far. Here's a pic I took from my balcony to give you an idea: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkindonuts/2675696293/

Parking
Parking is very confusing at this property. They offer both valet and self park. Self park is free. However, guests must use their room keys to access the gate. When checking in, there are some temporary parking spots inside the structure but before the gate. However, they were completely full when we arrived, so my friend had to park at the entrance while I went in to check in and retrieve out room keys.

Check in
Due to a convention, the hotel was completely sold out on my arrival night. I figured my chances of scoring a suite upgrade was slim to none. However, I was still pre-blocked into a club room with ocean view, which was quite nice. We arrived at the hotel a bit later than expected, at 2am. The guest experience manager warmly greeted me. He was very friendly and accommodating. He told me about the club lounge and other amenities the hotel offered. He actually went through a list of all the suite to try to find me one. Unfortunately, since I checked in so late, all of them were taken. He offered to move me to a suite the follow day, which I gladly accepted. He, however, failed to offer my platinum amenity. It was so late anyway I didn't really care. When we entered our room, it was fine. It was your standard typical Sheraton room. The bed was turned down with robe and chocolate.

The following morning when we went to lunch, I stopped by the front desk to see where they were moving us. The friendly agent told me that they had preblocked me into a corner suite with balcony on the top level. However, it wasn't ready, but I could alternatively take the suite on the 7th floor. I told her I'd wait and she told me she would move our bags for us.

When we returned from lunch, our suite was ready, and the agent apologized for the inconvenience. She told me the club lounge was closed (I guess b/c of weekend?) but she would gave us breakfast vouchers at the restaurant. She ended up giving me 4 vouchers and told me to invite a couple of friends. That was nice. However, we ended up having to leave early the next day and didn't have time to eat.

Suite/room
It was a very spacious and comfortable suite. A nice foyer greeted us warmly when we entered the suite. To the left, there was a small window offering unobstructed view of the adjacent area. The foyer led to the master bedroom area with the Sweet Sleeper bed and a work area. There was an entertainment center with a TV, fridge, and a safe. On the other side of the suite resided a seating area with a pull out sofa. Next to it, there was a large balcony with chairs offering a gorgeous view of Myrtle Beach. We spent a lot of time on the balcony. It was very lovely.

There was a decent size bathroom with a jetted tub. It was very nice. We enjoyed the room. I saw the rack rate of the suite on the door to be $1000 per night. That made us wonder if what we had was the presidential suite

Internet
Wired internet access is complimentary on the top floor (SPG) and on the club floor (11th). Otherwise, there is a fee.

Restaurants
We didn't get to try the hotel restaurant but they did have a couple and a bar. However, there are plenty of options all over town.

Club Lounge
The club lounge was very nice. We went in to check it out even though it was closed. I think they usually serve afternoon snacks and breakfast on weekdays.

Overall
Overall, it was a very nice stay. The staff members tried very hard and were very friendly and accommodating (but then again, most people in the South are friendly). However, it was still a Sheraton. It fits perfectly into the category 3 level. I definitely wouldn't pay the $209/night rate they were asking during my stay, but would for about $109/night.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jul 17, 2008 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Bliss --

As ALWAYS, a wonderful and thorough review. Your pictures always greatly enhance the reviews. Thanks for taking the time to outline your experiences and observations.

I have to say that I find this location to be far less than ideal. MYR has certainly grown (well, sprawled is more like it) in lots of directions in the past two decades, but if I'm heading to MYR, my goal is to be at a resort type hotel ON THE BEACH. All that said, it must be acknowledged that the MYR Convention Center does pack in the crowds and I'm quite sure that's why the Sheraton is where it is.

Some of us semi-old-timers well remember the old Sheraton Myrtle Beach that was there through the 1970s and 1980s that went on to become a dreadful Four Points before being booted out of the *wood network. Well, at least it was ON the beachfront!

Last edited by sbtinme; Jul 17, 2008 at 4:04 pm
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:50 pm

Thank You once again for such a detailed report. This gives Flyer Talkers and insight on the hotels. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:30 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
My apologies for digging up an old topic, but could not find a Master Thread for this property. Has anyone stayed here recently?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Have a one night stay next week - as the poster above - any more recent stays?

Will report back with pics (now that I figured out how to post them).

FYI - $85/night + tax for next weekend is a great deal!

Last edited by singtx; Aug 24, 2010 at 9:17 am
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I have no first-hand experience with this hotel, but I did run across this previously on the hotel's MySpace blog. (Seriously? MySpace?)

***COUPON FOR OUR RESTAURANT***
ATTENTION ALL MYSPACE FRIENDS! PRINT THIS AD RECEIVE 15% OFF YOUR FOOD & BEVERAGE PURCHASE IN OUR VIDALIA'S RESTAURANT LOCATED ON THE 2ND FLOOR OF THE HOTEL. THIS EXCLUDES ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES & IN ROOM DINING.
ALSO
If you're an SPG member, show your card & receive the following
Gold & Platinum members
- receive 20% off your food & beverage purchase in our Vidalia's restaurant, located on the 2nd floor of the hotel.
Preferred & Preferred Plus members - receive 15% off your food & beverage purchase in our Vidalia's restaurant, located on the 2nd floor of the hotel.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Caution: It appears that a poorly-disclosed hotel-mandated "facilities fee" is in effect at this property.

3% surcharge + 0.18% surcharge tax (6% sales tax on the 3% surcharge)

This fee is not disclosed on the hotel's Announcements page.

It is mentioned on the Meetings & Events page of their privately branded website:

State and Local Taxes OR Taxes and Resort Fees
Sales Tax: 4%
Room Tax: 9% totaling 13%
Resort Fee: 3% facilities fees
This hotel is owned by the City of Myrtle Beach!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
Sitting at the Myrtle beach Sheraton as I type this.

Hotel has just finished a refurb of the Club floors and really has become a nice property.

I still hate walking through the parking garage and the internet is wired, not wireless but those are minor problems.

I have spent 7 nights here in the past 3 weeks. I am 100% on suite upgrades over the past 3 years with 14 out of 14 stays upgraded. 3 out of 3 this year.

Great view from the balcony over to the ocean and the staff is first rate.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:18 pm

No Upgrade for me... Only a Deluxe Room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.