Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kuala Lumpur: Which SPG Property? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuala Lumpur: Which SPG Property? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PremExec,AAmm,*wood Plat, Hilt DVIP
Arrow Kuala Lumpur: Which SPG Property? [Master Thread]

I'd appreciate input regarding which property a platinum might expect to be consistently upgraded.

My searches didn't yield any direct comparisons. Not many recent comments. I plan on being there several nights.

Do the property locations lend themselves to moving every night?

Thanks for the input.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:59 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
The Sheraton Imperial has almost completed a hotel-wide renovation, and is good at Platinum recognition. You will have access to the Executive lounge, with complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails, plus other benefits. I nearly always score a suite there.

The newer Le Meridien at KL Sentral (a little out from downtown, but well connected by monorail and LRT) also has excellent Platinum recognition (essentially the same as the Sheraton).

I've not had experience at the Westin, so won't comment.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
When I come in late eve on a plane for next day meetings, I stay at the LM. It's nice and modern and allows the quickest airport to seat at bar with a drink scenario due to the fast train. Generally a good upgrade, rooms are new/clean so nothing to complain about.
Sacreligious I know, but I stayed at the MO this week and the service there is TOP notch! Rooms werent really better than the LM, but the service was slick.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I am currently at the Westin, it's quite nice and still very polished and perfectly new, the Breakfast and Cocktails at the Club are really excellent (as good or better than Westin Sydney) and apparently they upgrade to the Executive apartments which are quite spacious. SPG50 is great for good rates here.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Le Meridien

I have stayed at the LM twice in last three months and have been upgraded to a suite both times as a Platinum. Given connectivity to the airport, this is the best location in my opinion
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PremExec,AAmm,*wood Plat, Hilt DVIP
Thanks for your input!

Sounds like I can't go wrong at any property here. Looks like we'll attempt a move per night over 5 nights to bulk up on stays for next year! Thanks again
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Gold ex DM, Marriott and Hilton Gold
the Westin KL is a great property. The location can't be beat!! right on Bukit Bintang...

back when I used to be a platinum, and I stayed there, they were pretty good about upgrading to a suite... even as a gold, they did upgrade to a corner room with a view of the petronas towers and included free breakfast even on a cash & points stay.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xxdboixx
the Westin KL ... even as a gold, they did upgrade to a corner room with a view of the petronas towers and included free breakfast even on a cash & points stay.
Thats quite unusual.

I agree the Westin has the best location. Construction of the new mall across the road has also been completed.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Gold ex DM, Marriott and Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
Thats quite unusual.

I agree the Westin has the best location. Construction of the new mall across the road has also been completed.
i LOVE the mall across the street!!! shopping and dining options were fabulous! I already miss KL!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Just booked a stay late January at Le Meridien rather than Westin (to try to get to 4 stays on the LM promo),

Now I find this KL 'where to stay' guide - too late! Mistake?

We're booked for 3 nights on a 'pay 2' rate for a Club room. Worked out slightly more than the LM Siem Reap per night (but that was the basic room rather than club room).

Are we still located well WRT transport, so that we can do the other KL things - shopping and eating?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
Question Trip to Kuala Selangor to see the Fireflies

Does anyone have an opinion on this area? We were thinking of going to this area for a night or two to see both the fireflies and the general area to experience Malayasia outside of Kuala Lumpur without having to travel too far or exert too much effort. We are looking closely at Fire Fly Park Resort. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:01 am

I've stayed in all three in the past couple of years as a Platinum guest.

Sheraton (before it was refurbished) - upgraded to a very large, comfortable suite. Location's not brilliant - although there's a row of restaurants opposite, and a monorail station nearby. Excellent spa, but the pool area wasn't particularly impressive (albeit they may have sorted that now). Hotel restaurants OK but nothing special.

Westin - upgraded to a very large, very modern, very cool suite! Location's wonderful for the central shopping area and the superb mall that's just opened opposite. Very trendy food court area with several good places to eat.

LM - two stays: upgraded to a suite the first time (for a week's stay), upgraded to a Royal Club room for our one-night stay the second time. Wonderful location for transport, but a little distance from the main central sites. Food is amazing here - excellent restaurants in the hotel, and you can also charge to your LM room from the adjoining Hilton (which also has good restaurants, and one truly great one). Very, very nice pool area. Amazingly cheap on a "6 for 4" offer.

I'd personally choose the LM, or possibly the Westin, if I returned, but that may be unfair on the Sheraton given their refurb - and all are excellent hotels and great value for money.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
I stayed at the Westin last week and for the first time, got upgraded to a suite (4 night stay). Was a big surprise when I got to the room, as nothing was said at check-in. There was a conference going on in the hotel, so it was a big surprise that they had the room.

Other stays there, had to fight for a king bed (was given twin).

But every time I have stayed there, I have always gotten access to the lounge, even if I am not staying on an executive floor.

As stated - good breakfast (even better now with a chef around to cook the eggs).

Evening cocktails, the food seems to have been reduced since previous stays, but again, they have a chef to cook something - it differs every night.

On top of the Platinum ammenity, there was also an offer of another small something (5 pieces of fruit, cookies etc.) I chose the home made chocolate and it was very nice.

Only stuff up was I booked a car to take me to the airport at 06:45 and when I checked out, they had no record of the booking. Car turned up within 10 minutes.

Great location as others have said.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Any promos that apply in Malaysia right now? I'm going to KUL in early April and unfortunately the quarterly promo does not apply...

Also, has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Subang Hotel and Towers? It's Cat.1...
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
How is the transportation options for the LM to downtown? They don't really talk about that on the website.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.