Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Arrow W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Hello,

My husband and I are going to a conference at the end of the month, and we're staying at the W City Center for 6 nights. Does anyone have recommendations on specific room requests I might ask for?

We're SPG Gold--might this get us any upgrade at this hotel?

Thanks!

Last edited by grgs; Jun 2, 2005 at 4:44 pm Reason: Addition
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:56 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Welcome to FT!
I have always gotten upgrades at W City Center as a gold. Maybe I was lucky, but it seems to me that they treat golds quite well, IMHO. I don't remember the exact room numbers, but I recall that some of the rooms face an inner courtyard and they are quite a bit larger than the ones facing the street (as well as less noisy). Rooms at the corner of the building, facing southwest, are also quite large. Sorry I can't be more specific. Overall, I must have stayed there six or seven times and I have been happy each time.
While there, try their restaurant (We) for dinner. Quite nice. Enjoy!
Old Jun 4, 2005, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by grgs
Hello,

My husband and I are going to a conference at the end of the month, and we're staying at the W City Center for 6 nights. Does anyone have recommendations on specific room requests I might ask for?

We're SPG Gold--might this get us any upgrade at this hotel?

Thanks!
I stayed there once and enjoyed it. 2 caveats. They permit ordering from outside vendors. However the vendor will need your room number and correct spelling of your name or they won't let them in due to security. More importantly, they have rooms as small as 100 square feet. If you get a really cheap rate, make sure its not one of those 10x10 hobbit sized rooms.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Gold probably won't get you a suite upgrade, but maybe a one-quality-level upgrade. A few months ago on an otherwise nondescript Friday night, neither I nor another Platinum could get upgrades on standard rates, the hotel claiming to me that those rooms were filled with customers paying the higher rates. Since I'm local and was just staying there for the convenience, I won't be going back.

If I were you, I'd make a backup reservation for the last five nights at the Westin River North, which is also very close to wherever you'll be going from the W (even if the conference is at the W, it's only about a $6 cab ride). Make sure that your rate at the W doesn't have a penalty for leaving early, and that you can cancel the Westin rate up to 6pm of the night of arrival. This way, if the W City Center gives you some attitude about your room size or location, you can threaten to just check out after one night.

Search here and you'll find a bunch of threads about this property.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 6:45 pm
drive46

The Higher The Better

I had the fortune of staying at this hotel numerous times in 2003 and 2004 (I was about the only one from my company who LOVED this hotel). I, too, had great luck with getting better rooms as a GOLD and I agree that they do treat their elites well pretty well here. I never had two rooms that were the same layout and even had two bathrooms a few times!?! Based on my experiences and seeing the rooms of my non-elite coworkers (which may be why they didn't like the hotel as much as me), the higher the floor that your room is on the better the rooms seem to be. Unfortunately, I can't recall a cutoff of a floor number, but about 9 or about should be better. The few times that I was lower floors the heating/cooling systems were not as efficient in accomplishing the job as the rooms higher up. The rooms higher up were roomier and had taller ceilings, making them feel even bigger. Ahh...wish I were heading back next week.

Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:39 am

Arrow W Chicago City Center (Master Thread)

Tried a search and couldn't find anything since 2001...Has anyone stayed at the W Chicago City Center recently? Any reviews would be appreciated. Any chance of an upgrade there? How are the rooms?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I stayed there last month. The room I had was large by W standards, but not other hotels. No upgrade and no Platinum amenity until I called down and asked. I was given the points. The concierge then sent another amenity to my room as an apology. I was only there one night. No problem using 4pm checkout. That worked out well. Went to the Bears game and then returned to change before heading to the airport. I did receive a generic email from the GM after my stay asking for feedback. I sent a reply and never heard anything.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:50 pm

thanks

Originally Posted by dukeman
I stayed there last month. The room I had was large by W standards, but not other hotels. No upgrade and no Platinum amenity until I called down and asked. I was given the points. The concierge then sent another amenity to my room as an apology. I was only there one night. No problem using 4pm checkout. That worked out well. Went to the Bears game and then returned to change before heading to the airport. I did receive a generic email from the GM after my stay asking for feedback. I sent a reply and never heard anything.

Thanks. I'm scheduled to be there next week, and was worried because the reviews from the old posts weren't very good.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
As stated above, the rooms are good-sized for a W, and I htink the lobby is pretty funky cool. Staff has been very helpful on occasion when I needed recommendations for food, etc.
I stay there mainly b/c it's located righ by one of our offices, so convenience is a factor. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there any time.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:39 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
I stayed at the W Chicago City Center on a Friday and Saturday using an award stay.

Upgraded to Spectacular room upon check-in. Room was very large and had a view of the rear courtyard (which made for a very quiet room).

The only problem with this hotel is it is in the middle of the business district. The L stop is very close which gives easy access though.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:32 pm

Thumbs down Stay away

I just stayed at the W City Center this week on a quick break from a family visit. Booked a Spectacular room.

The good
  • I checked in at 2 PM with no hassle when checkin was at 3
  • Nice morning coffee bar in the "living room"
The bad
  • I was checked into a wheelchair room with a terrible layout. The chair faced an odd direction and you couldn't see the TV from one half of the bed. It was this way presumably to make a massive open space in the room for a wheelchair to maneuver. All the furniture was crammed to one side of the room, which made it feel cramped. There was no bathtub, and instead there was a showerhead with a large plastic char and no barrier to keep the eater from spilling into the rest of bathroom. I'm all for accessible rooms, but would prefer not to be in one unless necessary. The hotel was nearly empty, I paid a full rate and was checked into a second-rate room.
  • I realized at night, after putting on my pajamas, that the lamp near the plush chair had no lightbulb. Had to find somewhere else in the room to read. I didn't bother calling downstairs because at that point it was more trouble than it was worth. I'd have preferred to have a light bulb in the first place.
  • In the morning, I called W/W line and said: "I have a lunch appointment, and would like to checkout sometime before three."
    Response: "Sir, checkout is noon."
    Me: "Well, I would like to check out a bit late."
    Long pause.
    Me: "I am asking for late checkout, may I have it?"
    Response: "Ok, sir."

That's "whatever" service alright, though not the good kind.
  • I get home today, and look at the folio in the e-mail. I've been charged $16 for "Munchie Box," which I presume is the minibar. I never even looked at the minibar. Perhaps there was a mistake, like with the lightbulb. I call the front desk, and am forwarded to an answering machine for an accountant who-- half a business day later-- still has not returned my call.
The ugly
  • An HDTV that doesn't show HD content. What's the point?
If I wanted to stay at a nice hotel and be treated poorly, I'd bid on a boutique hotel on Priceline. This was just unacceptable.

I stayed at the Four Points MKE the next evening and had a much better service experience than the W for a fraction of the price. And the room was nicer. Next time in Chicago I'll stay at the Westin.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:44 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
I stayed there last month, just got a regular (smallish, old-style hotel type) room, but I have been given a disabled room before in another chain, and know what you mean! The Bliss products wouldn't have quite made up for it....

But at least one night I came back to the room to find another guest's complimentary popcorn and Cokes (complete with addressed card!) which I got to enjoy....

I think there are better hotels to return to....
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Love the W...

I love staying at the W CC when in Chicago. I've always have great service there and the people are really nice. (not always the case at W's) I've stayed at a lot of W Hotels and this is in my top 2 or 3. Would recommend it...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:37 pm

The accessible room is a fluke. I think it happens to all of us at some point. Next time it happens to me (in any hotel), I'm definitely going to head back down to the front desk and see about changing rooms.

The late check-out seems hit or miss at so many properties. I stay at the two W Chicago properties once every two months or so and it's different each time. Sometimes they offer 4pm at check-in. Sometimes it's a negotiation back and forth ("we can do 2pm" "how about 4pm?" "3pm is the latest"). Sometimes they want to charge me a half-day extra, at which point I have to start pulling rank.

To be honest, I haven't noticed the lack of HD content. I agree that it's a little silly to replace all those televisions and not upgrade the main system at the same time, but I don't generally watch much television in my room anyway.

My threshold at these hotels is generally $200 when I'm staying there for personal reasons. I've managed to get down to $129 at City Center, at which point I think it's a great deal. But above $200... eh, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by blort
The accessible room is a fluke. I think it happens to all of us at some point. Next time it happens to me (in any hotel), I'm definitely going to head back down to the front desk and see about changing rooms.
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad someone else has experienced this.

You know, I realized it was an accessible room well into the night (in robe, unpacked), so like the lightbulb, it just wasn't worth making a big fuss given the amount of work/disruption to my evening. It was a slow process. First, the furniture really bothered me, but I figured "hey, maybe that's how things are here." Peeks into other rooms proved me wrong, just about the time my girlfriend was like "there's no bathtub." I went in the bathroom and knew then, when I saw the seat in the shower. Then I noticed the second, lower peephole.

But for sure, from now on my default hotel instructions will say "no wheelchair room please."

When I'm there for a short stay, I do count on a lot of things being right the first time. Other times I tend to get things fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.