FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Seattle [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I've (gold) stayed at the W and the Sheraton this month, and a friend (platinum) stayed at the Westin. Pick the Sheraton or W. W has a softer bed, but the room was nicer at the Sheraton for similar payment. Valet parking fees are about the same, but the Sheraton is easier to get to. Bar staff at W and Sheraton are similarly friendly, but I like the layout of the bar better at the Sheraton.

Our friend hated the Westin - not helped by VP Biden showing up for his last night.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Maybe attributable to the hotel or maybe a system upgrade, but for the first time ever points for a non-stay SPG dine (Relish, in-house burger bar) credited to my SPG account without the need for pestering emails. Small $, but good to know that the system is working.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:55 am

So I'm debating whether to burn literally all of my starpoints (40k) on a five night stay here, or transfer out from chase UR for a lower level hyatt (neither the Grand Hyatt Seattle nor Hyatt Olive 8 are available for our dates). Don't really want to pay cash for a five night stay in downtown Seattle and I realize this hotel is about to go up a category, but I guess I was hoping to ultimately use these points on something a little more...exciting (perhaps after getting the business card and having partner also get an SPG amex). Is it worth it or should I hold onto them? I realize this is a subjective question...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
If you don't really want to pay cash and there really aren't other options, yeah, I'd guess I'd burn them up - especially if it's going up in Cat. At least the location is super central for downtown.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Just wanted to say I'm done with this location.

The location is great, the views are wonderful from the upper floors, the valet guys are always good for a fun conversation, and I even like the burger place downstairs. However... my personal experience on my last three consecutive trips here are that the hotel is "tired" and the customer service is subpar (including the straw that broke my back last night - I had a room with no hot water and the front desk *might* look in to giving me some points. Gee, thanks). I'm not a complainer at all and smiled and walked out after letting them know before their next guess to that room took an ice cold shower, but I'm going to voice my displeasure with my wallet and shift to the Sheraton, W, or one of the Hyatt properties (I actually like the Olive 8) in downtown Seattle from now on. The Sheraton is 2-3 blocks away and much nicer although it feels like a convention hotel to me.

I do not recommend this Westin location. Keep looking or run the risk of encountering less than Westin standards on rooms and more importantly customer service.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
This is a Sheraton +, not a Westin.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
??

Originally Posted by dingo
This is a Sheraton +, not a Westin.
Dingo, this thread is for the Westin Seattle, not the Sheraton. Not sure what you mean?

For my part, I agree entirely with AirTexas.^^
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I've stayed quite a bit at various Seattle properties. The Hyatt at Olive 8 and Grand Hyatt beat the Sheraton and Westin hands down. They tend to be more expensive though.

As AirTexas mentioned, the view from the Westin is nice from the high floors.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The Westin Seattle is one of my least favorite Starwoods. I've never had any meaningful upgrades here (sometimes, not even high floor or views), the rooms are in bad shape, breakfast is a joke. The Seattle Sheraton and W are also weak. GH and O8 are much better properties, and anyone with multiple statuses would be a fool to stay at the Westin (or indeed any Starwood property in Seattle).
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:15 am

Gee I hate it when I read stuff like this. Just made a 2 night reservation, now bummed about instead of anticipating the weekend get-away. Anyone have anything good to say about the Westin in Seattle?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Lucy2001
Gee I hate it when I read stuff like this. Just made a 2 night reservation, now bummed about instead of anticipating the weekend get-away. Anyone have anything good to say about the Westin in Seattle?
I was there about 6 months ago. It is a very a large convention hotel, and if you start with that in mind, I think you will have less disappointment. There were multiple conferences there when I was there and the hotel was very full. Someone said it was like that most of the time.

This is the only hotel I've ever stayed in that consistently had lines at check in at 10 or 11 pm. Checkin can be hit or miss- I got a bit of a miss but service recovery was good once I pointed it out. The gold/plat Checkin is not open late in the evening and can be a little hard to find. Look to the right on the main Checkin, it's off in its own little room. It was closed when I initially checked in, which contributed the miss.

As a gold, I was able to request late checkout (not required to be given at this hotel). The location is very good and you can easily use the light rail from the airport to get there. The poster who said it was more like a "Sheraton plus" was pretty on target, IMHO. I'd stay there again if I was in Seattle.

I think the main issue is the sheer volume of checking and check outs. It's not a secluded resort. It's a busy (some might say very busy) center city convention hotel. Your rate most likely reflected that. I know mine did- sub $200. I found it to be reasonable value for the price paid.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Caution

This clearly isn’t always the situation, but they are currently undergoing lobby renovations and the lobby is an a ballroom and the elevators are horrendously slow with long lines of people waiting. It’s a bit of chaos here.

To make matters worse, as a Platinum I requested a King bed and received what I hope is one of the worst double rooms in this cookie cutter high rise hotel. The room was abominable and smelled of mildew- but they were sold out. Perhaps the worst Platinum 100 recognition in a long while.

Very disappointing hotel overall.

Location is good, so that’s a plus.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
So, the last few comments not withstanding, I booked a 7 night stay here starting next week prior to an Alaskan Cruise...so far this has happened

I got an email from the address above 7 days before check in asking if there is a special occasion or anything they could do to make my stay more pleasant

I replied with my daughters birthday and the fact I had SNA's pending as well as inquired about the breakfast Amenity and how it was handled
I got a reply explaining all of that and asked if we had food allergies so he could arrange a treat for my daughter
24hrs later I got a SNA approved notice and we are in an Executive suite (Looks like a regular room connected to one of the Murphy bed rooms)

I know this thread has been doom and gloom and I am still reserved a bit until we check in, but so far I am quite impressed by what I have seen a witnessed
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Is the Sheraton actually better here? Is this one of those towns where the Sheraton facility is actually nicer than the Westin? Toronto is one of those for example.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OK, follow up:
SNA was approved
Upgraded to a high floor premium executive suite (SNA was for a mid floor suite)
Cupcakes in the room for my daughters B-day
Hotel is older, but not in "Dis repair" by any means
Pool is nice
Staff is extremely friendly and so far, probably the best part of our stay (People always make the difference)

I would stay here again no hesitation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.