Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Georgetown - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Georgetown - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Nice. It looks like they have adapted the generic Westin simple design. I love the illuminated mirrors.

I love the location of this property as it's the closest to Georgetown.

Thanks for the pics
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Nice. It looks like they have adapted the generic Westin simple design. I love the illuminated mirrors.

I love the location of this property as it's the closest to Georgetown.

Thanks for the pics
The bathrooms are VERY nice. The tub was great after working out.^

I don't understand why they didn't have double vanities Without asking the only thing I can think of is this property is more a business property and they have more single occupancy, single night guest.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Cheap Elite,
I appreciate your report. For a one-nighter, you did a fantastic job in reviewing items that are most important. I have a one night stay coming after their renovation date of March 2. I feel good about it after I read your post. Thanks again.
For those who are staying here soon, please post your experience at the CL.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Cheap Elite,
I appreciate your report. For a one-nighter, you did a fantastic job in reviewing items that are most important. I have a one night stay coming after their renovation date of March 2. I feel good about it after I read your post. Thanks again.
For those who are staying here soon, please post your experience at the CL.
No problem. For what it's worth, I think some form of the renovation will last longer than March 2. The pool area, the gym, all the suites, and a few public areas are still in late phases of construction.

One or two floors might still be receiving finishing touches.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was there last night and it was pretty good overall.

The doorman saw me approaching on foot and waved me over from the rotating doors to a side regular door to avoid any problems with my rolling bag. He asked my name as we headed to check-in and provided it to the agent. Check-in was professional and quick. As I turned around and scanned for the elevators, a clerk out in the lobby quickly pointed my in the right direction. Very attentive.

The room was nice, as described above. Plenty of wireless signals from the kind apartment dwellers next door.

Room service was ridiculous. Salad, pannini sandwich and diet Pepsi - $42. Yikes!! Over 50% (iirc) service charge, delivery charge, tax.

Biggest problem - jackhammering until 6pm in the evening, starting again at 8am. I got there early to get some work done, stayed up late so I wanted to sleep in, and had a later flight so I wanted to work in the room. I woke up to hammering, and there was no way to work with the noise, so I caught an earlier flight, and worked in the office.

It wasn't cheap so, although it's a nice property, I'd go elsewhere unless the price was better. And no way I'd stay until construction is over. Unfortunately, our corporate booking engine doesn't show any construction alerts that may appear on spg.com
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
The room was nice, as described above. Plenty of wireless signals from the kind apartment dwellers next door.

What side of the building were you on? I couldn't get any "open" signals. Hey, don't look at me like that...I'm cheap!

When I was there, albeit a weekend, the noise didn't start until about 10 AM. I don't remember when it stopped.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What side of the building were you on? I couldn't get any "open" signals. Hey, don't look at me like that...I'm cheap!
9th floor, inside overlooking the "outdoor pool" and apartments next door. About 20 signals, 3 of them open.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:11 am
Suspended

9th floor, inside overlooking the "outdoor pool" and apartments next door. About 20 signals, 3 of them open.
Oh ok, thanks. My first room overlooked the "pool" or as I will refer to it in the future "the one car parking space"

I guess there are more "open" signals on that side and the 23 street side of the property.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Oh ok, thanks. My first room overlooked the "pool" or as I will refer to it in the future "the one car parking space"

I guess there are more "open" signals on that side and the 23 street side of the property.
Aren't you guys afraid they will hack into your computer by using one of those open signals?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:52 am
Suspended

Aren't you guys afraid they will hack into your computer by using one of those open signals?
nope, i only use my travel lap top to access email and search the internet, make online restaurant, reservations, check in, etc. So there is no stored information on it. Besides, I need my flyertalk fix while on the road!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really. I use a VPN and my entire drive in encrypted.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Well, Cheap Elite helped me out with info on the Embassy Row and encouraged me to write about my experience at the Grand so here goes. My wife and I, my daughter, son-in-law and their twins, and my youngest son and his young lady all went to DC last month to celebrate the birth of our oldest son's new daughter. We had reservations at the Park Hyatt and made last minute reservations for the kids at the Westin Grand.

They were both informed that they had been upgraded. Now as a Platinum, I didn't expect anything since I was not the one staying there, but the hotel took the initiative in proactively informing them.

That said, call me unimpressed with the room. The bathrooms were gorgeous and comfortable. I prefer a stall shower and it's nice to see that upscale hotels are all including separate shower stalls. But I found the rest of the room to be suffocatingly small. There was a desk and desk chair, but that was it! No easy chair, no sofa - nowhere to comfortably sit and read or watch TV.

Right now I'm SPG Platinum but that will probably end at the end of this cycle. But even as a Platinum, I know you have to expect nothing and be happy with getting the basic room. This was not a room that I would have found comfortable. And now it's a Category 5!

Other than that, the hotel and service was friendly and competant. I do second the comment about the entrance. Two cars getting there the same time might work but considering people check in and that cabs arrive, seems to be a real potential problem.
Old May 4, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Trip Review

Date of Stay: 5/3/08 (this review was started midway through my stay)
Stay Type: Cash and Points, booked 1 night in advance

LocationI like where this Westin is- 24th and M street in a fairly nice Foggy Bottom/West End neighborhood. It's about 7-8 blocks to the Dupont Metro (Red line) and about 6-7 blocks to the Foggy Bottom Metro (Blue/Orange lines). It's not a bad walk to Georgetown at all, or anywhere else really (within reason). Right across the street (to the left as you are walking out) is a decent deli. Unfortunately the hours are not the best if you like to be up/out late (as I usually am), so for those of you that want late night eats, it can be kind of far/inconvenient. One of my favorite resources is dcsnacks.com, which is essentially a really good online mini-mart, that during late night hours also delivers pitas/wraps. It's pretty quick too.

Check in: I went to check in at 4pm, and though there were other guests standing around the check in counter, there really was no line. I just walked up to the desk and was promptly checked in. My platinum status was only acknowledged after I asked if they had my information, and even then I was not offered an amenity. I was told all suites were under renovation. My room was not ready, so the person took my name/number to call when it was ready. I left to hang out with some of my friends. I got a call just after 6pm to say my room was ready. I came back around 10pm, and had no problems getting my room, as well as 4pm checkout confirmation and the platinum amenity.

The room: I was given room 746, a corner room on an SPG floor. It had been several months since I had stayed at this property, and it seemed that the renovations had gone well. This room faces another apartment building, and a back courtyard (though not the actual Westin courtyard with the pool). I was able to pick up several wireless signals from nearby. The size of the room was about average- I've had much larger corner rooms at this property (I wanna sax x50 rooms and x52 maybe). The furniture is in much better shape and all has white frosted glass on the surface. I really like the new desk chairs- very comfy and adjustable. Some pictures (from my blackberry- not the best quality):
The Bed
TV and wardrobe
View from the entry
A very cool A/V input box
Desk area
The greenish curtains seem new to me also- a nice touch. There is a refreshment center with the usual overpriced Westin items. Say you wanted a tin of cashews, and chose the $10 Refreshment Center credit as your platinum amenity- think it would be covered? Nope. I asked a friend at the front desk if it was possible to buy anything from the center with the $10, and the answer was 'not really'. The room features the 'wakecup' single cup pod coffee maker. I actually like this little system- the only drawback is the creamer is that powder stuff which makes your coffee like mud. I always thought they could put those little single servings of real creamer in the rooms- they're pasteurized and don't need refridgeration. Alternatively, you can go downstairs to the lobby until about 10am where they have a (free) Starbucks station- regular/decaf and hot water for tea.

Bathroom: As this property is noted to have, the dual soaking tub/shower stall is very nice. The mirror/vanity seem new, as does the cool textured wallpaper and small amount of interesting earth toned tile around the sink. My bathroom had a small window. Too bad it (nor any of the others) open)
Shower
Really bad picture of the sink/mirror
Soaking tub
Bathroom

Common areas:
I haven't been around too much to look around. The lobby looks about the same as I remember it-maybe a bit lighter/airy. The hallways seem to have new-ish carpet that doesn't seem as worn as I remember. My friend at the desk says that almost everyone asks about a club lounge (there isn't one) but apparently the next proirity is a gift shop. There was abundant fruit in the lobby and on each (my) floor.

That's all for now...

Last edited by Peatisback; May 5, 2008 at 8:21 am Reason: Updated and fixed links
Old May 4, 2008, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I can't d/l any of your pics.

Thanks for fixing the links.

Last edited by philemer; May 5, 2008 at 8:37 am
Old May 19, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
First impression - impressive

Never stay here before. Always wanted to experience a property other Marriott or Hilton within walking distance to Georgetown.
Stayed here last week, during one of those heavy downpours in the DC area.
Without status with SPG, I was received like I had status. From the bellmen to the front desk personnel. Smiling, courteous, friendly!
Before my booking this place, read some reviews about it, most were during the renovation period. After ascertaining the completion date, I knew when I check in it will be all done. Indeed it has, as confirmed by front desk when I checked in.
Got a room on the 5th floor, facing 44th. The renovated room was great. Bathroom scored big with me. So did the service.
Totally surprised by the quality of this hotel as I was some what anxious about all the prior bad comments of noise and dust. None of that now. I particularly like its location. Indeed walking distance to Georgetown. Metro is close enough to walk. All and all, a great experience. I am already thinking of returning soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.