Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2002, 7:52 pm
PMD

Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
It is West - Northwest
Old Dec 17, 2002, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I stayed there twice in the last two months, as a platinum. Both stays were during the week for one night. My upgrade was awesome--a huge suite with decent sized living room, large dining table, and wet bar. I got this upgrade both times and was extremely pleased.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:01 am

I stayed there this past July. No upgrade, in fact the room on the 60th (supposedly for SPG mbrs) floor was awful. The meal in the revolving restaurant was awful and overpriced. The manager sent choco covered strawberries up to compensate me for the horrible experience.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 6:34 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Stayed there two nights this week (Mon, Tue). Upgraded to a suite on 68. AWESOME! HUGE Parlor with an 8 seat dining table, wet bar, separate living room area with pull out sofa, TV and large coffee table and a bathroom. Through the door was a complete bedroom with King bed, another bathroom. The view was over CNN Center, Olympic Park, etc. I entertained about 11 people one night and there was no problems with space.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:59 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
When I was there a few months ago, they upgraded me to a junior suite (nice but nothing special), but I then asked for a regular SPG room on a higher floor/better view. In any case, they were VERY accomodating.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I never get upgraded at this property. I also get put in a standard, cramped room - but the checkin agents invariably tell me that I've been "upgraded." Their idea of an upgrade is putting an SPG sign next to the door of the room......
Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Stayed there two nights this week (Mon, Tue). Upgraded to a suite on 68. AWESOME! HUGE Parlor with an 8 seat dining table, wet bar, separate living room area with pull out sofa, TV and large coffee table and a bathroom. Through the door was a complete bedroom with King bed, another bathroom. The view was over CNN Center, Olympic Park, etc. I entertained about 11 people one night and there was no problems with space.
I in a similar room on that floor back in December. It was great. I got the upgrade even while burning a free weekend night.

For rgoel, why wait four weeks before asking the front desk? Speak up and get what you've earned for your continued loyalty to SPG.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:17 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
Originally Posted by yashan
I in a similar room on that floor back in December. It was great. I got the upgrade even while burning a free weekend night.

For rgoel, why wait four weeks before asking the front desk? Speak up and get what you've earned for your continued loyalty to SPG.

Umm...because Terms & Conditions indicate that you're entitled to the best available room at the time of check-in...?

Not to get way too OT, but I sometimes can't help thinking that Starwood is damned if they do, damned if they don't. I mean, there are myriad threads where members complain about not getting upgrades until time of check-in (i.e., not getting them blocked in advance which, of course, is contrary to T&Cs). Then others complain that the hotel does give upgrades in advance (for instance, based on rate paid) instead of doling-out suites on a first-come, first-served basis. Then you've got the crowd who gets indignant when they can't get early check-in, yet I'm pretty sure this is the same crowd who prevents early check-ins from occurring because they're demanding a late check-out of 4 pm. Oh, well -- rant over.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've stayed here several times over the years and never gotten a suite. However I always get a "superior room" which is quite nice. I usually pay over $200 per night.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Post The Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta - Trip Report

I stayed here over the labor day weekend so this is a compilation of 2 stays, plus some added info from a buddy who was also staying here. Hey…gotta work those promo’s and the downtown Atlanta properties are so close together!

Checked in at 12 Noon. The lobby was quite busy, as there were groups checking out and people checking in for the weekend.

My status was acknowledged and was thanked by the agent for returning to the hotel. I was told the hotel was pretty light this night.

My buddy and I both got surprised by being placed in suites. I was placed into a large King suite on the 68 floor, with a wetbar, that looked out to the Georgia Dome. My buddy was given a King suite on 65 Floor. The bedroom was a standard King room and they are small!

SUMMARY
Would I return? Yes, based on a combination of location & rate. The location is great since most of what I do in ATL is downtown or Midtown; and rate, as this was a promo rate which couldn’t be beat. However, if the Sheraton, Hilton, Embassy Suites had a lower rate I would have to make a tough decision.
Would I recommend? Yes, since it has great views its nice for a romantic get-a-way
Would I recommend restaurant? Yes, (I didn’t eat there this stay, but have had good experiences in the past)

Overall rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 7

Check-in/check-out 9 ^
Quick, Courteous & knowledgeable staff: Since there was a pretty long general check in line some people from that line started to migrate to the starwood gold/platinum line, there were only 3 people in this line, the check-in agent came from around the counter and asked if any of the new arrivals were (starwood) gold or platinum level members. When no one answered “yes”, she politely stated, “this line is for our loyal Gold and Platinum members who have worked so hard to obtain or maintain status and this is a dedicated line to expedite their check-in/check-out, so I’ll have to ask all of you to move to the general check in line!” She then indicated how people could sign up for a starwood number. I thanked her ^ ^
Good job at accommodating guests’ request: N/A
Accurate folios: Yes

Common Areas 4
furniture/fixtures: OK. I sat in the chair at the desk in my room and a leg completely broke. I almost split my head wide open on the table behind.
Cleanliness: Clean and fresh no handprints or fingerprints on the windows
Elevators: Short waits & no major disruptions
Lobby Cafe/bar: Nice bar & busy Starbucks in lobby. the cafe didn't seem to be open.
Security: Lax, homeless people walking in off street
Maintenance /housekeeping: Piles of garbage and debris in hallways. One morning I could not get out my room as all the garbage was stacked up in front of my door.

Guest Rooms 5
Size: all rooms are small
Room Lighting: Lots of lighting & electrical sockets
Bed: Heavenly beds
Alarm Clock: Some rooms have the Bose Alarm clock.
Extras: Some rooms have fax machines
Noise: I heard no noise for adjoining guest rooms
View: Floor to ceiling windows with panoramic of the city

Guest Room Bathrooms 6
Size: Average, but good counter space
Lighting: OK, could be brighter to me.
Mirrors: One large mirror
Heavenly shower: yes
Amenities: lots of towels, full line of heavenly bathproductsStandard amount of face, hand & body towels

Gym 10 ^ ^
The best hotel gym I’ve ever used! Huge, with plenty of cardio machines, weight machines and free weights. There is also plenty of room to stretch.

Executive Lounge
No lounge at this property

Pool 4
Basic
small pool with retractable roof
Very quiet if you would like to just lay out and catch some rays.
No supervision. One day a guy let his dog jump in the pool, which I didn’t think was appropriate.

Restaurants 7 ^
Sun Dial: Even if you don’t eat at the restaurant, during this trip, have a drink at the bar and check out the view. Dates love that!

Parking 0
Valet:Once of the worst valet service I’ve ever experienced. You can’t call down for your car, you must do it in person. Long lines to get in even longer lines to get out! TIP: Before checking out, FIRST go down to valet and request the car. Make sure they add the valet charges to the room folio BEFORE checking out, if not you’ll have to wait in another line and pay at the valet cashier, which is disorganized at best. If you do this, your car may be be waiting for you after you’ve completely checked out.
Street Parking: On weekends downtown Atlanta is dead, so you might be able to find parking within a few blocks, as well as a sea of parking garages.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 12, 2005 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I just wanted to alert everyone that this property will now charge US$5.00 to adults and US$3.00 to children who want to use the scenic elevator but are not guests of the hotel nor patrons of the Sun Dial revolving restaurant.

I am not certain as to how long this policy has been in effect, but I remember when one could use the scenic elevator without question or charge.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:54 pm

Gym?

any more detail on the gym, what they have..anyone have any pictures? Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:30 pm

I want to request a room that has a downtown city view - any idea as to what room type I shoudl request?

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Kobi
any more detail on the gym, what they have..anyone have any pictures? Thanks
I want to request a room that has a downtown city view - any idea as to what room type I shoudl request?

Thanks!
The gym is (to me) one of the best, if not the best, gym in the starwood system.

I would say ask for a view looking towards north (buckhead) which will give you a view of midtown.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:41 pm

Thanks!
I stayed at the Westin Peachtree Plaza for a couple nights this week. If you get assigned a room number ending in xx01, xx02, xx19 or xx20, request another one. These rooms are all open to the elevator waiting area and can therefore get quite a lot of noise floating in through the doors. Rooms xx01 and xx20 are the worst, with xx02 and xx19 being only a bit better.

I was given room 4x20, but made the mistake of not going back for a new room assignment right away upon realising the proximity to the elevators. It turned out that there's construction a couple blocks away that is ongoing throughout the night and the noise was clearly audible from my room at 2 a.m.

So much for the 'Preferred Room' for SPG Gold.

A few other observations from my stay there:
- the furniture is getting tired. The coffee table in my was well past its prime.
- the clock radios in the room are fantastic. It seems like they're Sony's response to the Wave (or whatever it's called) from Bose
- The room layout is a bit different than typical. The bed faces towards the windows, with the head against the washroom wall. I quite liked this.
- I woke up after my first of two nights to find a folio under my door. I was a bit shocked and panicked (it was too early to think rationally!) that they messed up my reservation. Closer inspection revealed that they had given me a folio for another room.
- the area really is a let down. There are lots of hotels and a few dining options, but the area is totally dead on a weeknight. Buckhead would be a much better area to stay if on a leisure trip or if it fits your plans.
- I didn't get a chance to check out the gym, so I can't comment on that

To be honest, I would pass on this property unless you really need to be in the area or if it is otherwise especially convenient for your purposes. That said, I was attending a conference in the hotel, so I couldn't have asked to stay anywhere more convenient for that purpose. I would stay at the Westin Peachtree Plaza again if I was heading to another conference there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.