Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Thanks for being one of the first to test the waters. I had been there once before as a guest of the Wyndham folks. I had been invited as a VIP by them and given exceptional luxury suite accommodations
However the awful service under the Wyndham flag was dreadful in comparison to the past Westin branding stay experience. And I would rather be a non VIP elsewhere in a regular room happily. I have never been fan of Wyndham and nothing has changed. I suppose we all need to be patient as the hotel plays catch up to the Westin brand standards.
Hopefully the hotel will be a good choice in Nola once again
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:40 pm

Just wanted to report on 3 recent 1 night stays at the Westin Canal Place. I was alternating between there and the W poydras. I experienced excellent platinum recognition. Two of the three nights I was upgraded, without asking, to a top floor suite. In contrast, at the W poydras, which gets excellent reports on this board for upgrades, I didn't get any upgrades.

The renovations seem almost done except for the pool which isn't open yet. The rate is cheaper than the two Ws and I'd suggest that platinums consider this hotel when going to New Orleans.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I just completed a one night stay at this hotel, and was not impressed. The rooms are nice enough (typical modern renovated Westin - Soulless Business Hotel). However, the service is lacking. Plat upgrade was to the SPG floor , and I had to fight to get 4pm late checkout. The uninformed front desk clerk read to me from a script stating that late checkout was "subject to availability at conference centers and resorts." This hotel is neither a conference center nor a resort property, and the benefit is accordingly not subject to availability for Plats. Regardless, the front desk clerk was rather brusque, informing me that the hotel was booked full for the evening, and that I would have to leave by 2pm.

The W on Poydras will continue to get the bulk of my frequent stays in MSY. The staff there are wonderful, and the upgrades plentiful. Given that the Westin often charges just as much as the W, it's pretty-much a no-brainer.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Any recent reports.
Has Columbia Su(cks)ssex brought this property up to it's potential yet?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Any recent reports.
Has Columbia Su(cks)ssex brought this property up to it's potential yet?
Here are some photos from my recent stay at the beginning of this month. No suite upgrade, again, but I was given a deluxe room on one of the top floors, facing the river.

The Photos:

It was a nice enough stay. The lack of upgrades at this property is aggravating, though. The W on Poydras always upgrades me to a corner suite with separate living room/dining nook and 1.5 baths. However, the views of the river are better from the Westin. French Quarter access is also marginally better from the Westin (it's about two blocks closer than the W Poydras).

Last edited by Anglo Large Clawed Otter; Oct 30, 2008 at 10:42 am
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for the great post AngloLargeClawedOtter.
It looks like it will be the Sheraton or the W Poydras for my stay.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thanks for the update ALCO!

Based on my stay, post-stay communication with this property and the many (better) SPG options in New Orleans, I'll be staying away until we see some improved experiences.

(I was recently in NO for a convention and my group stayed at the Westin and I stayed at the Sheraton. They thought it was strange I didn't want to stay with them.... once we got to NO they realized why.)
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, United Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
I had a stay there last month as well, and I would echo the sentiments already stated... its a Westin, and one that's still under renovation, no less. (Sadly the renovated areas are in that Westin style where you're not certain if you're in New Orleans or Des Moines, the high point are the floor-to-ceiling windows in the lobby that overlook the river.)

The staff were nice though; the Business Center provided a laptop power cord, and the front desk did make it seem that they were willing to give us an upgrade, if only we didnt need 2 beds (they claimed that all of their suites in the 1-bedroom category had 1 bed). The higher floors have great views of the river and the French Quarter.

My only frame of reference in New Orleans prior to this stay was the W on Poydras... and I have to say that my personal preference would be to return to the Westin, both for the location and for the price.

A couple of notes though:
1. They didnt offer valet parking during my stay... they are "still working on it," although the hotel is connected to a mall with a parking garage. To add insult to injury, they offer a minor discount to the exorbitant garage rates after you park the car yourself.

2. Make sure to check your bill closely; not sure if they were still ironing out some kinks but there were several errors that the staff helped us sort out before we departed the hotel.

I'd definitely be willing to stay here again in a few months to see if things improve at all.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
What is the parking charge at this property?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
they charge 20 dollars a night. they dont offer valet even though it is listed on their web page.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
A friend who is going to stay at the hotel this weekend wanted to know about the rooftop pool. Has been to the property lately and, if so, has anyone looked at the rooftop pool? Any other updates about the hotel appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:17 pm

Stayed here for JazzFest a few months ago, got a great rate.

The renovated rooms are up to snuff, sleek bathrooms, flat screens, and heavenly beds. Great views on either side. Lobby renovation was light, so still looks 80s-ish, albeit upscale 80s-ish.

The bar, River 127 was decent, friendly bar staff made some good mixed drinks, place was somewhat dead though. The Green Bar was closed, reopening TBD.

Housekeeping was pretty confused, they forgot towels a few times and one day forgot to clean the room. Very early morning check-out with the night auditor was unpleasant, guy didn't know how to split the bill or much else. Otherwise good staff.

fyi- Columbia Sussex is a major hotel owner/operator/franchisee, huge Marriott portfolio, bought a few Wyndhams in 06 that were converted to Starwood (westins this one as well as itasca, tampa, toronto airport, san diego, and DC, sheratons in baltimore and philadephia).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Catching up with an old friend/Creating new memories

It was fantastic to be back at the Westin Canal Place.
I am happy to report that my experience was excellent overall or at least what matters most for this traveler.

Not that I didn’t hit some bumps in the road during my stay.
There were more then a few.
But I have always said since my inception on Flyertalk eight years ago it is how you handle those concerns that make the difference.
For that alone the Westin Canal Place gets my hard to earn praise.

First and a very important first the Platinum recognition.
I don't know if this can always be an expectation here but the Westin Canal Place and its mostly excellent and at times heartfelt hard working team exceeded my expectations on almost each and every turn.

A large suite is always a way to any Platinum member’s heart and the Westin didn’t let me down. They assigned me a sensational high floor river view renovated room. A regular but very attractive guest room with connecting large long living room.
I have been in better suites through the years in this property
However I think the room/suite renovations were fairly successful here.
And I enjoyed my accommodations.

An added surprise during my stay complimentary breakfast every morning with anything included. I had steak and eggs. I was so impressed with the great breakfast I took 6 out to dinner in the property and it too was very good. Very nice crab cakes. I don’t know if breakfast will always be included for Plats however I can say that this stay was one of the best in 2008 up there with the Westin Auckland and the Westin Sydney. And did I mention a nice complimentary business center with free computer access?

When a Starwood hotel does perform well they can even after all these years differentiate with excellence by creating an experience with superb elite recognition and value that simply can not be matched by any of my other programs and brands I stay with.
While the Westin Canal Place is not yet a totally polished act it has the potential for future greatness. And even without being at the top of their game I will do everything possible to stay with them again for the foreseeable future.It works just the way it is today

The W New Orleans on the other hand where I spent my first night was just average and a below average value. Since Edmund Sulzman has left requests and profiles are typically ignored in my own experience
As long as they put you in a low floor Jr suite (no view) on a near empty night I suppose they meet SPG requirements of an upgrade.
There was a time when I thought highly of this hotel. I will take the Westin in a heartbeat along with a wide variety of others in this wonderful city
Support New Orleans All
Its a great city with a remarkable history that attracts a lot of wonderful folks!
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 11, 2008 at 12:17 am
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
A friend who is going to stay at the hotel this weekend wanted to know about the rooftop pool. Has been to the property lately and, if so, has anyone looked at the rooftop pool? Any other updates about the hotel appreciated.
Your friend can do better; W FQ has a great pool amidst a courtyard setting, even the mega-Sheraton is a well oiled machine. Sadly, Westin NO is run by Columbia Sucks, a pathetic operator of sub-par hotels that Starwood would be wise to end it's partnership with.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:41 am
Original Poster

We all have different opinions
Our stays may vary due to many factors many out of our control.
But I do feel some of the criticism shared is not all that fair.
In my own experience during my three nights the hotel demonstrated an above average performance and when adding in Platinum treatment exceptional^
The hotel IMO remains a solid choice in NOLA.
Expectations vary from guest to guest.

I witnessed a guest furious at a front desk agent because he thought parking rates were too high.
The agent to the best of her ability tried to please him including comping his parking for one night of his stay but he still wasn't satisfied and refused to accept the goodwill gesture and kept relentlessly at her as if she was the one responsible for the rates.

This same agent ran to my room after being verbally attacked by the guest and assisted housekeeping in trying to get me into my room sooner
Know one ever said it is an easy business to please all guests
I consider myself fairly hard to please and the hotel including the caring and concerned management won me over even with a few mistakes/errors that I experienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.