Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
At that price, one might be better off stopping by Costco (if flying into OGG) and purchasing snorkel equipment. They have a US Diver's set that's $60 IIRC.
Or one could rent their snorkel equipment from the dive shop in Whalers Village (next to the ABC Store I believe) for a week for the price the Sheraton charges for a day. We did.
Old May 11, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
When I asked about internet access without having one's own computer, I was told that most guests bring their computer. To Hawaii? On vacation?
To me it is pretty hard to fathom someone not bringing their laptop with them. I've been to Maui twice in the past 18 months and brought mine both times. Considering there is no personal IFE on the AA flights I've been on it doubled as a DVD player on the trip...plus when I get there I still want to be able to access websites (like personal banking, etc.) that I'd prefer not to have to visit on a public computer. Have you thought about a netbook? They can be had for $300 and weigh under 4lbs.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
We have now completed our 7 night stay, and have the following comments to add:

Building 1 is a fantastic location in this property. Our room was 1 room away from the stairway to the pool and the lobby, and just down the hall from the path to the parking garage. I was also able to access the pool wireless by sitting on the lanai in front of our bedroom. We didn't see much of most of this property because everything we wanted was so close to our room.

Food is really expensive. We spent $18 including tip on a plate of nachos by the pool one day. But we found Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina 3 days into our trip, and ate their every afternoon after that. They serve real Hawaiian Plate Lunch along with many other grilled foods, and have a Happy Hour everyday between 2 and 6 with some of the best Mai Tais I have every had! Right on the ocean - cool ocean breeze usually wafting through the dining deck. Our most expensive meal was $42 for 3 people including alcohol.

This was our first trip to Maui so I can't compare the traffic, but it didn't seem bad at all while we were there.

Previous posters have stated issues with getting their rooms cleaned, but ours was always finished and in ship-shape by 10am every morning. I don't know if that was a function of low occupancy or that we were out of the room down at the pool by 8:30am every morning, but we got fantastic service.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:15 am

Has someone stayed in Building 6? Are all the rooms in Building 6 oceanview?
Can you recommend a room/suite # to ask for when I check in?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
At that price, one might be better off stopping by Costco (if flying into OGG) and purchasing snorkel equipment. They have a US Diver's set that's $60 IIRC.
Oops, strike that... The US Diver's set is $43, now less another $10 rebate.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by arcticgrin
Has someone stayed in Building 6? Are all the rooms in Building 6 oceanview?
Can you recommend a room/suite # to ask for when I check in?
we were just in Building 6 in Feb. All the rooms are great but i'd try and ask for the top floor. . which I think is 4th floor. The room couldn't compare to our Westin Villa (timeshare) but the view was priceless!

Very quiet, long LONG walk to lobby but not bad to the beach and can drive from lobby to separate parking up hill to building 6.

I video'd the room and view but spent quiet awhile on the whales off our balcony, the first few sec show the room.

here's a few pix too
http://hoeraufmaui2009.shutterfly.com/1049

http://hoeraufmaui2009.shutterfly.com/1047

http://hoeraufmaui2009.shutterfly.com/1044
http://hoeraufmaui2009.shutterfly.com/1045
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Hvanv0405
we were just in Building 6 in Feb. All the rooms are great but i'd try and ask for the top floor. . which I think is 4th floor. The room couldn't compare to our Westin Villa (timeshare) but the view was priceless!

Very quiet, long LONG walk to lobby but not bad to the beach and can drive from lobby to separate parking up hill to building 6.
I've stayed in the rooms over there twice and it is a quite nice location... makes up for the long trek to the rest of the hotel. I'd have no problem staying over there again. The view is quite nice and it is quiet.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: spg/gold, Hawaiianmiles
Upgrade on an upgrade?

What I mean is I was given the option of upgrading from a SPG reward room to a ocean view (or partial ocean view - I don't recall) at the Sheraton Maui for an additonal 2500 points per night. I didn't take it at the time but was told I could do it later.

Others have reported being upgraded to that level of room or even more at this resort being a gold member, of course with the usual caveats. That being said if I use some points to get the upgrade would it still be possible that I would be upgraded beyond that level?

The stay will be in the last week in August, past the prime summer travel season.

I stayed there with my family in 2007 in a deluxe ocean front room. We are mainly going for the location on the beach and the pool (for the kids). Still it would be nice to relax on the lanai with something to look at besides the parking lot. Any thoughts?

(This is a repost of same question on gold upgrade topic that didn't garner any replies)
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hvanv0405
At the Sheraton Maui right now and the top floor in Building 6 is the 5th floor, since we're currently on the 4th and there's one above us.

Great stay at the Sheraton as usual. Received an upgrade to Building 6 and it's a great view as usual right over the water.

Hotel does seem to be fairly busy but we're glad we chose the Sheraton over the Westin this time to avoid the crowds.

One interesting thing I noted was the Sheraton's "we tidy, you treat," program, where if you forgo housekeeping, you can get a $25 dining credit (or $40 if you do first seating at 5:30). Seems like a fairly good deal.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Correcting my previous post, it's $40 at Costco (in Iwilei).
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Or one could rent their snorkel equipment from the dive shop in Whalers Village (next to the ABC Store I believe) for a week for the price the Sheraton charges for a day. We did.
We rented a single mid-grade set after bringing one up from home for $6/day at the Snorkel Bob's site in Kapalua. Not bad.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
The Sheraton is definitely the better location if you intend to venture into the ocean (black rock snorkeling). The Westin tends to attrack more families, as their pool areas is superior; however, the Westin reminds me of something that could be had in southbeach. No need to fly to Hawaii for that.

In terms of the Sheraton, it's a very nice property, but nothing to write home to mother about.
Really hadn't thought about the Sheraton when looking at Starwood properties in Maui. The Sheraton is priced about the same in terms of $$ and starpoints as the Westin. With price being equal, has anyone been to both the Sheraton and Westin who can offer comparisons? I'll be traveling with 2 young boys and think they might really enjoy the pool area at the Westin. Is the Sheraton worth consideration?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...=Sheraton+Maui

Try this thread. I picked Sheraton today.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
To me it is pretty hard to fathom someone not bringing their laptop with them. I've been to Maui twice in the past 18 months and brought mine both times. Considering there is no personal IFE on the AA flights I've been on it doubled as a DVD player on the trip...plus when I get there I still want to be able to access websites (like personal banking, etc.) that I'd prefer not to have to visit on a public computer. Have you thought about a netbook? They can be had for $300 and weigh under 4lbs.
Sorry, but I guess we'll have to agree to have different opinions on this one. A business center is a perfectly acceptable solution, and is actually a nice profit center in most hotels. But I do think it's reasonable to expect internet access in a Sheraton, without REQUIRING somebody to bring the hardware with them.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:41 pm

One interesting thing I noted was the Sheraton's "we tidy, you treat," program, where if you forgo housekeeping, you can get a $25 dining credit (or $40 if you do first seating at 5:30). Seems like a fairly good deal.
Yes, we saw this too... unfortunately on our next to last day so we couldn't use it. But I think it's a great idea and I wish they had displayed the information more prominently (the card was tucked in our folder along with a bunch of menus and timeshare info... maybe a more prominent place to put it would be with the card about re-using towels?)
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:35 pm

a few questions for a newb

Hi all, I stumbled upon this forum via google, in reference to the Westin vs Sheraton thread.

I am pretty sure we are going to choose Sheraton maui for our Oahu-Maui honeymoon next October (or early November) 2010. This is based on several things I've come to determine in research, namely:

Better beach (satelite photos seem to confirm this)
Quieter location
Less screaming children
Newer building

Questions:

1)Can someone explain the Starwood Preferred Guest in laymen's terms? I found spg.com to be very confusing. I just want to know if there is any way for a new guest to get a discount, free night, etc. I believe we are going to stay in Outrigger Wakiki on the Beach in Oahu, but is there a discount to stay at two starwood hotels (such as [Westin] Moana Surfrider and Sheraton)? Should I mention we are on honeymoon when we arrive?

2)Shuttle service vs rental car. The Sheraton site lists shuttle to surrounding areas. Lahaina? Airport? Also, we want to do the Road to Hana. I was told you can rent a car right at the Sheraton for 1 day to do that. Is it worth getting a car for all 5 days we'll be in Maui or just that 1 day? Will a cab cost just as much for airport pickup and dropoff on arrival and departure day?

3)Assuming we book the cheapest rate, what building are we likely to end up in?

4)Does snorkeling at Black Rock on Ka'anapali rival the Hanauma Bay experience on Oahu? Should we skip Hanauma Bay since we can snorkel right at Black Rock in the latter part of our trip?

Any other advice/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by realist9350; Aug 11, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.