Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT JAN 1, 2010: Sheraton Belgravia, London [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT JAN 1, 2010: Sheraton Belgravia, London [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

I've now been contacted by Starwood Customer Service and they're looking into the issues surrounding my stay. I do think the hotel is taking my comments seriously. There were no serious issues, just a lot of little issues that added up for a less than good stay.

I am just happy to have been contacted.

Thank you for your help, William!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:39 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

"My dear Belgravia friends & residents,

Two and a half years have passed since I arrived as Hotel Manager for the Sheraton Belgravia and I am writing to you as a loyal supporter of the hotel as it is now time for me to move on to new challenges.

Belgravia has been a wonderful experience and through your loyal patronage and the hotel associates’ spirit, we have been able to put Sheraton Belgravia on the map. As I look back at the memories of my first operational role as Hotel Manager, I will leave with a big smile on my face.

From next week I will be moving to New York to take up a very exciting new role as Director of Operations at W New York The Court & The Tuscany.

Paul Dunphy, a long-lasting Starwood colleague, will arrive at the end of September to take over from me and I am confident that he will continue to evolve the Sheraton Belgravia as warm home away from home in the heart of London for all of you, known for that little extra touch of Belgravia hospitality.

During my time here I treated the hotel as if it were a home and each guest a resident of our home for the time they were staying with us. I know that Paul will continue this spirit of welcome.

If your travels should bring you to New York please do let me know and I would be delighted to share the hospitality of my new adopted city! So hopefully, see you soon again in The Big Apple, but I hope the Sheraton Belgravia continues to be your hotel of choice in London.

With warmest personal regards,

Sofia L. Vandaele
Hotel Manager, Sheraton Belgravia Hotel
[email protected]"
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by yyznomad
For the amenity gift, I chose the Belgravia Teddy Bear... cute little fella but it kinda looks like he's frowning (his name is "George Bear" and the brand is "Channel Island Toys")... anyone else choose the teddy bear? ^
I stayed there last Friday night, using the CAT 5 C+P rate.

There was a Teddy bear on my bed.
You mean I could have taken him home?

Not being Plat, I didn't think of it as a gift.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:25 am

Do UK SPG hotels offer 500 pts Plat amenity ??

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, SN Brussels Airlines, United Airlines, Lufthansa, Eurostar
Thumbs up

^
Yes, the SPG UK Hotels do offer 500pts Platinum amenity.

And in reply to the question on the Teddy Bear, you can choose it as an amenity instead of points or any of the other amenities, but the one on the bed will be charged if you choose to take it home with you.

It is a lovely cuddly Teddy Bear indeed, exactly how the hotel feels when you stay there.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Welcome to FT Floppie!

Thanks as well for the clarification on the bear. We are staying at this hotel next month on a promo award, so I might just go for the bear instead of 500 points. Not sure why as I'm a grown man in my 30s, but what the heck?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Floppie
^
Yes, the SPG UK Hotels do offer 500pts Platinum amenity.

And in reply to the question on the Teddy Bear, you can choose it as an amenity instead of points or any of the other amenities, but the one on the bed will be charged if you choose to take it home with you.

It is a lovely cuddly Teddy Bear indeed, exactly how the hotel feels when you stay there.
thanks
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:30 pm

December stay - trying to decide.

Any more recent feedback on Belgravia? I used to stay at this Hotel many years ago when it was something else. I forget what now.

I am considering the '5th night free' point award.
I emailed the Hotel and asked about a King room, with a sleeping option for my two teens to join me for 2 nights.

I always use Hilton points in London, but its time for a change. I read a lot of Starwood London posts. The Sheraton Tower sounds dated and too much risk of poor room. The Le Meridien sounds hit and miss also, the Park Lane sounds a disaster.
As a Gold I don't expect any mega upgrade...just an honest value for my hard earned (on my own dime) points.

rdy

Last edited by RDY3238; Sep 13, 2007 at 5:07 pm
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:48 am

Just got back from a stay at the Belgravia over the weekend.

Had two rooms on free award nights earned from the 'stay free times, earn a free weekend night' promo in Q3. These booked us in to traditional rooms, but on arrival at the hotel we were upgraded to a pair of Studio Suites instead ^ We were trying to check in early in the morning, but both rooms were occupied, so we downgraded one of the rooms (not mine ) to an Executive room instead so we could dump the luggage and get changed after the journey.

On arrival we received welcome drinks and a warm welcome. Very impressed with the service as it was genuinely welcoming. It is only a small hotel and this shows in the way that the staff have more time to spend attending to the guests.

The Platinum amenity list covered 500 points as usual, as well as a choice of wines and toffees in a Big Ben / London Bus moneybox tin. No more bear on the list, although it can be added to the bill for £15. For reasons unknown to me, my wife wanted a Big Ben tin with the toffees, so she got her way and I declined the points.

Anyway, that evening we were going to open the tin for a late night toffee fuelled sugar rush. Turns out that the toffees were a year out of date. Not too good as they are dairy toffees, so could in theory make someone a bit ill. I laughed it off, but phoned reception to get them to check their other stock as somebody may not be quite as happy to take it with a smile if they got ill. Turns out they were all out of date as I suspected. The hotel offered a fruit plate or wine and some points for the inconvenience. Took the fruit plate instead which was fine. Waiting to see if the 500 points hits the account this week as well.

As for the rooms, well the Executive room was of a good size with a large comfortable bed. The studio suite was about 40% larger with a sitting area with sofa and chairs. The studio suite also had Molton Brown toiletries rather than the standard Sheraton products.

All in all a very nice stay. Friendly staff and a very handy location if you know London well. Two minutes to the bus stop, 7 minutes walk to a couple of tube stations etc. We would definitely stay there again when in London.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Also at the Belgravia for two nights this past weekend on cash & points. Standard room clean and very acceptable. Very friendly staff. Would stay again without hesitation.

Close by I can recommend the Thomas Cubitt gastropub for good basic food, excellent beer and wine, and attentive, friendly service; the Valerie Patisserie for coffee, pastries and breakfast; Baker and Spice for light snacks, coffee and pastries.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
Booked a week at Belgravia in Dec. based on feedback in this thread vs. the negative feedback on the Sheraton Park Lane.

So... if anything goes wrong with my stay... I'm blaming you folk! :-P hehe.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by brytpa

So... if anything goes wrong with my stay... I'm blaming you folk! :-P hehe.
Did I say it was good? Sorry, no it is ok, reasonable, rubbish etc

You should have a great time to be fair and I'm sure the hotel will look after you well. The Park Lane isn't bad from personal experience either, but I would say that you will get a greater sense of personal service from the Belgravia staff.

Hope you have a great time.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Did I say it was good? Sorry, no it is ok, reasonable, rubbish etc

You should have a great time to be fair and I'm sure the hotel will look after you well. The Park Lane isn't bad from personal experience either, but I would say that you will get a greater sense of personal service from the Belgravia staff.

Hope you have a great time.
hehe thank you!

Park Lane was the first one I'd looked at on account of location, though definitely was scared off by some of the reviews and some of the photos over on tripadvisor. I suppose I could have easily avoided some of those more basic, less-favored rooms being Platinum by the time my trip to London comes around but the more I looked at Belgravia the more it looked to be a place I'd enjoy based upon it's own merit/qualities/features, regardless of other properties around.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences! I'm sure that for every one person like us posting, there are countless others reading reviews and trip reports and learning quite a deal from them!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I'm a huge fan of the Belgravia as well. Though Sophia is gone, Paul's done a great job helping me out on an extended work stay. The platinum treatment has been good as well, keeping me in an upgraded studio suite the entire time (2+ wks). T
Old Dec 15, 2007, 2:15 am

I'm actually writing this from the lobby/lounge of the Belgravia in the midst of a week long stay here. Sipping coffee and getting a little work done but decided to swing by and make a post.

So far, the stay has been great! I've been incredibly impressed, most especially, with the service.

It is evident that the management takes service very seriously and, more importantly, so does the staff. Everyone - from reception to concierge, housekeeping to wait and room service staff - has been incredibly helpful and friendly out of what seems to be a genuine desire to be that way.

We arrived at the hotel very early on our checkin day (around 9am) and I was only hoping to leave our luggage here and go out and explore, but my companion was very tired after a transatlantic flight and they didn't hesitate at all in making a room available to us to rest up, get showered and settled and so forth before we continued on with what we had planned for the day.

Because we arrived so early, we were just given one of their executive rooms. We found it to be rather... "cozy". hehe. But they did offer an upgrade, and even offered to pack up our bags and move everything for us while we were out but we just chose to stay settled and rest for a bit, and then move to our upgraded room the next day.

The new room is a studio suite, which is more than spacious and very comfortable.

Though much of the furniture and decor is traditional and old fashioned, it all seems in quite good shape and likely new or at least not too old. Everything in working order, no damage or scuffs or visible signs of wear and tear. Heating works great, water pressure is great, bathroom has lots of space and looks very nice, bed is comfortable, plenty of power outlets, nice large and soft towels, so on, so forth.

Above all and again, though, the service has been great. When my power adaptor blew a fuse, they were more than happy to bring 2 new ones up to me within, literally, 2 minutes of my calling downstairs. When our TV acted up for a slight moment, a call downstairs had a staff member to our room and fixing it in less than 5 minutes. It seems no task is too big or too small for any staff member. Rather than waiting around while they pass duties off to whomevers job description covers it, it seems everyone is willing to attend to whatever helps the guest the most. The concierge brought up our luggage. The reception staff brought up our new room keys when we were upgraded. Reception, as well, brought up the adaptors.

Barring any kind of catastrophe between now and checkout, I'd highly recommend this property. The entire hotel can seem pretty small at times (ceilings a bit low, elevators small, and such) but that's none too rare for London. Staff is some of the best I've come across at any SPG or non SPG properties in years, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.