Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by speedbird9
Hi:

I am thinking about a trip to Greece. I am a Starwood Gold, pretty low balance under 40K as I just spent all my miles touring Asia last month.

I have wed-sun. I arrive in Cologne connect to Dusseldorf then onto Athens.

What are the best Starwood properties in Greece. Any advice on where to go. I am open. Maybe a couple of nights in Athens and a couple somewhere else...all the time in Athens....Mykonos?

What are your suugestions. I would love to travel Champagne Taste and beer budget
Please Help me....It will be a surprise for my better half.

Thanks.

P.
your 40K points won't get you a whole lot now with SPG in Greece. I'd suggest 2 options:

1 - using SPG for Grande Bretange in Athens for 2 nights 24-32K and finding a non SPG option in Mykonos or Santorini.

2 - use SPG points for 2 nights at SPG in the islands and stay non-SPG in Athens. There are some cool new hip & cheap hotels in Athens.

Because you are there for a short time, I'd suggest flights vs ferries. The new subway is a great way to get to/from the airport from Athens.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I posted a question here about Starwood hotels in Greece, you should seach my posts. We are planning a June/July 07 trip to Greece and wanted to use our Starwood points before the devaluation. We booked two nights at the Grande Bretagne in Athens (gets fabulous reviews, one of T&L's top 500 hotels in the world), 5 nights at the Santa Marina in Mykonos and 3 nights at a non-starwood in Santorini. I was torn between the Santa Marina and Blue Palace. The Blue Palace gets better reviews but in the end we picked the Santa Marina because we wanted to see Mykonos and it's much closer to athens and santorini than Crete. The Vedema in Santorini does not get good reviews, supposedly a bad location. Mystique looks fabulous but at 50000+ points per night, we didn't have enough points.

I have been to Santorini before and it is so beautiful! And if you are flying into Athens it would be a shame not to see the sights. If I were you, I'd use your points to spend 2 nights in Athens at the Grande Bretagne, and then spend 2 nights at a non-starwood in Santorini. Look at Anastasis Apartments, gets great reviews on trip advisor and has very reasonable rates (less than 200 Euro per night in peak season).

For transportation between the islands check out Aegean Air. Aegean and Olympic Airways are the two primary inter-island airlines, and we were able to buy flights on Aegean for about 20 to 27 euros each way!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, HH Diam, SPG Plat
Athens - don't forget Arion

The GB in Athens is fantastic, but if you only plan to do some sightseeing, think about staying at the *wood hotels just outisde the city. The Arion (Luxury Collection)gives you a 5 star resort with beach that's 30 minutes from downtown Athens. The decor is a little more contemporary than the formal GB. Problems with service in the past are being addressed with new management.

If not the Arion, the Westin is next door.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by playthegame
The GB in Athens is fantastic, but if you only plan to do some sightseeing, think about staying at the *wood hotels just outisde the city. The Arion (Luxury Collection)gives you a 5 star resort with beach that's 30 minutes from downtown Athens. The decor is a little more contemporary than the formal GB. Problems with service in the past are being addressed with new management.

If not the Arion, the Westin is next door.
Can anybody comment on the Arion vs. Westin Astir Palace? Which is the better place to stay? Seems like both properties are literally right next to each other...

Also, am thinking about doing what you said, i.e. stay outside of the city and just do the Athens sightseeing during the day. Is transportation easy to arrange? Does the Arion or the Westin have shuttles into the city? Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Arion vs Westin

I wanted to revisit this thread as I was searching for an answer to domirule's question.

My brother is going to Greece for 2 weeks in August on his honeymoon. As a gift I was planning to give him a couple of nights in Crete and cover his 3 nights in Athens. The Arion and the Westin both have cash and points options I was hoping to utilize which the GB did not. Is one better than the other? Is there any type of shuttle to take you to downtown? Just looking for some insight from those who have stayed.

Thanks

Last edited by ghia74; Oct 31, 2007 at 9:33 pm
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:08 am

I'll answer my own questions since I just returned from my 9-day Greek holiday a month ago... Stayed at the Westin Astir Palace for 2 nights, 1 night at the GB, 1 night at the Mystique, 1 night at the Vedema, and 3 nights at the Blue Palace. All award stays. Had very nice stays at all of the above properties except for the Blue Palace. I will write about the Westin and the GB here...

Westin Astir Palace vs. the Arion

Both properties are located in the same "Astir Palace Complex", and they're located about 3-5 minutes apart on foot. I believe Starwood is putting a W in the same complex as well, and it could be completed by next year.

I had a 2-night award stay at the Westin. The front desk staff, particularly Katerina, were superb. I was running into some problems securing ferry tickets to Crete, and the staff were really helpful and took the time to listen and answer my questions. After I concluded my trip, I phoned SPG corporate to commend them for their excellent services. The Westin itself has a more modern, newer feel compared to the Arion. I didn't see the guest rooms at the Arion but did see the lobby area. I much preferred the more airy feel, more modern look of the Westin.

The guest room at the Westin was quite nice. The bathroom was spacious with separate rooms for toilet and shower...bath tub was located on the other side of the bathroom opposite the shower. Bath amenities were the standard Westin brand toiletries. I had a room on the 3rd floor (if I remembered correctly), with a balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean. Very nice view. There were fresh flowers in both the room and the bathroom. I got a fruit plate, but not sure if it's a standard amenity or if it's for Platinum members... Complimentary wired internet access in the room. Complimentary buffet style breakfast down at the pool level... Again, not sure if it's standard or if it's special for Platinum members.

In terms of facilities, the Westin had a very big outdoor pool, with a private beach next to it. Not sure about the Arion... In any case, facilities are shared so if you want, you can use the indoor pool at the Arion.

There is 1 complimentary shuttle that takes you from right in front of the Arion to downtown Athens (Syntagma Square). The ride will take about 30~40 minutes...shuttle leaves the Arion at about 9:15 in the morning...shuttle leaves from Syntagma Square back to the Arion at about 15:00 in the afternoon. The return time may be a too early if you're planning to do a whole day of sightseeing in and around Athens. Cab ride from Syntagma back to the Astir Palace will cost you about 25~30 Euros. I think you can take the tram from city center, but it doesn't take you all the way to the Astir Palace...perhaps 2/3 of the way there, and then you have to hop on a cab.

As for the restaurants... We tried to have dinner at the Westin but everything was booked. The only restaurant that had seats available was the Gourmet Grill over at the Arion. We ordered steak and fish, and neither was up to par. Pricey and bad taste, not a good combination...would recommend you to stay away.

The Grand Bretagne, on the other hand, sits right on Syntagma. The location is extremely convenient... Subway stop right next to the hotel to take you around Athens The same subway line also goes all the way to the airport (6 Euros or 10 Euros for 2). There were also very frequent buses to the airport (3.2 Euros) right across from the hotel, something like every 10~15 minutes during the peak hours. The service at the GB feels a bit different compared to the rest of the SPG properties in Greece. Quite refined and formal...perhaps due to the fact that so many celebrities and dignitaries stay there. During our 1-night award stay there, Clinton was visiting, which called for extra security measures such as metal detectors and x-ray machines at the entrance. I was upgraded to the 6th floor and had a very large balcony overlooking the Syntagma. We were told that the room has one of the best views...and it was indeed true, the view was absolutely superb, with the Parliament building to the left, the Square in the middle, and the Acropolis to the right. The 6th floor was the butler floor, although I don't think there's really anything special other than a private concierge on call for all of your needs. I'm pretty sure Platinum members do NOT always get upgraded to the butler floor because there are not so many rooms on the 6th/7th floors... I think we got the nice upgrade due to the fact that my wife and I were on our honeymoon.

The GB went through a remodel not long ago, but the room itself still retained the classic/elegant look... 2 bottles of compliementary water but internet access was not free.

Will try to post reviews of the Greek island properties later...
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, SQ PPS
Starwood has some great hotels in Greece. I came back from a two week trip.

Blue Palace is absolutely amazing! The views, the rooms, the amenities and the service are fantastic. I am a platinum and was instantly recognized upon check in. Upgraded to the highest point on the cliff in a duplex bungalow with a plunge pool and two full bathrooms. The spa and gym are above average. Not many fitness machines, but plenty of room to stretch out. Food is expensive in the resort. Options are plentiful nearby, if you have a car or you can go to Plaka which is within walking distance. I recommend renting a car in Crete. Makes life much easier with meal options and sight seeing around the island.

Grand Bretagne is first class all the way. Upgraded to a jr suite with butler service. Service is very personable, but not overbearing. Spa and gym facilities are great. Spa offered different types of scented steam rooms. One was herbal. The gym has a decent amount of equipment tightly squeezed into a narrow room. Room is ornately decorated and the bathroom is huge.

Santa Marina. Average hotel. Service is below average. No recognition as a Plat. Hotel is located on a private sand beach which is a plus, but Mykonos is full of beaches. Food was average, but plenty of options in nearby towns that are within walking distance and/or short cab rides away. The spa and gym were average. The quality of the rooms were below average for a luxury collection. The beach is nice. If you plan to spend your nights partying and sleeping on the beach during the day, then this could be an option, but then it's not worth the Euros.

Vedema. I liked this hotel a lot. It is very unique. The views are of vineyards and not the caldera. The hotel restaurant, Visante, has some of the best food on the island. I was upgraded to villa with a private pool and jacuzzi. Great treatment as a Plat. Service was fantastic. Shuttles are available to the black sand beach and into Fira. Taxis are expensive in Santorini. Fira is 12 and Oia is 25 Euros. This hotel is a welcomed change from Santa Marina. The spa and gym are built inside caves. The equipment is dated, but most certainly functional and plentiful for a hotel gym. The villa was nicely furnished. It even had a mini refrigerator to stock up on beverages purchased from a mini mart right outside the hotel.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for the higher end properties, there is also discussion is the luxury hotels forum. another good reference, for things like info/rates for all room categories (mainly for GR hotels) is this site. > http://www.interdynamic.net/
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite;SPG Platinum;HH Gold;
Starwood hotels in Greece

We are thinking of going to Greece in June and will be using our points to stay in Starwood Hotels. Any suggestions and does it help if I am a Platinum
member.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
The Grande Bretagne in Athens is a must. Great hotel and it should definitely help if you are platinum. Try to book a junior suite and make sure you get breakfast included as they serve it on the top floor with spectacular views of the Acropolis.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:25 am

Hotel Grand Bretagne

Originally Posted by rtc1144
We are thinking of going to Greece in June and will be using our points to stay in Starwood Hotels. Any suggestions and does it help if I am a Platinum
member.
I want to echo wripro comments. My wife and I stayed at this hotel in 2006. Awesome! We used points and it cost 10,000/night. A great experience.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
In addition to the Grande Bretagne, I can highly recommend Blue Palace. Great resort hotel. I cannot on the other hand highly recommend Santa Marina.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:31 pm

Any recient words about the Astir properties, Arion or Westin.

Understand "W" is unter construction...Great.. Three SPG properties
adjacent on the Athens Coast.

Have driven by many times on recient trips to Athens.

Hope to stay for a week or so this fall when the wx cools down, however
have read very mixed reviewes about the lack of intrest regarding
the staff. Some have indicated they are quite rude to the guests.

I due hope the staff is not at terrable and rude as I have read abt..

Rgds,
JR
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Here are links to the master threads we've created to date on Greek Starwood hotels:

Greece

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 4, 2008 at 1:02 am
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:37 am

Just got back from the Westin Astir and indeed the staff was probably the worst I have seen at a hotel of this caliber. When they did not 'forget' our requests, they made it clear they were doing you a favor.

That said, the facilities and area are beautiful.

Originally Posted by jdrtahoe

Hope to stay for a week or so this fall when the wx cools down, however
have read very mixed reviewes about the lack of intrest regarding
the staff. Some have indicated they are quite rude to the guests.

I due hope the staff is not at terrable and rude as I have read abt..

Rgds,
JR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.