Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by glenny84
I'm here on a one-night stay right now. I do have to agree with others that state that the hotel overall is outdated. The rooms are okay I guess. It seems as if the furniture is a bit dated. However, for $119 a night, I'll take it. As a Platinum they've really taken care me so far.

I got upgraded to the Lehua Suite, which is 1 separated bedroom and 2 full bathrooms, plus a living area. Its right on the ocean front..unfortunately it doesn't have a view of the manta rays.

As a plat here's what i got:
Free internet access (standard for all plats anyways)
Free valet parking
2 free drink coupons
2 free water coupons
15% off at all restaurants

I still have to pay the resort fee, however the free valet parking is great. The staff is here is quite friendly and helpful. For a $119/night hotel I'd have to say that I'm pretty satisfied.
FWIW, the resort fee here already covers Internet, two free drinks, and self parking.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

FWIW, the resort fee here already covers Internet, two free drinks, and self parking.
Didn't realize that. Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'll be staying at this property in two weeks, and just wanted to get an idea of the perks for an SPG gold member.. Can I expect to be upgraded to a suite, or will they keep me in the room that I booked? Any discounts on meals at the hotel?

As far as perks for a Platinum, what kind of room might I get upgraded to? I'm hoping to hit Plat in time for this stay..
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'll be staying at this property in two weeks, and just wanted to get an idea of the perks for an SPG gold member.. Can I expect to be upgraded to a suite, or will they keep me in the room that I booked? Any discounts on meals at the hotel?

As far as perks for a Platinum, what kind of room might I get upgraded to? I'm hoping to hit Plat in time for this stay..
Perks are limited to upgrades if available. No food discounts and no lounge at this property. Gold upgrade *may* involve a partial ocean view, and Platinum would be an ocean view or ocean front or a suite.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
You also get one or two free drinks at their bar (in exchange for the resort fee) IIRC
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by btravel112
You also get one or two free drinks at their bar (in exchange for the resort fee) IIRC
Must be a new deal....my reservation pre-dated the mandatory resort fee. I wonder what they would offer those who don't drink...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
I'm looking to go to the big island in July and book with either Cash&Points or just Points.
As this is the only SPG hotel on the island (or am I wrong?), I guess i'll stay here even though the reviews aren't spectacular, to say the least.

Option 1:
6 nights for 50K points (5th night free)

Option 2:
6 nights for 24K points & $360 (Cash & Points).

which one should I choose? I don't necessarily want to spend too much money, since this will be one of three islands on a three week vacation. So i'll be pretty broke at the end of the trip anyways. But I'd like to use as little cash as possible.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by index411
I'm looking to go to the big island in July and book with either Cash&Points or just Points.
As this is the only SPG hotel on the island (or am I wrong?), I guess i'll stay here even though the reviews aren't spectacular, to say the least.

Option 1:
6 nights for 50K points (5th night free)

Option 2:
6 nights for 24K points & $360 (Cash & Points).

which one should I choose? I don't necessarily want to spend too much money, since this will be one of three islands on a three week vacation. So i'll be pretty broke at the end of the trip anyways. But I'd like to use as little cash as possible.
The way I view C&P options is that you are "buying" the points saved for the amount of the additional money spent. If you're a regular *points earner, it can be worth it. Just need to ask yourself whether you want to purchase *points.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Between standard awards and C&P awards, C&P is almost always the better value. The only time that the C&P is a worse value is when the cash-only price is extremely low.

And that's almost the case here when compared to the nonrefundable rates. At least for some dates in July, the NR cash price is so low that redemption value of points can drop to at least as low as 1.62 cpp. That's accounting for taxes but not considering the lost opportunity cost of earning points for a paid stay. For some dates, I see the Z3R and Z6R promo codes bring down the cash price to just $119/night. That makes the redemption value of points on a standard award 1.62cpp and on a C&P award 1.68cpp -- only barely any better.

If you are desperate to save cash but can opt for the C&P awards, then you'll have the additional points for a future stay at a better redemption value.

If the "nonrefundable" rate is something that you absolutely wouldn't book anyway, then the value is probably closer to around 2.3cpp for a standard award or 3.1cpp for C&P (including taxes).

See also...
C&P Math
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:10 pm

Ahh, excellent, thank you!
That makes more sense.

I'll have to see how "firm" I can make my commitment to be there at those dates. For $119/night with the two promo codes you mentioned, that makes this a fantastic deal to stay there.

How far in advance do I have to book to take advantage of Z3R and/or Z6R ?

Originally Posted by sc flier
Between standard awards and C&P awards, C&P is almost always the better value. The only time that the C&P is a worse value is when the cash-only price is extremely low.

And that's almost the case here when compared to the nonrefundable rates. At least for some dates in July, the NR cash price is so low that redemption value of points can drop to at least as low as 1.62 cpp. That's accounting for taxes but not considering the lost opportunity cost of earning points for a paid stay. For some dates, I see the Z3R and Z6R promo codes bring down the cash price to just $119/night. That makes the redemption value of points on a standard award 1.62cpp and on a C&P award 1.68cpp -- only barely any better.

If you are desperate to save cash but can opt for the C&P awards, then you'll have the additional points for a future stay at a better redemption value.

If the "nonrefundable" rate is something that you absolutely wouldn't book anyway, then the value is probably closer to around 2.3cpp for a standard award or 3.1cpp for C&P (including taxes).

See also...
C&P Math
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I'll have to see how "firm" I can make my commitment to be there at those dates. For $119/night with the two promo codes you mentioned, that makes this a fantastic deal to stay there.

How far in advance do I have to book to take advantage of Z3R and/or Z6R ?
Unknown. The hotel could keep it until the date of check-in, or they could pull it whenever they want. And it could sell out, of course. Ultimately, it's up to the hotel's revenue/rates manager.

The promo rate could even get yanked altogether and then returned later.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:45 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Hotel was sold last week. It's a little unclear from the article whether it will continue to be a Sheraton.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/secti...als-claim.html
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RLG
Hotel was sold last week. It's a little unclear from the article whether it will continue to be a Sheraton.

Vieira said the new owners plan to invest money in renovations.
+1

It could really use it!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by RLG

I hope they continue as a Sheraton - love or hate this property, we definitely need a SPG hotel on the Big Island.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:33 am

shoot, i was waiting to book with points for a trip in july.
I wonder what will happen now?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.