Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:44 pm

Just came back from staying Saturday night. As a gold, they offered me either an upgrade to the 15th floor with a view or a pool room with balcony. We took the high floor. I did ask about Club privileges, but was told I had to be platinum. This is a good location for the Hollywood Bowl. Just one stop on the Metro and then the walk to the Bowl. Had drinks in the lobby bar and wait staff was pleasant and brought over (unasked for) chips, which was nice. A very pleasant stay. Oh, and I stayed on a AAA rate and for the first time ever, I was asked to show my card.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Any Recent stays?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Stayed this past weekend and was told "we have no upgrade for you" (I didn't ask, was just told). Bathrooms are incredibly small and zero counter space. The lounge was open in the evening, but breakfast was in the restaurant (and only the cold buffet, $8 to upgrade to the hot food, which seemed high for 2 kids). We had a very nice dinner in the restaurant; the food quality was very good and we had a great waiter (and again at breakfast). Valet was $23; regular parking is $18.
Old May 14, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Disappointed

Stayed here for 2nd time in 6 months - and disappointed again. No real upgrade (Plat member) - did receive a corner room on 14th floor and was told no jr. suites or any other type of upgrade was available - even though the property was virtually empty. How did I know that? Well maybe 6 people in restaurant - both at dinner and at breakfast. This property just does not upgrade. Another strange thing - the Club Room charged us $8.00/glass for their house wine - yet the same exact wine was available during Happy Hour at the lobby bar for $4.00!!!! So much for the treatment of loyal SPG members.

Unless there is a management and philosophy change do not believe we will be returning.......
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:12 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Have stayed here 3 times in the past 18 months, as we have family in Sherman Oaks, and it's the closest *wood property to where they live.

3 times we've stayed, 3 times at least 1 of the 3 elevators has been out of service. This is a 19 or 20 story hotel, and we've had significant waits each time. End up having to go up to get a down elevator from our floor, or you just won't get on. Even if all 3 are working, if there's a conference or large group registered, and they are all leaving at the same time, I bet the wait is lengthy.

Having said that, the staff at this hotel is always top notch, and the pool and hottub are very comfortable.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Have stayed here a few times and best upgrade as a platinum has been a club floor room.

My room this stay has been quite warm. Maintenance came up and said the heat is on in the bldg and there is nothing more he can do except turn on a fan that is stored in the closet!

Called down to front desk. The front desk person could care less and finally agreed to move me to a room by the pool that has a sliding door that opens. He tried to talk me out of it saying that I'm in a club room and the room he was going to move me to was not a club room.

Get to new room on first floor. There is a door that is completely open to the outside on the ground level facing the exterior of the hotel (not the pool area). This is not safe, in my opinion, to have the door open. Call the front desk: "we're at 95% occupancy and there's really nothing I can do." Grrr. Blind transfers me to his manager.

She is able to locate a room on the 2nd floor that has 2 queen beds and a private balcony. I agree to take the room. This is after she complains to me that she was just getting ready to go home and that she's tired and wants to go to bed! Gee, I'd like to go to bed too! I also indicate that I'm not paying for the room tonight due to the problems and that she should make a note of it. She says "fine, no problem" and hangs up.

No one apologized or offered anything.

I'm sure this Sheraton will do fine without my business - with all the choices in the area I know I won't be staying here again!

Last edited by cohighcountry1k; Nov 16, 2010 at 11:40 pm
Old May 16, 2011, 12:04 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Heading back again later this month, got a targeted e-mail offering "Club Floor, including hot hors d'oeuvres and breakfast" for $30 more/night.

I expect we'll be out every evening, is a room on the club floor and the Club room breakfast worth $30 for two people?
Old May 30, 2011, 4:25 pm

Decided against the offer, and asked for and got Club Floor upgrade anyway.

First room was 2 doubles (we had asked for King), called down, desk told us to wait in the room for a bellman, in under 5 minutes we had keys to a King across the hall.

Elevators were SWIFT this visit, not sure how they managed that, but was appreciated. Club lounge had decent breakfast, and ok hors d'oeuvres
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
I'm checking in with my family on Friday for 3 nights.

Anyone know what the Club Lounge hours are?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Hvanv0405
I'm checking in with my family on Friday for 3 nights.

Anyone know what the Club Lounge hours are?
I believe its 6:30-9:30am for breakfast and 5-8pm for the hor deurves. Long time resident at the Sheraton Universal. Need to find a better SPG hotel that doesn't require a killer commute to Burbank.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:19 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by lollertank
Need to find a better SPG hotel that doesn't require a killer commute to Burbank.
Good luck!
Old May 7, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Suggestions for restaurants in the area???

I will be traveling there in a few weeks with a friend who does not like to spend big bucks for meals, so none of the places I was planning in Pasadena are going to work.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by highflier1979
Suggestions for restaurants in the area???

I will be traveling there in a few weeks with a friend who does not like to spend big bucks for meals, so none of the places I was planning in Pasadena are going to work.
Try out In & Out burger on lankershim/ventura blvd
Old May 7, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jammanxc
Try out In & Out burger on lankershim/ventura blvd
Mmmmmmm, was just there 2 weeks ago, it's not just a burger place it's, In-N-Out! Yum! Good suggestion indeed. I like this location in particular because it's a 5-10 minute walk to the Universal City station and if you don't have a car, it's convenient. There is also a Panda Express, Fat Burger and Carl's Jr, all close to each other too on Ventura. BTW, people in LA are a friendly bunch, seriously, even in fast food joints; maybe it's because I obviously looked like a tourist or a Canadian. LOL

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; May 8, 2012 at 6:24 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Any recent reviews? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.