Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:31 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, BA Gold
I stayed at the Hilton opposite last month. It's awful!

Old room
Poor buffet for breakfast
Small lounge area
Rude staff

Maybe the Sheraton will be better!
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:47 am

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
The only thing about the Sheraton Universal I like is the location. I had many problems at the Sheraton, so I decided to start staying at the Hilton next door. IMNSHO, The Hilton is a much better property, and I managed to pull Hilton gold because of my stays there.

This is pretty much the only bad starwood in all the southern california area that I've stayed in and some of the LA starwoods are excellent.

Starwood REALLY needs to open another property in the valley.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:47 pm
SST

I found nothing whatsoever to distinguish the club rooms from the regular rooms, which are mediocre at best. This hotel is highly overrated.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
After reading so many negatives about the Sheraton Universal, I was pleasantly surprised.

When I checked in, I asked how the property took care of golds.
A few clicks and I got a room adjacent to the pool on the Terrace level. Looked out my sliding glass door onto palm trees and the small pool. 2 chairs and a small table outside the door. I was happy. Also, very comfortable bedding. Much better that Westin.

I'd go back in a minute.
Old May 11, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by dhammer53
After reading so many negatives about the Sheraton Universal, I was pleasantly surprised.

When I checked in, I asked how the property took care of golds.
A few clicks and I got a room adjacent to the pool on the Terrace level. Looked out my sliding glass door onto palm trees and the small pool. 2 chairs and a small table outside the door. I was happy. Also, very comfortable bedding. Much better that Westin.

I'd go back in a minute.

Honestly that is good to hear. The location of this property is great (for me anyway) but this is one of the few hotels that I said I flat out hated. I hope that means they are turning the corner and making some improvements....hopefully hear some more responses like yours. I have wanted to stay here in the past to boost my SPG points but just couldnt and ended up in the Hilton next door instead. Hopefully we will hear some more positive things.
Old May 29, 2005, 8:33 am

Sheraton Universal - have I made an error?

I've booked the Sheraton Universal in June for a couple of nights at a rate of $149 - but after reading through quite a few posts on here, it seems many think this is Starwood's worst property in the LA area.

I have Plat staus with Starwood, and it seems that doesn't necessarily mean much at this hotel, so I'm considering other options. The only plus-point I can see for the hotel at this moment in time is that the picture of the pool looks nice!

The Westin Bonaventure is showing a good rate for my dates, although I've not stayed downtown before. Since I'm getting in on a Thursday and checking out on Saturday, is traffic likely to be a problem if I switched? Indeed, what's the opinion of the experts as to whether I should switch?

Can anyone suggest any other alternatives? The only thing on my agenda is a drive out to Camarillo, so the Universal originally looked like a good bet being on the right side of town.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pete
Old May 29, 2005, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Pete,

The Bonaventure always upgraded me to a suite as a Platinum.
I've stayed at that property several times over the years and haven't been disappointed.

I stayed at the Sheraton Universal 2 weeks ago as a gold. I asked 'how do you take care of golds '; and they gave me a poolside room on the Terrace level. There were a couple of chairs and a table outside my sliding glass door.

I thought the room was nicely decorated. Nothing to complain about.

It's always a good idea to gently remind the front desk staff of the terms and conditions of the *wood program.

Dan
Old May 29, 2005, 9:58 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by pixuk
The Westin Bonaventure is showing a good rate for my dates, although I've not stayed downtown before. Since I'm getting in on a Thursday and checking out on Saturday, is traffic likely to be a problem if I switched? Indeed, what's the opinion of the experts as to whether I should switch?
If you don't already know......for "stays" at the Westin Bonaventure between May 20-July 30, check www.travelzoo.com to get a $99 per night rate ($159 for a Tower Suite).

And since it actually books directly via SPG.com when using the link at Travelzoo (uses a special promo code: TVLZ), you'll still get Starpoints, stay/night credit and elite benefits (not sure about upgrades) for your "stay".

Nowadays, I always check Travelzoo.....ever since they listed a $169 per night rate for a junior suite at the Westin Copley Place in Boston that included full breakfast each morning.

A.J.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
I've stayed at both hotels within the past 6 weeks. The Bonaventure is simply a nicer hotel than the Sheraton, no complaints about the way this SPG Gold was treated in either location. Got a minor upgrade at the Westin to the 'Exec' room w/fax & free water, but nothing wrong with the Sheraton room either - the Universal is just a bit more shopworn and downmarket. Both hotels are very close to freeways.

In re location, the Westin is (depending on time of day traffic, of course) only 10-15 minutes further from Camarillo via the Ventura freeway. If you have the time, though (an extra hour and a half, perhaps) you could take the Santa Monica freeway out to the beach and go north on the Pacific Coast Highway. A very nice, occasionally spectacular run... and the Westin is closer to the start point (Santa Monica pier) than the Sheraton. Have fun!
Old May 29, 2005, 10:53 am

A.J. - Many thanks for that link! I've cancelled at the Sheraton Universal and grabbed that offer. Saving $100 and getting a better class of hotel makes this a very good Sunday!

Thanks for the tips too Dan & SportsTech. I like the sound of a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Pete
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:56 pm

Sheraton Universal Los Angeles

ANyone have a recent stay at the Sheraton Universal in LA? It is the most convenient for Universal tours and Hollywood.

Property is from '70s but photos of rooms look updated - sweet sleeper beds
Are rooms (rugs, paint etc) also updated - fresh and clean? What is best view to request?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
ANyone have a recent stay at the Sheraton Universal in LA? It is the most convenient for Universal tours and Hollywood.
The Sheraton Universal is virtually right across the street from Universal Studios. Maybe a couple of minutes walk.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
The usual caveat: do a search, yada yada

I stayed there about 6 weeks ago, it's not a great hotel but it's ok. Friendly staff, dated design, good beds. Great location for Universal, or the Valley, or even Century City/Sunset. Hilton next door is a better hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 5:56 am
Suspended

Universal City : Sheraton (Plat) or Hilton (Gold)

Most reviews seem to indicate that the Hilton is a better hotel.

However, I am SPG Platinum but only HHonors Gold . The Hilton is also more expensive for my dates.

Am I making a big mistake by changing my reservation to the Hilton ?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
You didn't mention how much the price difference is! Is it five dollars, or fifty?

Not having stayed in the Hilton, I can only say based on my stay at the Sheraton about three years ago: it is a perfectly nice hotel, with a spectacular spread in the lounge. You won't go hungry. But I hope they haven't cut corners since then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.