Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
Originally Posted by number_6
Sheraton Suites is pretty convenient (and there is a good Chicago steakhouse in the hotel next door). Nothing is closer (except the Hilton that is in the airport).
Harry Carey's in the suite hotel next door (I can't remember the brand) and Nick's Fishmarket in the office building on the other side.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Both Sheraton and Four Points border the airfield. You can see (but, as with much in suburban America, not walk to) the Suites from the O'Hare ATS system. It's also been showing alarmingly low rates lately.

The Westin is one stop away on the CTA Blue Line; again, slightly further but not appreciably. Never been to the Four Points.
pc
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
The Sheraton Suites is closer, followed closely by the 4Points, then the Westin. I have stayed at the Sheraton Suites several times when dealing with an early flight.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:32 pm

United put me up in the Westin. It was quite nice. With the shuttle it took ~10 minutes. The Blue Line CTA does run close, but why take the train when there is a free shuttle that runs about every 30 minutes or so.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
I've stayed at all 3 SPG properties at O'Hare over the past year.

My favorite is definitely the Westin.

Very frequent airport shuttle (never had to wait long for it), nice rooms w/ Heavenly beds, decent restaurant....close to the Blue Line.

As far as the others are concerned....

The 4pts's rooms are decent, but some are quite a distance from the elevators.

Also, their airport shuttle doesn't seem to run as frequently as the Westin's shuttle........as while I was waiting 25+ minutes for it, Westin O'Hare shuttles made 3 separate pickups.

I also had my issues with their restaurant during breakfast (spoiled grapefruit juice w/ fuit fly in it served to me ).

The Sheraton Suites is .......average.

Their suites are a bit dated.

Their breakfast buffet is okay......but nothing to write home about.

When I was there....all juice was served in small plastic bottles.

Shuttle service/frequency seemed to be somewhere in between the Westin and 4pts.

A.J.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:58 am

I've stayed at the Westin, the Sheraton Suites and the Four Points this past year as well as in previous years. In my view all are close and can be reached in equivalent time depending on the traffic. The Westin is the most upscale, with the Sheraton Suites a distant second. I usually choose these properties based on the meal I'm hoping to have. Nick's Fishmarket is just across the parking lot from the Sheraton Suites and is one of the best restaurants near O'Hare. If I stay at the Westin, I cross the street to where the Marriott is and have dinner in Carlucci's, an Italian Restaurant that is in the same complex. Carlucci's is OK. A 10 minute walk from the Westin is Morton's Steakhouse that is behind the Sofitiel.

The Four Points generally is the least expensive and the Westin the most expensive.

All have frequent bus service to O'hare.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
The Westin there is nice and the van picks you up from OHare, but I have stayed at Sheraton Suites twice in the past few weeks and find that it's a pretty good deal for your money. You get a buffet breakfast (if you're Plat- I am unsure if Gold/Silver get it) and the suites are pretty standard but they have a fridge and a comfy bed. It's nice to get a suite without having to worry about upgrades. They have SPG floors and while the bathrooms don't thrill me, neither do the ones at the Westin. And both hotels have the van that picks you up at the airport. (Tip- they usually leave the hotels at 20 minutes after the hour and on the hour so try to get to the shuttle/bus area accordingly.)

If you're VERY lucky you'll get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite at the Westin (happened one time in many stays) but they do usually upgrade me to a suite when I ask- a small living room and bedroom but there is no actual door between them. At Sheraton Suites you at least get a real suite and without having to ask. The decor at Westin is nicer, but Sheraton Suites has all you need.

If you're only spending a few hours there between flights, I think Sheraton Suites is the best bed for your buck. Westin is nicer, but why pay more if you're just there to sleep and fly? They are doing construction on the restaurant at Sheraton Suites, but they still offer the breakfast buffet in another area. I think that free breakfast makes the deal for me- it's a nice buffet for free. I also like the food there- the room service menu is a bit broader than usual, and the food (IMO) is very good.

My only gripe- the heat on the SPG floors, as they're higher, is too much. I had to open my window in the bedroom at Sheraton Suites and listen to noise all night to cool the room down. Westin didn't have windows that opened so it was annoyingly warm.

I like them both, but Sheraton Suites is definitely the better deal.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:35 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by thaliajen
bedroom but there is no actual door between them. At Sheraton Suites
My only gripe- the heat on the SPG floors, as they're higher, is too much. I had to open my window in the bedroom at Sheraton Suites and listen to noise all night to cool the room down. Westin didn't have windows that opened so it was annoyingly warm.

I like them both, but Sheraton Suites is definitely the better deal.
OMG! You are soooo right. I am at the Sheraton Suites tonight (I've stayed here before when I'm in/out of O'Hare <12 hours and happen to like this property). But I am sooo warm! I'm glad it's not just me

As thaliajen and others have mentioned - nice space, separate areas (bedroom separate from living area), two TVs, fridge, microwave upon request, one of the friendliest staffs, and the buffet is offered to Platinums (Golds dependent upon occupancy at the hotel according to the coupon I received). The rate for this weekend was great and included an extra 1K spg points (special promo on the spg.com site). All in all, I am pleased with this hotel. The proximity to O'Hare - took about 8 minutes to get here from the hotel shuttle area.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:07 pm

We found the Four Points rooms just ok and sort of depressing, and there was nothing (restaurants or shopping) around it. We took a cab to Harry Carey's for dinner. We took their shuttle (I think it was in a Holiday Inn?) to the airport and then the 4 Points shuttle back to the hotel. It was doable, but we agreed we wouldn't stay there again.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
I've also stayed in all three properties. From a value perspective, not knowing the exact rates your looking at, I would probably go with the Sheraton Suites. The prior posts do a good job describing it. The bed is more comfortable and the bathroom is larger/nicer (although it is still dated). I'd go with the SS if the rate is within $20 of the 4Pts.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by darcyt
We found the Four Points rooms just ok and sort of depressing, and there was nothing (restaurants or shopping) around it.
Indeed, the Four Points is over on the cargo end of the airport. It's very much an industrial area, with warehouses and off-airport parking lots and not much else.

Then again, if you're into watching planes, I suppose it's a good place if they're taking off from 14L/14R that day. I was standing outside the lobby of the hotel on Saturday (mattress run) and ANA's daily 773 to NRT was just going overhead. I hope the windows have some thick glass.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Hotels "near" O'Hare - how near are they?

I've got a night to spend at O'Hare, and I'm trying to avoid the airport Hilton. Does anyone know just how long it takes to get to O'Hare from the various *wood properties that are listed as "near" to the airport? I stayed at the Westin Chicago Northwest, which is listed as being on the periphery, but it took 30 minutes to get to the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The Westin O'Hare and the Sheraton Gateway Suites are less than two miles from the terminal. The Four Points is maybe another point.

The Sheraton Suites in Elk Grove is about a $15 cab ride west. Everything else is much further away.

Where is the Westin Chicago NW listed as being on-property at O'Hare?? Do you have a link?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Where is the Westin Chicago NW listed as being on-property at O'Hare?? Do you have a link?
Thanks for the info on the nearby hotels. The web site for the Westin Chicago NW https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...ropertyID=1760) describes it as "an O'Hare perimeter hotel", which is why I stayed there last time. But, of course, O'Hare has a huge perimeter!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If one knows the back way, the Sheraton Suites O'Hare is about 300 yards off the O'Hare airport property. It's particularly close if you're renting a car. Ask the attendant at the exit booth for the shortcut rather than using the terminal exit signs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.