Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Platinum
There is also a 4 Points near O'Hare but when I stayed there last month they were going through a major renovation. You might want to wait until the renovations are completed before considering a stay at this property. I don't know if the renovations have been completed as of yet.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I've recently stayed at the Westin O'Hare and it's a fine property. Above average Westin in the newer style. Would not hesitate to stay there again if in the area. It's also very convenient to the airport -- just a couple minutes away.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've recently stayed at the Westin O'Hare and it's a fine property. Above average Westin in the newer style. Would not hesitate to stay there again if in the area. It's also very convenient to the airport -- just a couple minutes away.
I agree with our fearless leader AZ, but if you are looking for a good meal, one of the best restaurants is located across the Sheraton Suite's parking lot. Nick's Fishmarket is one of the reasons I would prefer to stay at the Sheraton Suites. Even a dinner at the bar at Nicks is better than walking across the street from the Westin to Carlucci's.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I go with the Westin OHare usually, and just take the train one stop to Rosemont, exit and have a slightly brisk walk of 2 blocks or so to the hotel. Or if you have a car, than distance does not matter.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Thanks for the recommendation. I've never stayed at a Sheraton Suites, how does that measure up to a regular Sheraton (or 4Points or Westin)?
I've stayed at the Sheraton Suites O'Hare, the 4P O'Hare, but never that Westin. If you know Sheraton brand standards, that's what to expect from the Sheraton Suites. At this property rooms are divided, with a door, in proper suite style. I've never gotten an upgrade - I don't think there's another room category.

I'm not a fan of the O'Hare 4P and certainly would pay $30-50/night additional for the Sheraton Suites. The Holiday Inn across the SS parking lot had unsecured wifi...
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never stayed at a Sheraton Suites, how does that measure up to a regular Sheraton (or 4Points or Westin)?
I think the Sheraton shuttle runs every 20 minutes from ORD and the Westin shuttle every 15 minutes. The rooms are better at the Westin (at least what I have received), even though the Sheraton is an all Suites hotel. However, I listed the Westin as one of the hotels that does not upgrade to suites, as I think there probably are none. I have been given breakfast vouchers at the Sheraton, and at the Westin, you are on your one, as neither property has a a lounge where breakfast is served. The 4 Points is far below these two properties in my view. If I am planning to have dinner, then I choose the Sheraton. If not and it is only a overnight, I choose the Westin. I've done the Westin at least 4 times in the past two years, and have stayed at the Sheraton 3 times during that period.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Thanks for the info on the nearby hotels. The web site for the Westin Chicago NW https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...ropertyID=1760) describes it as "an O'Hare perimeter hotel", which is why I stayed there last time. But, of course, O'Hare has a huge perimeter!
To be fair, the hotel's webpage above clearly says, "An O'Hare perimeter hotel, The Westin Chicago Northwest is located just 12 miles from O'Hare International Airport and 27 miles from downtown Chicago."

My Google Earth files show the exact locations of the current surrounding hotels. In Google Earth, search for "ORD" to zoom in on O'Hare. Then zoom out a bit to see the surrounding area. I have also mapped a few future properties in the area. The Le Meridien Rosemont Walk is one to look forward to for its proximity to ORD.

The upcoming aloft and element properties are in a separate mapping file that I've not updated recently. I don't recall how precisely they are all mapped.

Also, over 12 miles SW of ORD, the new Westin Lombard, Yorktown Center (Cat3) opens on Aug 24, 2007. I wouldn't consider this to be an airport hotel, but it might interest someone.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If one knows the back way, the Sheraton Suites O'Hare is about 300 yards off the O'Hare airport property. It's particularly close if you're renting a car. Ask the attendant at the exit booth for the shortcut rather than using the terminal exit signs.
I stay at the property several times/year and if I have an oh-dark-early flight, it's my first choice of ORD-area *wood properties for that reason. Next closest would be a toss-up between the Westin & the FourPoints.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
...I've stayed at the Sheraton Suites O'Hare, the 4P O'Hare, but never that Westin. If you know Sheraton brand standards, that's what to expect from the Sheraton Suites. At this property rooms are divided, with a door, in proper suite style. I've never gotten an upgrade - I don't think there's another room category...
Exactly - it's fairly standard Sheraton branding. IIRC the property was previously an Embassy Suites and the rooms /suites reflect that in the floorplan.
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
...However, I listed the Westin as one of the hotels that does not upgrade to suites, as I think there probably are none. I have been given breakfast vouchers at the Sheraton, and at the Westin, you are on your one, as neither property has a a lounge where breakfast is served...
The Westin does have suites & does give PLT upgrades to the suites (I'm unsure about GLD upgrades). As a PLT at the Sheraton Suites, I've always received the breakfast vouchers, and I've heard of Golds receiving them as well, although not consistently.

Last edited by cawhite; Jul 31, 2007 at 3:29 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Just stayed at Both the Sheraton and Westin recently (Feb 2008). Im surprised to say I think Id pick the Sheraton Suites next time even at the same price. My Westin stay was rather disappointing. No upgrade, lots of door slamming noticeable, room service crap by my door at check-in (9:00pm) was still there in the morning. Same with one of the elevators it had garbage (soda bottle, candy wrappers, and other assorted junk) on the floor at 9:00PM and it was still there in the morning. My heavenly towels must have been from the original release as they were about 1mm thin and frayed. Not just one of them, but all of them. There was paint peeling over the shower and the old plastic heavenly showerheads were impossible to adjusts I hurt my thumb attempting. Even though I set the temp at 62 it was very hot in my room. My room must have had a Heavenly Bed 1.0 as the Sheraton bed was much more comfortable. And finally, the free coffee in the lobby was only lukewarm.

Except for a more elegant lobby, there was not much that the Westin offered that was an improvement over the Sheraton Suites.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 19, 2008 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
schriste, I definitely concur with you. I have been staying at both properties a LOT so far in 2008 and hands down, I would pick the Sheraton Suites. The hotel is in better shape, more comfortable bar to hang out in, free breakfast (at least for me as a Plat, YMMV), more reliable shuttle and bigger rooms.

The only thing the Westin has going for it over the Sheraton is their workout room opens at 4 AM (Sheraton Suites is 6 AM). Other than that, I much prefer the Sheraton Suites.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by sc flier
The upcoming aloft and element properties are in a separate mapping file that I've not updated recently. I don't recall how precisely they are all mapped.
The aloft and element hotels (the lowercase is going to get on my nerves big time) are over by Cumberland, which is about three miles east of the terminal complex -- two stops on the Blue Line.

To solve the ever-present riddle, the Sheraton Suites, Four Points, and Westin are all less than two miles from the terminal complex. The Sheraton and Four Points are across the street from airport property.

For those with an irrational fear of hotel shuttles: the Sheraton is within a mile of the last ATS station in Remote Lot E, although there are no sidewalks and a big fence around the property. Instead, go to Remote Lot F (just south of the hotel) and take the bus from there -- the Metra O'Hare Transfer station is also in Lot F, in case you want to take one of the few trains that stop there on weekdays. It's a reliable, fast service, but not at all frequent. (Schedules: http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/ncs/ncs.shtml)
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:42 pm
YYZ

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by schriste
Just stayed at Both the Sheraton and Westin recently (Feb 2008). Im surprised to say I think Id pick the Sheraton Suites next time even at the same price. My Westin stay was rather disappointing. No upgrade, lots of door slamming noticeable, room service crap by my door at check-in (9:00pm) was still there in the morning. Same with one of the elevators it had garbage (soda bottle, candy wrappers, and other assorted junk) on the floor at 9:00PM and it was still there in the morning. My heavenly towels must have been from the original release as they were about 1mm thin and frayed. Not just one of them, but all of them. There was paint peeling over the shower and the old plastic heavenly showerheads were impossible to adjusts I hurt my thumb attempting. Even though I set the temp at 62 it was very hot in my room. My room must have had a Heavenly Bed 1.0 as the Sheraton bed was much more comfortable. And finally, the free coffee in the lobby was only lukewarm.

Except for a more elegant lobby, there was not much that the Westin offered that was an improvement over the Sheraton Suites.
Agreed. Stuck there overnight in snowstorm two weeks ago. One restaurant that couldn't handle the flow, and bar area was not that comfortable (part of the same restaurant).

Rooms were decent size, but having stayed at the Westin Chicago River North and the Westin Michigan Avenue the night before and after, I would say the Heavenly Bed 1.0 at the Westin O'Hare was the 'crusty sheets' Heavenly Bed... not up to standard.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Headed to Chicago for a quick weekend trip with college friends - a couple are driving, and the combined cost (cash OR points) plus parking fees rule out staying downtown (2 cars, 2 rooms, 8 total people). So, we'll stay near ORD and take the train. Considering the 4 points using points - 2 rooms, 2 nights, 3k pts/night, so not a bad deal. Other options would be paying for the Westin at $139 (or c&p for $60 + 4k pts) or the Marriott SpringHill Suites ORD for $150.

The Marriott has free parking and breakfast which is a plus, but is about 6 blocks from the train station. Westin is about a block from the train, and the 4 pts we'd have to take the shuttle to ORD and train from there.

Heard the 4 points was recently rennovated, and pictures from Orbitz and others look nice despite so-so reviews from TripAdvisor. Reviews of the Westin generally are great (really nice rooms), and the Marriott have been good, too.

So, cost is a major factor, we like proximity to a train station, free parking is a bonus, breakfast is nice but not needed, and internet doesn't matter. Any thoughts/advice? Anyone know parking costs at the Westin or 4 Points?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Westin O'hara

Stayed here Friday evening, seems like the hotel is slowly losing it.
Second time I've checked into what seems to be a cleaned room, but find dirty towels on the bathroom floor and the coffe cups with coffee in them???
Granted top floor room as a gold, but that's it as far as status benefits.
I always like staying here, but there are alot of slips!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Westin Ohare is a mess... had to wait 20 minutes to check in at 11pm and room service took 1 hour.. was about to fall asleep. The next morning there was no hot water. Yikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.